• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendations for a new Daily Driver

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I find myself looking for a new DD. I currently have a BRZ as a daily now. I actually love everything about the BRZ in terms of practically but for some reason I find myself wanting more refinement the older I get. I think it's because of all the awesome new cars out right now makes me want to buy something else. I'm all over the place. I'm not use to the feeling lol

Can we discuss some of these vehicles? Feel free to recommend some too. I don't really have a budget in mind but i'd like to stay below $70k. Obviously, it's nice to keep some of that $ in my pocket. I really could compromise between purchase price, maintenance costs, and mpg vs. fun.

* Merc CLA 45 (Saw some reviews... seems very badass but not sure if too small)
* Cadillac ATS Sport (Very impressed with the chassis but the interior is still so.... eck)
* used GT-R (I hope the "badass-ness" of this car can overcome how hideous it looks and it's super high maintenance cost. It might also put me out of contention for a new NSX or GT3 in 2015)
* used Cayman / Boxster (seems well priced these days. how's the maintenance cost?)
* Acura TSX wagon (snooze fest but practical)
* used S2000 AP2 (kind of small but still considering it for some reason, had an AP1 before)

You're really covering such a wide spectrum with the vehicles you mention - in terms of sportiness, room/cargo space, luxury, price, etc - that it's tough to get any sense of what would appeal to you most and make the most sense.

LOL - You went from a Cayman to a TSX Wagon!! HAHA.

Do you have a Dog? Kids? Mountain bike? Skis? etc etc. You gotta help us so we can help you.

I know... what you guys are saying are all true. I'm a mess.

I still have my Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab so 4-wheeling, snow excursions, surfing, and other outdoorsy activities are covered I reckon. No kids!

I'm really looking for something to augment the NSX and the pickup. There's just too much overlap with the BRZ and the NSX which makes me yearn for some refinement. I can't even get on a conference call in my BRZ because it's not all that quiet inside. The Cadillac ATS has been getting great reviews and I think I might be willing to give it a try. The CLA 45 (AWD) and the ATS are on the short list.. a used Cayman being a close 3rd but I really have no clue about the maintenance obligations of Porsche ownership.

do you want 4 seats?

If you can do without something sporty then I would look for something that gives great MPG - It is a cool excercise in engineering. The 2015 Accord Hybrid is rated at 45 MPG combined. The Kia Optima is pretty cool looking and gives ~ 38 MPG. IMHO That is pretty impressive!!

do you want 4 seats?
It's a "nice to have" and I thought I would need it more. In reality, I've never found a need to put people in the back seat of my BRZ.

If you can do without something sporty then I would look for something that gives great MPG - It is a cool excercise in engineering. The 2015 Accord Hybrid is rated at 45 MPG combined. The Kia Optima is pretty cool looking and gives ~ 38 MPG. IMHO That is pretty impressive!!
I am very impressed with the Accord Hybrid but honestly.. i'm tired of the econoboxes. I worked like a dog this past few years so I feel like I'm going to treat myself and buy something that's sporty, yet somewhat plush feeling inside I guess it doesn't mean I want a car that gets 10-13mpg (GTR?) per gallon also since that just seems wasteful.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the BMW F30 and I think they did a great job. Yet, I simply can't buy one. It seems like 50% of the cars in LA are BMWs from the housekeepers to the soccer moms to the execs.

Acura RLX?
I hadn't even considered that but the new version looks much better. I wonder how it drives. I may have to rule it out though. The one thing I find irreplaceable about the BRZ is how easy it is to drive in/out of traffic. It's quite agile. Was hoping for that similar sized vehicle and biggest likely would be the TSX Wagon or the F30 BMW.
how about a new Acura TL SH-AWD?
Do you like this one? I'm not that excited about it.

Used Cadallic CTS-V Wagon!! (Gas mileage would be a downside though)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1sUjOiCj-bQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use to own an older TL and I loved it. I can only imagine this one is 10x better. I'd add it to your short list. I love the sound of the J37! But dont particularly care for the looks. I would actually prefer a 2007-2008 TL Type S.

