• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Racism and the next President

Have been thinking of the idea that our next President may be the first 'African American' to win the Presidential nomination. I've been wondering if there may be issues all over America that will cause heated debates, or an even further divide between races after the election has ended.

So far, I haven't heard many people discussing the issue, but feel there may be an undertone that will surface if Barack gets the Dem. nomination.

Anyone else have any thoughts, or heard conversation around this topic?

I think the best bet for Hilary or Barack to become President would have been to run as Vice President. That way, for sure the President would have been assassinated by a female or an African American. Yes, I am a political scientist and a historian.

Anyone else have any thoughts, or heard conversation around this topic?

Yeah, I brought up this topic over dinner last night. The question I posed is, what happens if Obama wins and someone kills him? What will happen to race relations?

I think Obama will make a great president, and I wish all the best for him. But I know our country still has a lot of backwards racist hicks.

I'm not racist, and am generally color blind, but I don't like Obama or Clinton.

I wish Ms. Rice would run instead. She would get my vote for sure. Her or Colin Powell.

if ms rice ran she would totaly screw up the democrats statagey of haveing all the women vote for clinton and having all the blacks vote for obama, she would pretty much have 95% of the total votes cast:tongue:

the two biggest things going for clinton are 1) shes bill clintons wife 2) shes a woman, the biggest thing obama has going for him is he is black.

i know those are the "hush hush" ways to think about it that shouldnt be talked about, but your ignorant if you dont think a large percentage of thier voters becaus of one of those reasons.

can anybody tell me how obama would have helped the katrina victims better than a white guy? can anybody tell me how ms clinton is going to bennefit womens rights any better than a guy?

lets face it, running a COUNTRY is somewhat of a mans job. we are not talking about taking a minivan to midas for an oil change during soccer practice:tongue: i kid i kid, but when theres a big guy who needs to get his ass kicked at the bar you dont send your wife to the parking lot to kick his ass.

i will just mark "other" and write bush on the ballot:tongue:

The term "African American" is an absolutly rediculous term. A very good friend of mine in Denver was born in Sourth Africa. Both his mother and father are from South Africa. Does this not make him "African American"?

BTW 30% of the population in South Africa are white and so is my friend. :smile:

Obama's father was from Kenya. Hower Obama was born in the US. Does this not make Obama just "American"?

In Canada we tend to be very color blind. If Obama was born in Canada, he would not be "African Canadian" he would just be "Canadian". Canada is a melting pot of many cultures, and quite a "rainbow" of poeple that call Canada home. As well, they all call themselves "Canadian".

Making an election issue of the color of this man's skin puts the US in a very poor light for the rest of the world to view. Who cares! If he or anyone else has the ability to run the country, he or she should be elected.

the biggest thing obama has going for him is he is black.
No way. The biggest thing Obama has going for him is he's eloquent and charismatic. Being black is the second biggest thing he's got against him (first thing being that unfortunate name).

Find a white male democrat with the vocal skills and intelligence that Obama has and he would win in a rout. IMO Obama is winning despite being black, not because of it.

The point I'm trying to see if anyone has experienced is:
1) bumper sticker that says, 'Once you VOTE BLACK, you can't go back!';
2) comments like, 'We're all fckd if a *n* ends up running this country,
3) or 'It's about time us black folks had someone to protect us of our rights, the white man has always sh(t on us...
The typical ignorance that is fairly common....

Comments, stickers, feelings, whether spoken or not could cause major issues in America. Here in the south it is very different, and I could see fights, rallies, protests, and the news media all over it......

No way. The biggest thing Obama has going for him is he's eloquent and charismatic. Being black is the second biggest thing he's got against him (first thing being that unfortunate name).

Find a white male democrat with the vocal skills and intelligence that Obama has and he would win in a rout. IMO Obama is winning despite being black, not because of it.

Good post. I'd like to her see Hilary or Obama over anybody else. But being black, i'd like to see a black president in my lifetime. I didn't start watching politics until he announced he was running for office. I never felt any kind of connection with the candidates, kinda like they were talking over what i see everyday. If he is elected, somebody would find a reason to be get him out of office. It would be a shooting or some sort of plot. Sorry if that offends anybody. Plus i'm tired of seeing the same old "establishment" in office, get those old foogies out! If either gets to be president, maybe that will send a message to world that the U.S. is changing, because our relations with other countries are souring.

^^ I haven't seen any racist comments about Obama at all. That's not to say I don't know people who hate the guy, but it's not because he's black. It's enough that he's a liberal Democrat who's going to take away their guns and tax/spend all their money. For the most part I'd have to say they hate Hillary even more.

