• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question

Hello everybody i am new and i come from holland so mayeby i don't spell too well. I have some oil leak and the gasgets and filter from the vtec spool valves are replaced. Now it is less but still smell oil. Went to the dealer too look under the car again and we saw that the valve cover was leaking on the exaust (front cover). I also saw a sort of screw just under the seal it was sticking out a bit. this screw is located just under the rear valve cover at the back end at the drivers side. My quistion is, does enybody know wat this screw/bolt is and if it can be the cause of leaking oil on my exhaust?
i hope my story is readable

Welcome Gjjs! I think more people in the community can help if you could provide a close up picture and a far picture so we can see the location of the screw. Leaking oil on the exhaust is very bad. I would avoid driving the car as this is the usual cause of engine fires. Especially at that location it would be immpossible to put out if it did catch on fire. Leaks are very rare on the NSX.

hello, thank you for your answer. making a picture of the screw is very difficault it is not easy to see without putting the car on a bridge. but i think it is the valve cover gasget that is leaking a bit and gives the smell of burning oil. at this forum i read so much about oil leaks so i thought that more nsx's sufferd the same problem. when i was searching for an oil leak i saw that screw and now i am wondering where it is for. about my oil leak, it is dripping not spraying i think i can drive it untill it is repaired, what do others think?

The small bolt is an access port for checking the VTEC oil pressure for testing puposes. Never have I seen one leak. Typically there is one drop of oil on the end of this bolt head, but it is likely the valve cover gasket just being old, not that bolt. VC gaskets get stiff with age and heat and they leak. I would replace them.

HTH,
LarryB

Hello Larry (can i call you Larry?) thank you for your answer, now i know what it is. Good idee to replace the gasget it is goiing to be replaced this thursday. i hope this solves the leak, i will let you know the results. in the meantime, do you think i can continiue to drive my car for a few day`s?
for the moment have a nice day and thankx again.

Yes you may drive it a few days, I see this all the time. Just check your oil level to be sure, enjoy the drive:).

Regards,
LarryB

well, finally my gasgets are replaced and the oil smell is less. Stil a little smoke coming from the engine at the back. the valve cover is dry so is the vtec valve. this week the dealer is going to look under the car again to see what is the problem. Does anybody know where it can be still leaking. The smoke comes from the backside of the engine at the drivers side.

Back