• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing wax from rubber parts

Does anyone have a good solution for removing traces of wax from black rubber parts/seals? Can I use citrus oil/solvent? Same as I use for removing wax from underneath my ski.

Thanks for advices. Have to buy a jar of peanutbutter, but it sounds a bit weird for me. Back to black works for a while, but does not remove the wax.

Thanks for advices. Have to buy a jar of peanutbutter, but it sounds a bit weird for me. Back to black works for a while, but does not remove the wax.

It is wierd, but it works. Also if you ever get road tar on your car, don't use harsh solvents to remove it. Rub some butter on it. Seriously.

Makes more sense. I guess any butter will do. I remember my father sometimes using butter on his hands to remove oil and dirt before soaping.

My first thought was that there might be some magic ingredient in peanuts...:biggrin:

Used to use back to black when I had my Rangerover, looks great when first applied, but when it gets wet it streaks. Zaino, make a rubber product, or grios garage, leaves a nice flat look, without the greasy feel. Frank

Phlegm isolates and absorbs most :tongue: or..

Mcguires detail spray(basically water) and a q-tip.

They use a dawn wash to remove the wax from the paint to start new shouldnt that also work on rubber ?

I wouldn't use Dawn. It takes all the oils out of the rubber and will dry it out.

Wax removes wax. Just put a little wet wax over teh area, on a cloth or a q-tip for the crevices, and wipe away. It works with sap, bird droppings, etc.

Wax removes wax. Just put a little wet wax over teh area, on a cloth or a q-tip for the crevices, and wipe away. It works with sap, bird droppings, etc.

So if wax removes wax, you put more wax on. Are you saying to remove sap, you put more sap on? Where do I find more bird droppings?:smile:

Maybe hot water will do, but nothing like putting more wax on the rubber or usin strong solvent which makes the rubber even more wither. :wink:
I'll try the "fat based"-solution (butter etc) when temperature crawls over freezing point somteimes end of this month. Will keep you updated on the progress.

Where do I find more bird droppings?:smile:

Here.
387910934_70b5d2ce08.jpg

WAX OFF!!!
attachment.php

Attachments

• waxoff.gif
    waxoff.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 163
I tried all of the above methods (at least the serious ones) such as: (Back to Black, Peanut oil, WD-40) on my 92 151,000 mile daily driver which has been subject to the harsh sun here in Dallas. I had little to no improvement especially on the rubber gasket that surrounds the rear hatch.

I actually inquired about the cost of a new rubber seal, but before I ordered it I tried on last thing:

0000 steel wool.....and it worked great. Took a lot of rubbing, especially at the junction of the window glass and the rubber, but it looks 100% better and almost brand new.

I opended the hatch and put an old sheet under it to catch the loose fibers from the steel wool. Took about 30 to 40 minutes, just elbow grease & 0000 steel wool. I don't know if any other courseness of steel wool would work, as I only had the 0000 in the tool chest.

Try it if the above methods have not worked for you!

Back