• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for Volvo, BMW, Mercedes owners

My daily driver, a 14 year old Accord, is over 210,000 miles. I love the car but I've been shopping for a replacement whenever it dies.

I've been looking at Volvo S60 / S80, BWM 3 series, and Mercedes C class vehicles.

I research them on consumer reports, and read driver reviews on MSN auto. The reviews on these vehicles (2001-2004) are scaring me. Drivers of Volvo constantly complain of bad transmissions, electrical problems like light bulbs constantly going out, and other bad things. Mercedes drivers also complain a lot about the C-class, some saying that the Mercedes is the most problematic vehicle they've ever had. I find some of the same opinions about BMW as well. A neighbor had a BMW and told me her BMW's parking light one day literally just fell off the vehicle, along with a host of other problems.

Have you guys/gals had the same experiences with these brands? Are they a nightmare to maintain?

I read some reviews of my old Accord, and many people have over 300k / 400k miles and the car is still going strong. My mechanic says my car is "bullet-proof" and highly recommends it. I'm still on the original clutch, and everything is working perfect. I did read one review of my car where the "con" of the car was "wish I had an excuse to buy a new car" LOL.

:D :D

Perhaps people just aren't accustomed to paying for high price German parts and service. I've never had a problem with our Mercedes S-Class or our E36 3 Series BMW. The Mercedes is approaching 240k miles and the 3 series is around 170k. Both cars seem to be bulletproof and keep on hauling and believe me, these cars are driven hard. I stand by the Germans as I believe they build very quality, dependable cars. If you don't want to spend a lot on a daily driver, I highly recommend a '95-99 BMW 3-series. They're great little cars that handle like they're on rails and they can take just about anything you can throw at them. Go test drive all of the cars and see what you think of them and then read more reviews and talk to people who own those cars. Good luck with your search.

Conor

My daily driver, a 14 year old Accord, is over 210,000 miles. I love the car but I've been shopping for a replacement whenever it dies.

You're killing me. Out of all of the cars I've ever owned, my 1990 Accord EX Coupe was my favorite. I absolutely loved that car! I regret the day I sold it. That car was indeed bullet proof. The only time it ever went into the shop was to get the oil changed and have the timing belt/water pump done. That's more than I can say for my 99 Accord that I have now. I can't even keep the stupid light bulb on the clock to work for more than a few months. That was it! I had it for 10 years and sold it with 111k miles on it. Agh! I wish I still had it. I would keep your car. If the engine ever goes out on it, which I doubt it will, you can replace it for hardly anything. You can find a used F22 engine for $200-300 bucks any day of the week.

Yea I know. This is by far the best car I've ever owned as well. I've driven may newer vehicles, and have a newer SUV that stays mostly in the garage because this car is so much fun to drive.

I'll be sad if it ever dies. But right now it looks like I'll get 500,000 miles out of it easy. That's probably good for the wallet, but bad for the desire to drive a "newer" vehicle :p

It's a great 'problem' to have, I guess! :)

White92 said:
You're killing me. Out of all of the cars I've ever owned, my 1990 Accord EX Coupe was my favorite. I absolutely loved that car! I regret the day I sold it. That car was indeed bullet proof. The only time it ever went into the shop was to get the oil changed and have the timing belt/water pump done. That's more than I can say for my 99 Accord that I have now. I can't even keep the stupid light bulb on the clock to work for more than a few months. That was it! I had it for 10 years and sold it with 111k miles on it. Agh! I wish I still had it. I would keep your car. If the engine ever goes out on it, which I doubt it will, you can replace it for hardly anything. You can find a used F22 engine for $200-300 bucks any day of the week.

I have a V70 Cross Country bought new, it now has 100k plus. I was going to replace it but it has been so bullit proof, I don't have a good enough reason.

There were minor recalls bulb socket to solve the bulb problems and some check engine light issues when new, they updated the software and solve all those. I am about to have my timing belt done ($210.00) parts and labor!

With the exception of a 2002 Tii, my BMW history was not very good. My 3 series conv. had an unidentifiable electric problem, forcing me to trade it in.

PM me if you would like more details.

Cheers

I can speak of the BMW 3 series and the Merc C class. I had a 97 328IC, the car was fantastic, the only thing was oil changes, it was on a 3 year lease so I never got into the high mileage maintenance. An associate of mine, just traded in his 99 3 series with 150,000, no problems, he just got the 325xi, and loves it. My mother had a 96 C280 with never a problem until she totalled it. It did save her life. She recently bought a 2003 240 4matic and loves it as well. I've driven both of them and they're great cars. Mercedes has had numerous problems with recent E and S series, the C has not had the same problems. I do have a very good friend that went through so many problems with a new Volvo that he dumped it and got a Lexus. I don't think you can go wrong with either the C or 3. BOL

You may also want to look at the TSX, as the TL is a bit larger than the cars you mention.