I'd give a good look at the 2012/13 cts-v in either coupe or sedan....more oomph and lux touches than ats.

Used S2000 - You can beat on it, track it, and not worry about breaking anything expensive because they're cheap now.

Porsche Cayman S - If you go carmax and get a warranty, I would ASSUME it would be low maintenance costs? I heard they're a lot of fun to drive, I don't know. I also heard base is slow, but S is fun.

GTR - I'm curious how well they can hold miles. Can a GTR hold 200,000 miles? If not, there will be massive depreciation. If they can, then the depreciation should be okay. Curious what cost of ownership is when it comes brake/clutch time. Super sweet ride though. Exotic supercar killer.

I think a Boss302 would be fun, but not sure how refined it is...

A C6 Z06 would be fun, as would a C7....

BMW M3?

Audi S5?

Last edited:
I'm really looking for something to augment the NSX and the pickup. There's just too much overlap with the BRZ and the NSX which makes me yearn for some refinement. I can't even get on a conference call in my BRZ because it's not all that quiet inside.
Then the S2000 and GT-R don't belong on your list. Same goes for some of the other suggestions like the Vette and M3. Nice cars, but have the same downsides as the BRZ in your garage.

- - - Updated - - -

how about a new Acura TL SH-AWD? It's sporty, refined, has plenty of space and you still get decent gas mileage.
I'm not that excited about it.
Why? :confused: Based on your reactions, it ought to be at or near the top of your list. If I were you, I'd ask your local Acura dealer if you can take one home for an overnight test drive.

You could look into a Tesla Model S if you really want something far and apart from your NSX and Truck. Prices will be up there for a slightly used one.

07-08 TL-S

I drive 35-50k a year on these cars. I have yet to find a better mix of fun, sporty, good looking, refined, agile, smooth, quiet, able to take 4 people, all the bells and whistles such as navi and bluetooth, cheap maintenance, and simply adding a nice set of wheels and springs you can make it not look like any other on the road.

For up to a $70k budget, I'd get a C7 as a daily driver. Great gas mileage for what it is, targa, huge trunk, relatively cheap maintenance, reliable and it rides comfortably. Oh, and its stupid fast as well.

07-08 TL-S

I drive 35-50k a year on these cars. I have yet to find a better mix of fun, sporty, good looking, refined, agile, smooth, quiet, able to take 4 people, all the bells and whistles such as navi and bluetooth, cheap maintenance, and simply adding a nice set of wheels and springs you can make it not look like any other on the road.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Why? :confused: Based on your reactions, it ought to be at or near the top of your list. If I were you, I'd ask your local Acura dealer if you can take one home for an overnight test drive.
Because it looks terrible. I don't mind a boring car but I certainly won't buy a car that's offensive for me to look at. (We're talking about the latest gen TL right? It's the only one I know of with the SH-AWD)

You could look into a Tesla Model S if you really want something far and apart from your NSX and Truck. Prices will be up there for a slightly used one.
I just went to look at it during my lunch break actually. I think it's just slightly above my budget.
07-08 TL-S

Actually, I was in the market for one before I bought my BRZ. Don't regret the BRZ decision at all (except for the depreciation) but now I'm looking at this again.

For up to a $70k budget, I'd get a C7 as a daily driver. Great gas mileage for what it is, targa, huge trunk, relatively cheap maintenance, reliable and it rides comfortably. Oh, and its stupid fast as well.

New on the list. A 2011'ish BMW 335d M Sport. I'm looking into these now too. Maybe can pick one up as a CPO but have never bought a CPO car before. Not sure if it's worth the premium since i've heard mixed reviews on the BMW honoring CPO warranty claims.

Last edited:
CLA AMG

Mercedes-CLA-45-AMG-01.jpg

Last edited:
Moses - very intrigued with the CLA 45. It's suppose to be pretty wicked and a relative bargain. I'll wait until the LA Car Show coming up soon to really spend some time with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Moses - very intrigued with the CLA 45. It's suppose to be pretty wicked and a relative bargain. I'll wait until the LA Car Show coming up soon to really spend some time with it.

Back