• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Registration in California

Registered Member
Has anyone registered a car from another state to california? I am hopeing that someone can tell me the fees they had to pay like Tax + License etc, and what was the percentage rates for it. Thanks

I bought my car in Texas. I paid Sales tax in Texas and signed a statement for California stating that I paid Texas Sales tax. I then owed $0 for Tax in California. I had to pay (price of car x .00775) for California registration. this was ~5 months ago.

Hi Blurr, Thanks for the quick help. I am planning to get one from IL and wondering if I can do the same as you with paying the tax over there. How much was your total for the registration if you dont mind me asking and is there any hidden fees I should worry about? Thanks a lot Blurr!

Bought mine in TN.
Had it shipped over here and payed taxes on it during registration.

I registered in Orange County as opposed to L.A. County because of the lower tax rate. I don't know the rate in S.F. but in O.C., I payed $775 for every $10k (L.A.=$825 per $10k).

I hate Uncle Sam.

You know, I really think that sales tax is very unconstitutional!

I envy Oregonians.

They call it a usage tax or something, rather than a sales tax, and in fact it is worse than sales tax. If I sell you something used like a house or a piece of furniture I own, there is no sales tax anymore since it was paid when the item was new. But every time the car is transferred, the usage tax is charged again and again. It is painful, too.

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue/Tan NSX-T with Tubi Exhaust, Italian Horn
'92 Green/Tan Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 Blue/Tan BMW 325iT Sportwagon

[This message has been edited by calexand (edited 14 January 2003).]

Thanks all for the input, do you guys think there is a way to lower the tax or would a dealer be able to write it down on the bill of sale at a lower price? Thanks

A private sale, if both parties feel good about the transaction, then yeah.

For a dealership to do this? You are probably going to have to know the managers well to pull this off, since there's more bookkeeping involved then just a title and a registration. Imagine what would happen if they were ever internally audited..

Sunny

As a general rule, when buying a car from out of state, you do NOT pay sales tax in the seller's state, but you DO pay sales tax in your home state.

Originally posted by Joel:
I hate Uncle Sam.

"Uncle Sam" is used to refer to the federal government. These are taxes imposed by your state government.

I really think that sales tax is very unconstitutional!

Quite the contrary. They are most definitely constitutional and have been upheld by the various state and federal courts that decide these things.

If you think that they are unfair, feel free to contact your state legislators to ask that they be repealed. (Given the current financial circumstances of most state governments, your chances for success are not exactly promising.)

I envy Oregonians.

No one's stopping you from moving there.

Originally posted by 201:
do you guys think there is a way to lower the tax or would a dealer be able to write it down on the bill of sale at a lower price?

Any attempt to circumvent these laws could very well be considered fraud and could be prosecuted as a crime. Definitely NOT recommended.

I thought I share something with you guys, perhaps it will save you some money. I bought the car in NV, registered the car in CA 3 months later, filed for tax exemption with the State Board of Equalization and I was able to avoid paying the sales tax with DMV. Here's the link, read page 10 and it will explain the requirements for exemption.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub52.pdf

If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll try to answer.

I also bought my car in Texas and registerd it in California about 2 months ago. I paid a total of about $2300 for use tax and registration. I live in Contra Costa County which has a fairly high sales tax rate. San Francisco should be similar. Also, when you go to DMV to register the car, first go to the verification/inspection area. Out-of -state cars must have the VIN's verified. They look for the VIN's next to the windshield and on the door jamb/sill. They also check for the 50-state smog sticker in the engine compartment. When preparing to check this last item, the woman asked me to pop the hood, not knowing it was a mid-engine car.
I was going to open the hood and have some fun with her but I was in rush.

I bought my car about 4 months ago from taxes....
I only paid about $1400 for taxes and registration because I put down $15000 as the sale price on the pink slip, althought I paid the average price for my car.......
and I don't have a problem register the car because the lady didn't know what is a NSX apparently and she said that it is very expensive for a 11 year old car:D
I guess you can do the same thing...if they have a question about the price that you put down.. you can always told them that the car has a mechanical problem and the seller is your friend, you will get away with it

NSXER119 said:
I only paid about $1400 for taxes and registration because I put down $15000 as the sale price on the pink slip, althought I paid the average price for my car.......
and I don't have a problem register the car because the lady didn't know what is a NSX apparently and she said that it is very expensive for a 11 year old car:D
I guess you can do the same thing...if they have a question about the price that you put down.. you can always told them that the car has a mechanical problem and the seller is your friend, you will get away with it

The only problem with this is> What did you tell your insurance co. the cars value was? If you wrap you car around a pole and total it, what do you get paid back? The original purchase price?(which shows 15k, not the 30-50 normal NSX pricing). Or do you get KBB value? When my NSX was totaled, I was paid back exactly what I paid for it. Thank god I didn't do what you did, or I would be screwed. You saved now, but may lose later. Typically, the DMV will have a red flag show up if you understate the cars purchase price compared to it's value. Take for example: I sell my car to my brother for 1000bucks. The DMV won't charge me tax on the 1000, they will estimate the value and charge me taxes accordingly. I'm suprised that didn't happen to you, maybe time will tell. After what I went thru with my crash, I'm glad I didn't misrepresent the purchase price. In my local, I pay $72.50 per thousand purchase price.

I just bought my car from Texas a month ago and brought it home to Sacramento County in California. Once in California, I paid 7.75% use tax based on the purchase price, and the registration was 10% of the use tax. So, to register my $34k car (use tax, yearly fees), it cost me about $2900.

NSXER119 said:

I know someone who did this and got caught and their price was only 5K dollars off of the actual transacted price.

The state of California will actually go through the trouble of verifying this by looking at the two party's bank records. Unless you've covered that base, they will catch up to you, make you pay the tax you legitimately owe, and then FINE you on top of that!

I would not recommend this practice at all.

Guys, I am not suggesting writing the price down, that's different from what I did, there's a legal way to avoid the use tax. Just trying to share my experience.

Back