• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendations for a new Daily Driver

How about a used IS-F?

Man....Asians do not drive Cadillacs. I am surprised you don't know that. :D

Reagan....Listen to Ric, don't let us down dude:biggrin:. Besides, U R not old enough to drive a Cadillac or the CLA....and u got rid of your Chevy so no going back to push rods U hear?....its not YU:cool:

With the IS-F....U be the bad a$$ all over the Southland and besides, you can put your 7'2" Rusty gun in the back. How cool is that! For me, I ride my Zuma to the beach w/ my board....definitely not as cool as U.

Last edited:
I think the best bargin around your price range is a e90 m3. I know there is a whole lot of them out there, but there is a reason, its such a great car. I am actually waiting on another house purchase or i would be getting one early next year.
Gas mileage isnt that great. But its a v8.
Or you can also check the rs4 and c63, e63 or cls63. All cpo mb's would be under the 70k range and offer alot of refinement for daily use. But tons of power when its go time. Only thing w MB's is they dont handle really sporty, you really notice the weight of the car when driving spiritedly.
Hope the post helped

- - - Updated - - -

I think the best bargin around your price range is a e90 m3. I know there is a whole lot of them out there, but there is a reason, its such a great car. I am actually waiting on another house purchase or i would be getting one early next year.
Gas mileage isnt that great. But its a v8.
Or you can also check the rs4 and c63, e63 or cls63. All cpo mb's would be under the 70k range and offer alot of refinement for daily use. But tons of power when its go time. Only thing w MB's is they dont handle really sporty, you really notice the weight of the car when driving spiritedly.
Hope the post helped

CLA AMG

Mercedes-CLA-45-AMG-01.jpg

I would want one, except I want the European version WAY MORE.
mercedes-benz-a45-amg-edition-1.jpg

My vote would be for a newer Audi S4 or S5. Not as fast as some of the other cars mentioned but plenty of power over your current BRZ. High 20's for gas mileage is definitely a plus. If you're willing to sacrifice gas mileage you could step up to the RS4 or RS5. They're all drop-dead gorgeous designs IMO.

If you want something nice looking and luxurious - My vote would be a 2013 MB E350. They are great cars and the best that MB makes. The CLA is small, short wheelbase so ride quality will be an issue. If you NEED power and don't want to pay MB maintenance $$ then a Genesis Spec R is a good choice. Prolly $39K+ TTL right now.

help me understand...why does the isf " fit" ryu's lifestyle?:confused:

The biggest thing is his conference calls it sounds like. he needs something just super quiet inside, easy to drive , fun when you want it to be. The ISF seems like it fits that bill, under his price range and overall a really bad ass car to match his NSX. I don't have one but have driven 2 now and absolutely love them. I went for an IS250AWD actually and couldn't be happier (My price range was a little lower). So I may be a little biased :)

the 996 turbos should be reliable; but imo the styling (especially the interior is just very dated, the nsx interior designed a decade before the 996 looks more modern imo). while i know that the avg on-looker has trouble distinguishing between the diff. iterations of the 911, the 996 will look dated once you start studying porsche's more.

re cayman/boxters, if you are used to Japanese reliability with engines that last forever, i would only purchase 2009 and onwards caymans/boxters. imo the interiors for the cayman felt cramped during my test drive. however, the new generation caymans as well as the new boxters (a neighbor of mine has one)... those a a totally diff story. the 2012+ are amazing.

the is-f is nice, but for a daily driver duties the car will guzzle gas like crazy since it has the lexus ls460 engine in there; and there is no 6-spd manual. however im going to assume many of them will be coming off lease soon so the buy out residual will almost always be under market-value, if you can nab a car with a few months lease left with the intent to purchase the car outright, it should yeild good value.

im not surprised you changed your mind re the brz. a buddy my age has an frs... the first thing that came to mind when sitting in it was that its not bad, but i feel a little 'too old' to own one myself. if it were 2003 and i were 10 years younger i would be totally ape$h!t owning one.

What do you guys think of the 996TT? It seems like the best bang for the buck right now (just ignore those headlights).

