• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reducing Wheel Gap Advice - Springs or Shocks?

Could anyone please offer some advice on my situation?--would like to improve aesthetics on reducing "wheel gap" (see pic). The facts:
- Car is a 1997 with ~120K miles and I've owned it the last 7.5 years so I know the OEM springs/shocks are at least that old--no idea if previous owner has replaced either part
- Car is already quite low so don't want to go too extreme and drop it too much
- I never track the car and it's not a daily driver--only driven on weekends
- Wheels are 17/18 Model 5s

I am looking for the most cost-effective option--have considered:
a. Keep OEM shocks and buy Tein S-Tech springs (or other option?)
b. Keep OEM springs and buy aftermarket shocks (any recs?)
c. Switch out both?

I don't know how much longer either existing OEM shocks/springs will last so looking for the best long-term cost-effective option. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Been beaten to death here.. Bilsteins on lower perch is the cheap route. Get new springs too perhaps. But first do the search ;)

I would have said get BC coilovers and be done with it. Probably best solution for the money but he didn't seem like he wanted to go down that path.

Last edited:
i went with teins on stock shocks and they rode nicely without being harsh. also the drop is conservative. they are for sale, because i went with ground control coilovers for a more aggressive drop. pm me for more info if you choose the teins

Last edited:
best bet is to search the site...but in the end by far the most common setup for owners who don't want or need adjutable coilovers is the oem spring on the bilsteins.......after that the koni yellow springs are popular and allow rebound adjustment.....afaik you can still order zanardi or type s springs and put them on the koni's for a little more "sport".Then there are the myriad coilovers.The kw suspension has been well recieved.

The OEM wheel gap, especially up front, bothers me so much. I had Eibach Pro Kit springs, installed by the PO. The car looked GREAT, but the hills of WV made it hard for me to pull in and out of places, so I had to go back to the factory springs, since my NSX in my daily driver. Other folks really don't notice the wheel gap. They just love the overall look of the car.

Bilsteins on highest perch with H&R springs. This way if you want to go lower you can put the springs (1.5 inch drop) on the lowest perch and go a bit lower. My car is riding on OEM struts with H&R and it is a nice drop and not much money.

For your situation, I would get the Bilsteins on the lower perch. This is the best route for you because:
1) It replaces your already worn out, 15 year old, OEM struts/shocks.
2) It is a conservative drop of only 7/8" (or you can have stock height if you want the upper perch).
3) It retains the OEM spring.
4) It is the most cost effective in your case. (If you decide to go the best route in ANYTIME's link, you'll have to replace the stock struts plus the Tein Springs.)
5) The Bilsteins have a Lifetime warranty.

For your situation, I would get the Bilsteins on the lower perch. This is the best route for you because:
2) It is a conservative drop of only 7/8" (or you can have stock height if you want the upper perch).
4) It is the most cost effective in your case. (If you decide to go the best route in ANYTIME's link, you'll have to replace the stock struts plus the Tein Springs.)
iagree.gif
- and nicely stated. About the only thing you left out is what jond touched on afterwards, that the Bilsteins also have a reasonably comfortably ride quality, while firming up nicely when you're throwing the car around.

Don't forget, you'll need to have your car aligned after making any changes to the suspension.

That's what I was trying to say... It's been said many time before :)

^yes but its so much more efficiently communicated this way...just sayin

I'm all about the search but you can spend days on a certain topic when knowledgeable people can just cut to the chase and come out and say it. Boom. Done.

The question is...more efficient for whom! I would consider this one of the most basic questions that gets asked, and the answer is most likely in the Wikipedia page under modding. Also it results in redundant threads which spreads information out and creates the very condition of having to sift through all of them on a given topic. Jus' sayin spend a moment on a BASIC search at least before waiting for the feed!

^yes but its so much more efficiently communicated this way...just sayin

I'm all about the search but you can spend days on a certain topic when knowledgeable people can just cut to the chase and come out and say it. Boom. Done.

You could also read the link I posted and get some feedback from a member who did quite a bit of research. Some say "put this on, I did" without asking the drawbacks.

Bilstein Shocks/Stock Springs on Lower perch - (cost = $530 + install). To solve the height problem above, I had the springs reinstalled on the lower perch. This gave an extremely hard ride all the time. I believe that as the Bilsteins are compressed by lowering the ride height (lower perch) they become harder. The biggest problem, however, is that they became noisy, generating squeaks and metallic banging noises. While others have had this problem and some have appeared to have solved it (at least temporarily) I believe that this is an inherent problem in the design of these shocks. Since the perches are movable, they can move on the shock body, which is what I believe creates the noises. Handling was better than on the higher perch, but was unnerving when hitting a bump while cornering, which caused the car to “skip” to the side

I know not the route you are looking to go, but as mentioned BC Coilovers is a good choice and not to much of a hit on the wallet. I just installed a set on my friends nsx and it rides a lot better as his shocks were going as well. I have them on my car and love them.

Indeed, great link.

Unfortunately, you will likely get a slew of opinions here so have a couple extra pennies....
1. You will need a proper alignment no matter what.
2. Most cost effective doesn't always mean cheapest.
3. I've had cars with lowering springs and switched to coilovers and then back to springs and people said it then and I have to agree that a matched spring/shock combo as a coilover system offers the ultimate in performance and flexibility. (Again, topic beaten to death).
4. It's an investment so spend wisely.
5. With that said...KW is indeed well received/proven (I have them as well and wouldn't have ANY other setup, personally)....check the vendor forum for kw groupbuy pricing.
6. If you can't "spring" (;))for kws, then I'm with Nero, idk how much they cost but I hear BCs are very reasonable with good reviews.

/end 10-year-old-debate rant. :)

Back