• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rationalizing $$ for upgrades

I am considering a number of upgrades for my '93 NSX (48K miles) which already has I/H/E and short gears/R&P. Specifically, I'm looking at cosmetic upgrades to the front airdam, sideskirts, and rear valence and spoiler... and performance upgrades: including, Comtech clutch, SC, and airbox; Zinardi springs and H&R shocks, and Brembo big brakes and other brake parts. All total this would be a big investment... over $20K (to a car that's worth about $35K now).

While enhancement such as these can not be rationally or even partially justifed, (or recovered in resale), I'm wondering if this would be money well spent, or should I consider moving up to a later model NSX, e.g., 2002+, where some of these and other "enhancements" would be standard. Or, should I do nothing and put this $ down on another car, e.g., Porsche Cayman?

Just looking for other opinions. Thanks.

Only a couple of those enhancements will be standard on a newer car. It will cost a lot more to move to a newer model and then add all these things. And there's all the things you probably fixed on your older model that will come up again on the new one -- timing belt, climate control, ???. I think it's almost always cheaper to stick with the older model than to upgrade, unless there's something specific you want from the newer model that you can't get. Just MHO.

Alot of the enhancements that you are refering to will not come on a newer model (i.e. springs, shocks, supercharger, exhaust) and will in some cases cost more to do on a newer 3.2 liter car as opposed to the 3.0 liter. I knew getting into this car that items like that will never be recouped, that's just to be considered the cost of ownership. I've dropped about an extra $3000 in "ownership costs" over the two years I've owned the car knowing full well if I want to sell it that I'll never get it back again. Learn to think that way and you will enjoy ownership much more rather than sweating "where your money is going." Cars aren't cheap to maintain and/or mod, exspecially the nsx, unfortunately those are the cards you have to play with now if you want to stick with the car. Just be happy you bought a model that is close to being fully depreciated and it won't hurt as much as a newer model that is still depreciating.

Wick said:
I'm wondering if this would be money well spent Thanks.

Investing money into a car is almost never money well spent. Most people who buy and mods cars can tell you that you will never get back what you spend on mods.

Your I/H/E with Shorties and R&P alone cost a pretty penny. Doing it again on another NSX doesn't make sense. I would:

1. Keep your car and keep on happily modding it to make something unique

or

2. Buy the Porsche for a totally different ride.

Your I/H/E with Shorties and R&P alone cost a pretty penny. Doing it again on another NSX doesn't make sense. I would:

1. Keep your car and keep on happily modding it to make something unique

or

2. Buy the Porsche for a totally different ride.

Wick said:
While enhancement such as these can not be rationally or even partially justifed, (or recovered in resale), I'm wondering if this would be money well spent.

I'd say its difficult to rationalize upgrades in monetary terms unless those upgrades are bringing you income - for example at races, at track events, at shows, etc.

Given that logic, a better rationalization is 1. You like it..... 2. You want it.... 3. You gotta have it!...... 4. Now you are happier than you were before. :biggrin: Those reasons are good enough. :smile:

Keep your current car. The mods you have are already good. If you want more power, look at the CTSC.

Thanks all. Pretty unanimous inputs, and what my generally thinking was... so I guess I'll pick the mods I can afford now, and do the others later.

If your measurement of money well spent is residual value, then modding a car is NEVER money well spent. However, you measure money well spent as getting enjoyment out of your money, then modding a car may be worth it.

Life is short and it's okay to enjoy the fruits of a hard days work, as long as there is balance with financial responsibilty. I have no problem dropping 50k into modifying my NSX, but this is only after i am out of all debt, (excluding morgage), my family's needs are met, and am applying at least 15% of my income to retirement.

This is just my approach.

pelletz said:
If your measurement of money well spent is residual value, then modding a car is NEVER money well spent. However, you measure money well spent as getting enjoyment out of your money, then modding a car may be worth it.

Life is short and it's okay to enjoy the fruits of a hard days work, as long as there is balance with financial responsibilty. I have no problem dropping 50k into modifying my NSX, but this is only after i am out of all debt, (excluding morgage), my family's needs are met, and am applying at least 15% of my income to retirement.

This is just my approach.

my thoughts exactly. Besides, even though our cars did and are depreciating , you never know what it will be worth in the future, especially since the nsx is done for as of 05 you know? yes there might be another one but so far i think the concensus is that its name will be changed and it will be a different car. Also, IMO buying a cayman doesnt make sense. Because in all honestly, the cayman was designed as medium performance on purpose and if your buying a porche i would say go all out and make it worth your while. just me though. But, hope your happy in the end whichever route you go. see ya!

Before rationalizing mods vs. money, how about mods vs. purpose?

What is your intended use for the car. Street, track , race, show??

LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Before rationalizing mods vs. money, how about mods vs. purpose?

What is your intended use for the car. Street, track , race, show??

LarryB

Larry,

My purpose would be street and show (perhaps an occasional DE). I already have a dedicated track car and auto-x car, so the NSX is just a weekend cruiser, good weather, road trip car.

Once you get started you can never get out of it. You definitely will be putting lots of money thats for sure. It's an addiction. all you have to do is ask yourself is it worth the time and money??? and will it make you happy??? If you answer yes, I will just go for it. You only live once!!!!

I guess all I can say is for the purpose you mention there really is no rationalization!!!!!!!!

So I guess the upgrade vs. money is the only thing to discuss.

I say this because your intented weekend criuser would not warrant the $12-15k for performance mods you mention, JMO:). I think the body work you seek would fit the plan pretty well though.

With that said, if you want an SC, cool:cool:

Regards,
LarryB

Back