• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question: Hard Braking Issue

I have had my 92 X for almost 1 1/2 years and after I bought it I noticed some shudder under hard braking. I chalked it up as a slightly warped rotors, but the pads still had quite a lot left so I planned to replace all when the time came. Well the time came recently and I replaced all 4 rotors with cross-drilled from Dali with all new stock pads around as well. I had the dealer flush and bleed the brakes too. I still have some "shake" under higher speed hard braking. The car has been dealer serviced and looked over many times and they have never mentioned any issues with the car regarding this. So the question is, What kind of troubleshooting ideas should I look at here to resolve this? To me it really doesn't feel like the ABS kicking in because the pedal still feels normal, it doesn't really kick back the pedal like ABS working. But still I feel a shake in the front end under higher speed hard braking, any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.

This is one common problem with the NSX. I experienced it myself and changing the rotors eleviated the problem but not to my satisfaction. One solution is to get aftermarket brakes. I didn't want to opt for that option and worked out a solution that worked for me. I retained using OEM brake fluid and pads. I switched to the PowerStop slotted roters (from RM Racing), replaced the tiny OEM air deflectors with the large Dali Racing air deflectors and tossed the splash guards.

I've tracked my car three open track weekends with this setup at Laguna Seca pounding my brakes all day. I experience absolutely no shudder. The extra amount of cooling to the brakes with the Dali air deflector and the open rotors (minus the splash guards) made a big difference. I've left off my splash guards permanently and went on several drives using the brakes heavily at times. No shudder problems.

I'm not suggesting that this is the only solution but one that worked for me.

My guess is that you have a piston in one of your calipers that is sticking causing it not to retract. The very slight constant drag on that rotor is putting enough heat into that rotor to warp it. I would look at the front calipers first jack up the car with cold brakes and spin each wheel and see which one has the most drag. I had this problem on my Accord for years, replaced and cut the rotors several times and the problem just kept coming back. Finely I put on rebuilt calipers and the problem was gone for good.

BrianK

Shudder is under street conditions, that car hasn't been tracked, atleast not since I have owned it. It tends to be most apparent when braking hard from say 80 mph or more. The cross drilled rotors I am sure help with cooling, but maybe vytas is right and more cooling may help. I hesitate to remove the splash guards since I daily drive the car. Thanks.

tmc/nsx said:
But still I feel a shake in the front end under higher speed hard braking, any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.
You might check your wheel barings. If they are worn but just as little that you don't notice it while driving, they could still cause little spots on your discs. These spots occur just by driving causing heat differences on the disc. Which will be noticable while braking.
This event especially is a problem with big brake sets that use not floating calipers.

Wow, lots of wrong guesses and misinformation being posted here. I can assure you that it's not ABS, it's not a sticking caliper, and it's not a wheel bearing.

Shudder comes from the development of hot spots due to uneven deposits of brake pad material on the surface of the rotors, and can be avoided with proper bedding procedures, along with proper warm-up and cool-down procedures.

Read more about it in this article on Stoptech's website and also in the article about maintaining an NSX for track use in the next issue of the NSX Driver newsletter that will be mailed out to all members of the NSX Club of America.

And Vytas, keep a close watch on your ball joints. They can get baked and fail due to the extreme heat that they endure when you remove your splash guards...

Thanks nsxtasy, after all of the responses, and looking at all the scenarios with my car it sounds like I probably hit the jackpot with your response. I read up on bedding procedures for the new pads before I even drove the car after brake install, but I guess I didn't do it quite properly. I will try again. Thanks!

Back