• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

redline shockproof oil for tranny????

Has anyone used redline shockproof lightweight oil for the tranny?? My cousin had a really notchy first and reverse gear on his wrx, and we changed the oil with this and immediately the notchiness went away. It shifted very smoothly. He used a combo of 3 quarts of redline shockproof oil and topped off with a motul 75w-90. I don't have issues with my tranny, but its soon due for fluid change and would like to try something other than mtf. http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspxpid=43&pcid=8

Been using Redline MTL in trans (Comptech 4.55 & JDM gears) for 15 years.

I'm in the process of looking to replace my tranny from running over road debris that cracked the case.

Instead of using Amsoil I'm going to run Torco RTF based on the large numbers of folks on Honda-tech.com and honda tranny shops that seems to love it.

Torco was selected in the UAV and have a very good reputation in the domestic massive HP/TQ guys that run it in their drivetrain.

I haven't found a single story of dissatisfaction with Torco so far.

RTF.jpg

Some people also run this for our LSD:

Limited-Slip-Type-F.jpg

I've heard good things about shockproof.Im running white top Honda MTL at the moment,and the trans.is still a little notchy,next change I might try something different.

Yes, I've run Redline LIGHTWEIGHT Shockproof gear oil in the transmission of the LoveFab car for a few years now.......it works great.

Brian

There's been a lot of discussion on here about the 'GM Cocktail' and how it makes shifting easier but maybe not so good for the lsd in our cars especially the earlier models, how would this compare to the GM product?

I used to run Redline in the RX7 and it corroded syncros in 2 trannies.

I ran it in the NSX when I first got it. was a bit notching. really no improvement over the OEM MTF or 10w30 motor oil.

Then I ran Amsoil syncromesh and really noticed that "hot knife through butter" feel. Had it for 75k~ miles or so and not a single issue that people are describing.

One of the guys on there, Dave ran Amsoil and took the tranny apart and everything was fine and within spec.

I am now going to try the Torco since I have NEVER seen any complaints from any car groups.

I run Torco in the GTO LSD and it's the best product for the GTO LSD. I swear by it.

So based on my personal and other people's experience it seems that Torco may be the BEST tranny/LSD solution for the NSX.

Ran Redline for a number of years with no issues. IIRC, it was the fluid of choice for Comptech.

It's a good quality fluid. There may be some fractionally better but, really, you can't go wrong with it.

http://www.suasnews.com/2011/01/3329/south-african-oil-used-exclusively-in-predator-and-reaper-uav/

I spoke with SYNCHROTECH-TRANSMISSIONS.COM and they are all about the Torco.

It is similar to Redline Shockproof but we like the smoothness the Torco RTF gives to the shifting. The Torco is the same product used in the 3000+HP funny car trannies so I know it can take "abuse".....

Shockproof works like this:

There's tiny chunks of calcium in the fluid, hence it's "milky" appearance. Under load, they get in betwen the gears and as they're crushed they absorb the force by breaking into smaller chunks. Shockproof fluid is nothing new, it's been a drag racer's dream for decades. But what happens in a street car, is that once all those chunks are broken up (it doesn't take long either, maybe 3,000 Miles at MOST) you're basically left with horse piss for gear oil. It's awesome stuff, but it has it's place. It's place is in a drag car that gets launched hard, and launched hard often. In a street car, it's garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/144430-Torco-oil-the-best-oil-now

Last edited:
But have you ever heard any negative experiences from Amsoil users?
I used to run Redline in the RX7 and it corroded syncros in 2 trannies.

I ran it in the NSX when I first got it. was a bit notching. really no improvement over the OEM MTF or 10w30 motor oil.

Then I ran Amsoil syncromesh and really noticed that "hot knife through butter" feel. Had it for 75k~ miles or so and not a single issue that people are describing.

One of the guys on there, Dave ran Amsoil and took the tranny apart and everything was fine and within spec.

I am now going to try the Torco since I have NEVER seen any complaints from any car groups.

I run Torco in the GTO LSD and it's the best product for the GTO LSD. I swear by it.

So based on my personal and other people's experience it seems that Torco may be the BEST tranny/LSD solution for the NSX.

So is the friction modifier necessary in our application. I'll need approx. 3 quarts, correct? I'm about to place an order.

Back