^^ I haven't seen any racist comments about Obama at all. That's not to say I don't know people who hate the guy, but it's not because he's black. It's enough that he's a liberal Democrat who's going to take away their guns and tax/spend all their money. For the most part I'd have to say they hate Hillary even more.

I agree. I liked Bill Clinton. He had some personality, Hillary doesn't. She reminds be a one of my grade school principals. Obama actually reminds be of MLK Jr., the way he speaks. I've asked other why Obama has gone farther than his 2 predecessors, Sharpton and J. Jackson.

The question I posed is, what happens if Obama wins and someone kills him? What will happen to race relations?

This is what I'm concerned about, history repeats it self. There are some crazy people that just might carry something like that out.

if ms rice ran she would totaly screw up the democrats statagey of haveing all the women vote for clinton and having all the blacks vote for obama, she would pretty much have 95% of the total votes cast:tongue:

the two biggest things going for clinton are 1) shes bill clintons wife 2) shes a woman, the biggest thing obama has going for him is he is black.

i know those are the "hush hush" ways to think about it that shouldnt be talked about, but your ignorant if you dont think a large percentage of thier voters becaus of one of those reasons.

can anybody tell me how obama would have helped the katrina victims better than a white guy? can anybody tell me how ms clinton is going to bennefit womens rights any better than a guy?

lets face it, running a COUNTRY is somewhat of a mans job. we are not talking about taking a minivan to midas for an oil change during soccer practice:tongue: i kid i kid, but when theres a big guy who needs to get his ass kicked at the bar you dont send your wife to the parking lot to kick his ass.

i will just mark "other" and write bush on the ballot:tongue:

Dude I think people are going to flame the hell out of you for these comments ..LOL

The term "African American" is an absolutly rediculous term. A very good friend of mine in Denver was born in Sourth Africa. Both his mother and father are from South Africa. Does this not make him "African American"?

BTW 30% of the population in South Africa are white and so is my friend. :smile:

Obama's father was from Kenya. Hower Obama was born in the US. Does this not make Obama just "American"?

In Canada we tend to be very color blind. If Obama was born in Canada, he would not be "African Canadian" he would just be "Canadian". Canada is a melting pot of many cultures, and quite a "rainbow" of poeple that call Canada home. As well, they all call themselves "Canadian".

Making an election issue of the color of this man's skin puts the US in a very poor light for the rest of the world to view. Who cares! If he or anyone else has the ability to run the country, he or she should be elected.

Sorry chief ,but I've dated black Canadian girls and although your countries black white issues aren't as publicized they are still a problem. It good to hear that you don't think that way though.

+1 on the African American thing. I never hear white Americans going around calling themselves German American or British American.

Our government though and business always has us filling out forms to "classify" everyone. Just like Hispanics used to classified as "white" on forms until they became more well "prolific". Now they're considered to be the second largest "minority" in the country. That's just laughable!

The point I'm trying to see if anyone has experienced is:
1) bumper sticker that says, 'Once you VOTE BLACK, you can't go back!';
2) comments like, 'We're all fckd if a *n* ends up running this country,
3) or 'It's about time us black folks had someone to protect us of our rights, the white man has always sh(t on us...
The typical ignorance that is fairly common....

Comments, stickers, feelings, whether spoken or not could cause major issues in America. Here in the south it is very different, and I could see fights, rallies, protests, and the news media all over it......

As a black person how do you think I'll feel if he gets elected and f*cks up? No offense but whites in this country are known for blaming all minorities when just one messes up ..LOL

Something I noticed though is that if a white person messes up "he" as an individual is screwed up. Notice when Timothy McViegh bombed that Fed building Americans were horrified and they went after him. You didn't see any mobs out on the street going after good ole boys and beating the hell outta them , but after 9/11 whites were going around beating people that looked like they "might' be middle eastern. They beat the hell out of Mexican , Indians and others. Sad ,but true

I'm a die hard republican and I would vote for Collin Powell in a heartbeat!

BTW, down south there is a new slang for blacks. They are starting to call all blacks "Canadians"! I witnessed this on several occasions. Maybe its because of what warrenw said above.

Fullrace,
Obama definitely is winning ON HIS OWN. NOT because he is black. History shows that being black, in the U.S. is not a plus, just 40years ago black couldn't for some reason use the restroom as whites. Obama is a young fresh face and that is needed now in this time of turmoil in the U.S. ANYTHING is better than what we have now.

