• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Remove factory lip spoiler with R wing?

At this poing i'm 99% sure that the lip was there to create a little bit of downforce, your type r spoiler is sitting at a higher angle than your oem so that way it also compensates for that little lip. Just leave it there :cool:.

So Matt's seen the factory 02+ R's don't have the lip spoiler. Has anyone seen a factory R with the lip spoiler ? I'm wondering if it is 100% fact that the factory deleted the lip when using the R wing. Unless someone has seen other than Matt I will assume that's the case.

My rear bumper has less dirt with the lid spoiler on. Drove it in the rain and not much dirt accumulated compared to when I don't have it on.

I forgot the exact amount, but in an interview, an engineer for the Chevy Volt noted that a tiny 5mm bump on the rear lip of the trunk edge resulted in around a half mile of extra range in electric mode. I would vote for the idea the lip is for drag reduction fine tuning.

100% it's not there on factory r. Looked at so many type r's at fiesta last year in japan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting... Thanks!

you're welcome.

the aerodynamic benefit is likely to reduce drag. typically, the air would flow over the trunk and curve down the rear of the car before seperating. this is why the bumper is dirty as someone mentioned.

Well the RGT has an extended rear bumper so perhaps the lip helps there.

May seem like a dumb question, and even an obvious one... But is the 02+ lip spoiler compatible with a 91-01 trunk? I mean I think it should, but better to clarify first.

Well the RGT has an extended rear bumper so perhaps the lip helps there.

the RGT has a massive front lip on that bumper, so it is necessary to improve downforce on the rear... remember the NSX-R wing was optimized for the NSX-R front aero and it probably needs some help to balance things out. hence the trunk lip and that rear bumper. (although unless the diffusor is pretty crazy, im not sure its adequate)

Im not sure Honda did any specific aero testing for the 5 models made, or even for that lip spoiler on later models, so who really knows. my suggestion is to get on the track and see if you like it. it for sure reduces drag and thus increases the rear downforce and shifts the balance rearward. now if you lack the proper front nsx-r aero pieces or equivalent, then your balance is out of whack anyways. you said you have the undertray, do you also have the radiator duct and a proper hood with a duct that extends deep into the bay? and do you have the same rake that the NSX-R does? even the weight balance comes into consideration. i think if everything is exact to NSX-R specs, then take it off... otherwise, just leave it on and save yourself the trouble.

Last edited:
May seem like a dumb question, and even an obvious one... But is the 02+ lip spoiler compatible with a 91-01 trunk? I mean I think it should, but better to clarify first.

yes it fits,but the oem piece has mounting holes in it where it screws into the newer trunks,so for older cars just get one of the copies and double sided tape it.

the RGT has a massive front lip on that bumper, so it is necessary to improve downforce on the rear... remember the NSX-R wing was optimized for the NSX-R front aero and it probably needs some help to balance things out. hence the trunk lip and that rear bumper. (although unless the diffusor is pretty crazy, im not sure its adequate)

Im not sure Honda did any specific aero testing for the 5 models made, or even for that lip spoiler on later models, so who really knows. my suggestion is to get on the track and see if you like it. it for sure reduces drag and thus increases the rear downforce and shifts the balance rearward. now if you lack the proper front nsx-r aero pieces or equivalent, then your balance is out of whack anyways. you said you have the undertray, do you also have the radiator duct and a proper hood with a duct that extends deep into the bay? and do you have the same rake that the NSX-R does? even the weight balance comes into consideration. i think if everything is exact to NSX-R specs, then take it off... otherwise, just leave it on and save yourself the trouble.
I dont think any of is could feel the difference of the decklid spoiler. I feel everyone is way overthinking it as its unlikely will make any significant impact on the handling balance of the car.

well i would agree its not significant relative to say the downforce produced on your race car, but relative to the NSX-R, it can be significant as the car doesn't really produce much downforce. engineers obsess over aerodynamics for a reason and while most of us cannot percieve the difference of such a seemingly insignificant piece... the fact remains that the new front end reduces the lift coefficient by .025 and the fact they added that spoiler to said models with the new front end must mean it does something. i would bet you that combined with the 02+ lower valence that it is producing similar results in the rear.

i think with the rampant disregard for aerodynamics among the NSX community, overthinking should be encouraged. no overthinking is needed here though, the data is provided and you can simply look at it, approve and replicate if you so wish. i personally like what Honda did to preserve ground clearance, but im not a huge fan of that hood nor wing.

There are quite a few on prime who do pay attention to aero on their NSXs. Thinking is fine but its all speculation until someone talks to the engineers who did the aero work on the car or until someone back to back tests the difference of the decklid addition in a wind tunnel. Either way the piece was added to the base nsx and not the R, but was on the RGT that i drove. At the end of the day its probably insignificant -even for the low downforce nsxr. I wouldnt sweat about it. Put it on if you like the looks or take it off if you dont.

so i did a little searching and here is what i came up with regarding the facelifted base NSX vs old...

"the revisions have improved aerodynamics, dropping the Cd from 0.32 to 0.30. Lift coefficients have also been considerably reduced (front from 0.073 to 0.055, rear from 0.042 to 0.020)"

http://www.squidoo.com/honda-nsx

Yes. Otherwise this whole thread wouldn't be a question.

Voltex did wind tunnel testing with there wing and there is a deck lid option for it as well

Back