• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing and keeping rust off rotors

On the rotor surface - it will wear away as you use the brakes.

On the rest of the rotors - don't worry about it.

Originally posted by Slingshot:
When I wash my car and pull it in the garage without driving it, the rotor surfaces always rust up. One trip around the block applying the brakes removes all the surface rust.

Ditto that. You will also see this with cars that have been lying in dealer (or any) lots for a while.

Regards.

I am not talking about rust on the rotor where the pad touches, there is rust on the inner diameter and outside edge. I have open wheels, so the rust is pretty noticeable.

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

Powder coating as mentioned, or brake caliper paint.

-Jim

I have friends who hated the rusted edges of their rotors just like you and they went to Wal-Mart and bought some silver paint markers and got to work. After a year or so, it still hasn't worn off. I'd suggest you try that before getting them powder coated.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Navel jelly to dissolve the rust followed up with high temp enamel will do the trick.

-- Chris

Ditto that'll work.
I actually wire brushed it all then used high temp.caliper paint in black (sold in many auto stores) .Ive done three cars this way and the result is show quality.

FOCUSED,DRIVEN AND PERSISTENT
NEVER CEASING,NEVER ENDING!!!

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Took a grinder with a wire brush and took the rust off. Will have to try the navel jelly next time. Painted the rotors with high temp paint.

rotor.jpg

Quick question, can you just take the rotor off get all the rust off and spray the whole thing or would it be better to mask off the area where the pads make contact?

I removed the rotor to do the work away from the car. You may need an impact driver to removed the two Philips screws holding the rotor. I removed the rust with a wire brush attached to a grinder and taped off most of the surface that makes contact with the brake pads.

I'm not sure how well paint wears off or what affect it may have on the brake pad material so I opted to mask most of the rotor surface off.

Once all the rust was off, I cleaned all residue off with a brake cleaner. I placed the rotors on four empty paint cans with lots of newspaper around. Painted them with high temp paint and let them dry overnight. With normal driving and a few open track events, it lasted almost a year.

I had my crash shop spray my dba rotors with two pac paint and they were nice enough to supply a small can of touch up paint. This lasted for as long as i had the car. They masked off the major areas and any residue remaining was worn of by the brake pads.

Navel jelly? No, not 'navel' jelly. You want naval jelly - the pink stuff. 'Navel' jelly comes from, well, uh, one's navel. And I don't even want to guess how that got there!!

Sorry, Chris, one of the occupational hazards of being a wordsmith!
wink.gif

Back