This is a question to ponder. Will Bush be held acountable for the state the U.S. is in?
If elected Obama will be one egg shells, i'm sure him and his wife have thought about that. Colin Powell's wife said she would leave him if he tried to run for president. I know why the others are running, but i wonder why obama is? If something happens while he is in office, he may have just signed his death certificate. It's not worth it to me. But i have mad respect for him, he has everything to lose and not enough to gain.

I'm not racist, and am generally color blind, but I don't like Obama or Clinton.

I wish Ms. Rice would run instead. She would get my vote for sure. Her or Colin Powell.

What!?!? :eek: :rolleyes:

At least Powell had the foresight to jump ship from a dismal Presidential administration.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bikRrJo8G-w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bikRrJo8G-w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2HJ0jmGiiFs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2HJ0jmGiiFs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

can anybody tell me how obama would have helped the katrina victims better than a white guy? can anybody tell me how ms clinton is going to bennefit womens rights any better than a guy?:

To address your first comment:

1) Hillary Clinton is NOT the first woman to run for president; however, it is likely that being married to Bill Clinton is an advantage for her.

2) Obama is NOT the first Black person to run for president. If that is his main advantage, then Jesse Jackson would have won in the past.

I will tell you how Obama would have helped Katrina Victims better than THE White Guy: He would have actually canceled his vacation (and likely wouldn't have taken nearly as much as THE White guy has) and placed every effort to provide aide. Obama likely would have placed someone in the position of FEMA head, who actually KNOWS what he is doing. If this FEMA person screwed up, Obama wouldn't insult those that died from the lack of adequate response from FEMA buy giving a metal to the screw up and saying "Heck'ova'job" with a pat on the back.:rolleyes:

VERY well said. I applaud you sir! :eek:

To address the OP's query:

I've seen on the news, a very disturbing report on actions White Supremacist groups have been taking in the event that Obama DOES win the election. A leader of one of these groups said flat out in a news interview, that IF Obama wins, they WILL assassinate him.

There has been discussions of race in a deragetory sense more by talk news than mainstream news. Not unlike that very annoying Hannity:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HqlOC85lvkY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HqlOC85lvkY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

There is more to Obama than the color of his skin. It's time people made an effort to see that.

WingZ pointed out something that I have discussed with some of my Black friends:

Who ever becomes the NEXT president, he or she has their work cut out for them.

We are in for some difficult times. We have an ongoing war that may well go down as the worst foreign relations disaster in history, a fragile economy, and a very divided, bipartisan, and racially fragile social status. Regardless of who is voted in, they have a great deal of work to do. Personally, I believe Obama is the right Candidate for the job.

<embed FlashVars='videoId=11923' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Sorry...Had to throw this one :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

<embed FlashVars='videoId=11903' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

<embed FlashVars='videoId=11923' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

<embed FlashVars='videoId=11903' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Thanks man those are hilarious!

:biggrin: gotta dig out my chapelle show dvd's.

There are much more serious issues than black, white, male, or female that should be focused on. There are leaders in other countries who are women and from non-caucausion ethnicity. However herein lies the problem. Is the USofA ready for a "non-white or female" leader? I don't think so.

Like someone said, Bill has personality... Hillary doesn't even have a trace. I think Barack is a good candidate, and a better one. He may be inexperienced, but that might not really be a bad thing - it's a chance for a new start, something we need really bad!

If McCain or Hillary get elected it's just gonna be more of the same-ol'. I personally dislike John McCain because of his past racist comments on Vietnamese. I am white but that was still hate speech in my mind.

I recently move to the South and to my disbelief, many ppl out here are still saying that this counrty is not ready for a Black President... or a female for that matter. If we're not ready now, we never will be. America needs to follow the rest of the Western Nations and enter the 21st century. I still firmly believe that this land always was and still is rightfully owned by the Natives so whoever runs it, white, yellow or black, we're still guests here.

Anyway, Barack's inexperience is the reason some say that he might "f" it all up. Can't do no worse than W, right?

All I know is that these are very challenging times for the U.S. Unprecedented security issues. A slow moving train wreck of an economy. And a population that hasn't been this angry and divided in decades. :eek: :frown:

So...as tough as the next four years will be, for *any* president, why wouldn't you stick with what has generally worked for the last 300 years. An old white guy. I mean, seriously, you'd have to be one really dumb n**ger to vote for Hillary.

:wink: :biggrin: relax...comedy... :tongue:

What happened to the prime rules of tread lightly with race ,religion and politics? I think we are answering our own questions when we complain about all the flame wars and crap ass threads,some of us are addicted to titilating controversial topics:rolleyes: I can't waite to see where this one goes:redface:

Back