+1. u need therapy. IS-F.....lifestyle and fits you de best! :wink:

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the 996TT?
As a sports car based on bang for the buck? It's a pretty good choice. As a car for someone who speaks of too much overlap with the NSX, and wants more refinement and a quiet interior for conference calls? Not so much.

Last edited:
I find myself looking for a new DD... I find myself wanting more refinement the older I get. I think it's because of all the awesome new cars out right now makes me want to buy something else. I'm all over the place. I'm not use to the feeling lol

Can we discuss some of these vehicles? Feel free to recommend some too. I don't really have a budget in mind but i'd like to stay below $70k. Obviously, it's nice to keep some of that $ in my pocket. I really could compromise between purchase price, maintenance costs, and mpg vs. fun.
The choice seems obvious to me: Porsche 997 (or 991) 911 Carrera 4S Targa. It's more of a GT, than a dedicated & focused sportscar (ala NSX). Also, it's quite refined & practical w/ (barely, but) usable backseats & reasonable frunk storage (as well as a rear-hatch for stowage for parcel-shelf/bench storage, such access to the rear is exclusive to the Targa!). And the exterior design of the Targa is unique to the 911-range (nice angles w/ the 911 curves). The Carrera "S" trim will give the performance/technology & style/design attributes (over a base Carrera).

For me, it's the ultimate daily-driver (as of what's currently out there). Obviously, needs/wants & preferences/requirements may vary from individual-to-indvidual.

Accord...

... a Genesis Spec R is a good choice.
QFT.

Arguably, the current gen' Accord sedan is best midsize platform & the current gen' Genesis sedan is the best fullsize platform. Both Honda & Hyundai (respectively) nailed it w/ these offerings. Obviously, personal preference will prevail for many, but subjectively speaking- these two are a cut above the rest (namely, their contemporaries in their market segements).

Last edited:
now we're talking :)

The choice seems obvious to me: Porsche 997 (or 991) 911 Carrera 4S Targa. It's more of a GT, than a dedicated & focused sportscar (ala NSX). Also, it's quite refined & practical w/ (barely, but) usable backseats & reasonable frunk storage (as well as a rear-hatch for stowage for parcel-shelf/bench storage, exclusive to the Targa). And the exterior design of the Targa is unique to the 911-range (nice angles w/ the 911 curves). The Carrera "S" trim will give the performance/technology & style/design attributes (over a base Carrera).

For me, it's the ultimate daily-driver (as of what's currently out there). Obviously, needs/wants & preferences/requirements may vary from individual-to-indvidual.

now we're talking :)
That whole "great minds..." thing! :D

myw said:
'05 911 c2s cobalt 6-spd
My ideal 911 would be: a 997/991 911 C2S Targa PDK! I believe late-model Targa offerings only come in C4 & C4S trim, sigh! :redface:

My Lapis blue 996.2 Targa is Tiptronic-S (5spd.) & I'm totally enthralled w/ the overall performance w/ the slushbox. I needed the manual-transmission relief ala the commuters-curse w/ the ever-increasing traffic & congestion as of late! :eek:

Last edited:
Luxurious, fast, under warranty, 18K miles, $116,000 new, now can be had for low 50's. 6 speed, 510 HP V10. Put an Eisenmann exhaust on it, and enjoy. Not too big, not too small, safe.

I've never been a big fan of this body style (I borrowed a buddy's 645 for a month and liked it otherwise) but there is also something special about this generation of M6's and M5's. This is likely the last generation of V10, all N/A, absolute beasts. I respect BMW's but have never been emotionally attached to their products sufficient to buy one outright, but this particular engine is fantastic.

The choice seems obvious to me: Porsche 997 (or 991) 911 Carrera 4S Targa.
And it seems obvious to me that this is the wrong choice for RYU. I'd say the same thing about this as I did about the 996TT:

As a sports car based on bang for the buck? It's a pretty good choice. As a car for someone who speaks of too much overlap with the NSX, and wants more refinement and a quiet interior for conference calls? Not so much.

Back