• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question & Carfax please jh4na1280st000155

I am considering this 95' that is currently for sale on ebay, but only if I can get it at the right price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acur...016QQitemZ260183456340QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It is a salvage title and seller states that the vehicle was run over a curb and recieved damage to the undercarriage, front bumper, and suspension. He states all repairs were done at an Acura dealer with genuine parts. This would be my 3rd 95' automatic that I have owned, but I have no experience with salvage title vehicles. If anyone could give me advice on what to ask or request from the owner, or what to look for it would be appreciated. Your reccommendations on price would also be helpful.
thanks,
David

You don't need a carfax: you already know it is salvaged. I don't know what else you need to know.

You want to see the frame alignment sheet.

Have the car checked at a body/frame shop. If you don't have the frame alignment specs I would spend the $600 to get one before purchase.

Also make sure the car is not stolen or shows signs of VIN tampering.

I also recommend to read the 'sticky' thread at top of thread listing concerning you asking for someone to run a CARFAX for you.
If you really want one run, spend the $20.

ALWAYS pass on a salvaged vehicle - PERIOD!!!!!

ALWAYS pass on a salvaged vehicle - PERIOD!!!!!

How about for $5? Would you pass on it then?

Doubtful. Somewhere between $5 and $??K it is worth to deal with a salvage.

This NSX appears to be a flip in a matter of days since it's drive from NYC. The person you are buying it from has little knowledge to disclose. You should be extremely wary of this particular transaction.

Of course, Acura parts are used on this car: non OEM replacement parts are rare on the NSX.

Here is what you need to be "reasonably sure"

1. Have the local highway patrol conduct physical VIN check of the car. You make an appointment and they will physically go over the VINs and engine/trans numbers out of public view. They will then give a report of the validity of the vehicle (or they might even seize on the spot if something is not right)

2. Have the frame alignment checked at a frame shop with a laser machine. It costs several hundred dollars just to mount the car and give a basic report. (this not to be confused with a tire, wheel or rack alignment...).

I also recommend to read the 'sticky' thread at top of thread listing concerning you asking for someone to run a CARFAX for you.

Amen.

>>> Tips for this forum -- please read before posting <<<
...2. Don't post a VIN and ask someone to run a Carfax report for you. Carfax considers sharing reports a violation of their terms of service and will typically cancel the Carfax account of whoever runs the report to share with you. They actively monitor NSX Prime and other popular car forums looking for such violations.

The REASON it is a good idea not to post this thread WITH THE VIN IN IT is that CarFax monitors the forum. If they see someone posting a VIN and asking for the carfax, then whoever runs that VIN gets a nastygram from Carfax. So, you've screwed the person that did you a favor.

A smarter way to handle this, albeit still against the rules, would have been to say "anyone willing to run a carfax for me? I will PM you the VIN."

A smarter way, WITHOUT violating the rules would be to get the seller to run the carfax for you, or pay for it yourself.

Greetings
Remember that if it is damaged again, the insurance company will not do a full payout, since it has a salvaged title. If you are comfortable with the car and the price is right????
Martin

Thanks to all for your replies. After reading your responses, I feel that I am going to wait to find a non-salvage 95'-96' with auto. trans. You brought up a good point that even if I get the car for $20k, if I get into an accident insurance will only pay out 1/2 that amount since the vehicle is a salvage title. I just can not justifty a benefit in that scenario. Thanks for your help. I am still regretting selling my last NSX 1 year ago this month. Hopefully it does not take me another year to find a replacement.

Back