I liked my E36 325i. It was higher mileage, so it cost about $100/month to maintain. It was more fun to drive than my 04 TL.

I prefer BMW among the marques you mention. Buy a CPO car, and you won't have as much to worry about. Expect to pay a bit more in service, but if you can find a good local Indy shop to care for your car (out of warranty) you should be able to get by for a lot less than at the dealer.

I agree with Darkcyd. If you are looking at the C, I think you would get more bang for ur buck with the TL or TSX. Unless you really want the aurora of the tristar. In my personal experience, I really have no issues with my E clas so far. Go to mbworld.org and ask the C class owners.

On a side note, I sat in my friends new accord and there sure was a lot of room in the backseat. I was really surprised. My bnz doesnt even come close to that much room and its in the same market and i pretty much paid 3 times what he paid. Oh well.

I agree. TL or TSX. Or you could look at the new Legacy GT. That's a pretty sweet car as well.

I will probably never buy another European or American vehicle(except possibly a car hauler, and even that has a Isuzu diesel) ever again. Too problematic. It seems like just because the car is under warranty/or lease they feel as though the car has had no issues. When in reality they have had to make numerous appointments to drop the car off for this electrical problem here or this tranny there... It's a pain in the a$$, I've dealt with it before and never again. IMO just buy a comparable japanese luxury car and your life will continue to be easy.

Elite said:
IMO just buy a comparable japanese luxury car and your life will continue to be easy.

Easy, to be sure. Comfortable and laden in technological wizardry and now with serious grunt.

Still, I lust for a BMW sedan when the weather is nice and I will have another in the garage within the next year, two at the most. I am a die-hard follower of the Marque, even more so than Honda, which is saying quite a bit. :eek:

I like RWD and good balance and handling. I like the german engineering with italian flair that is BMW, much like the NSX is japanese engineering with italian flair. It is no accident that BMW and Honda are at the forefront of engine technology and widely considered to make the finest engines in the world, certainly for any large-scale manufacturer. One can debate Ferrari and other exotics, but my vote would still be BMW and Honda for engine technology.

I almost bought a 540i/6 instead of the 04 TL, but it made more sense to get the TL with the NSX available for nice weather days and track use. Now the e39 M5 is available for under $40k with decent miles/warranty. So are E46 M3s. Either would require me to get rid of the TL and find some sub-$10k winter car, likely a late Legend coupe.

Maybe I'll keep the TL and get an old E28 M5 to mess around with.

Now I want 3 cars (okay, more like 300, but I digress).

As you may expect, I have no plans to get rid of the NSX in the foreseeable future, unless it is for another NSX.

I had a 95 BMW 325i and while it never left me stranded, it needed a lot of TLC (Meaning parts thrown at it) to keep it in good shape. Lots of weird electrical problems, blown fuses, false warnings on the OBC. The breaker for me was when my ABS system went bad and needed a new accumulator, the SRS system started acting up (Air Bag warning light coming on for 2-3 minutes at a time) widow regulator (Drivers side) was about to break and it was looking to be at least a $3K repair total. Not to mention it was on its 3rd automatic tranny. It was replaced once under warranty and the last time as a good will. The car only had about 85K miles on it when I gladly traded it in for my wifes 04 Lexus RX330 I'm one of those guys that will never own a BMW again without a warranty. On top of that I probably would try and get an extended warrranty as well :p

I just sold my 1989 Accord with 150,000 miles. IT had the original clutch and aasked for nothing but oil for the two years I owned it. I "sold" it to my little sister's boyfriend. I will always regret selling that vehicle. :(

I had an E36 convertible, maintanance was just too expensive for my taste

I have a 95 S500 sedan right now, nothing costs less than $1,000 to repair

I have a 1996 Volvo 850 wagon (95,000 miles at purchase) that has been excellent for the 13,000 miles I have driven it (3 months!!) :eek:

I have had 6 Acura Legends, all phenomenally reliable. If you must get a new car, I'd go Japanese, but do not sell the Accord. For the pittance you will get for it, you are better off keeping it as the ultimate beater!!

Last edited:
2001 E46 M3, no real problems except it was recalled for main bearings. It has 60K miles. 2001 Audi Allroad with 65K miles and no real problems but the 2 first sets of tires (Pirelli Allroad tires) had excessive wear early (25K miles per set).

Tim

Back