• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

QUESTIONS??

Does anyone have specific instructions on how to install headers on a 91 model? Is there a difference in 95 and 91 model installation? The FAQ is not very specific and my computer will not let me download that section out of the service manual.

Thanks

Originally posted by hondapower:
... Is there a difference in 95 and 91 model installation? The FAQ is not very specific ...

The FAQ is very specific
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/headers.htm

[LB - 00/1/3] RM Header Installation 1991 NSX

Kendall, Nick, and Spencer have all preceeded me with great write-ups so I would just like to detail my experience on my 1991 since there are some differences.....

Originally posted by hondapower:
The FAQ is not very specific and my computer will not let me download that section out of the service manual.

Thanks

One piece of advise is NEVER work on an NSX without a service manual if for nothing else,just to use the proper torque specs.

Headers...cool. That is all I can think about and won't be able to think about any thing else until they arrive. Headers, headers, headers....got to snap out of it!

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:

I just bought headers, waiting for them to arrive: I will do most jobs, & this would be a much simpler event with the aid of a lift. Mechanically it is not a big deal, but limited access on axle stands looks like a real chore!
Since I don't have a lift, I am going to have it done at a shop!

If you were closer to me, then I would invite you over to my place(lift, airtools and help) and we could have a header install party. I did mine(2000) WITHOUT reading the instructions. I did have them, but I just looked at it and just started wrenching. Took about 6 hours over a weekend(2 hrs. here, 2 hrs. there). VERY easy having the lift. I don't know if I would attempt it on jack stands. After I finished, I read the instructions(I read them previously) and found that I skipped a few steps. The main one being removal and hanging of the AC compressor. It didn't look like it was in the way and I had no problems with it installed.
Would I do it again? Sure, but only on a lift AND airtools in hand. Getting at the front header bolts was challenging on the lift and would be most difficult on the ground. Just my 2cents.
John

Thanks for the offer of the lift John, definitely would have taken you up on that if closer - it just confirms what a sick bunch we are when those are the kind of parties we thrive on!
So, you have really confirmed my feeling that without the lift its just not worth the hassle. I can empathize with your not having to read the instructions - I mean its just basically wrenching, no complicated set-up or anything taxing other than the accessability. I read some of the stories of home installs & my time & knuckles are more valuable than burn a whole w/end strugling under the darn thing!
(Besides I got a great quote from Gerry Johnson to do it - not saying how much but its a super deal. He's cool to hang out with too! I get "free" knowledge transfer thrown in!)

You can start to "justify" the $$ of a lift/air tools by doing this project yourself. You can get a midrise lift that raises the car 48". An NSX can be lifted a complete 48" in a 9'5" garage. You can then wrench on it using a mechanics stool. Just my .02

Jeff

I’ve done headers w/ jack stands and on a lift. The lift is much easier but many of us have done it with just jack stands and regular tools. Don’t get me wrong, the header install/removal is a real pain in the arse, but it’s not impossible. It all depends on your level of experience and/or your level of adventure. Just make sure your car is securely positioned on the jack stands and that you have enough time to stop the project when/if you get frustrated. Also expect to break a part or lose a nut and have to order and wait for these parts to come in. Also expect not to be able to remove your O2 sensors.

Tools, parts and stuff (in no particular order)

Service Manual
Creeper
Liquid Wrench Aerosol
Some extra OEM exhaust nuts and studs
A couple of new O2 sensors (or plan on taking your manifolds to a shop for O2 removal)
Mechanics gloves and latex gloves (if you’re into latex)
New OEM Header nuts as required by the Service Manual
10, 12,14,17 mm 6pt. sockets and wrenches
a bunch of socket extensions, a universal joint and wobble extensions
torque wrench
a tube silicone glue to lightly glue the special main beam nut in place during install
Maybe: inspection mirror and long nose pliers to remove shift cable cotter pins (can’t remember if these have to be removed, see #1 item) new shift cable cotter pins.
Parts tray

DanO

Back