• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

repair cost?

i am thinking about buying an old 15 years old nsx with high mileage. the car is still running good. but it had 150k miles on it. i was wondering if the tranny or motor goes out. how much does it cost for a used one online?

topgearnsx said:
i am thinking about buying an old 15 years old nsx with high mileage. the car is still running good. but it had 150k miles on it. i was wondering if the tranny or motor goes out. how much does it cost for a used one online?

Do a leak down test to see the compression of your engine, 150k on Honda engine is not a big deal. Tranny wise, do you have auto or stick?

i said i am thinking about getting one that is old instead of the newer model, i just want to have a #, so i know how much it will cost when thing goes bad.

An NSX engine will be well over $10,000 from the few sources I saw online in a 5min google search.

I remember these guys talking about a 6spd tranny swap costing something like $7,000+.

these are far from exact, but the short of it is *$$ alot*

rickysals said:
An NSX engine will be well over $10,000 from the few sources I saw online in a 5min google search.

I remember these guys talking about a 6spd tranny swap costing something like $7,000+.

these are far from exact, but the short of it is *$$ alot*

damn, that's freaking scary, that's how much my nsx going to cost!

Your lucky in that NSX pricing is VERY consistant geographically and for similar models. It's tough to "get a deal" but, unless you're buying from a dealer, it's also tought to get screwed. Consensus is that low to mid 30k does it for 91-93, with NO problems. No snap ring. Mechanical all up to date, perfect, etc. You'll see plenty listed for high 20's, but if you have to drop new tires ($800) and a clutch, well - you're up to low thirties again.

BTW, I was looking at purchasing my first NSX in 2000. An early 90's coupe, MT, with relatively low miles in Colorado. Asking $34,000. That same car, for sale now, probably $31,000.

topgearnsx said:

$17,000? If it passes the PPI, buy the damn thing immediately or if you decide to pass, PM the seller's info so I can buy it.

topgearnsx said:

Make sure its up to date on all of its maintenance especially the timing belt/water pump. If not, I would not even risk driving it upon purchase. Immediately have it towed to the nearest nsx repair shop to have the maintenance completed. If the timing belt/water pump has never been done and you plan on driving it and putting that off til a later time, then you are doing the right thing by checking out prices of used engines.

And if everything checks out, you are really getting a deal on it.

topgearnsx said:
i said i am thinking about getting one that is old instead of the newer model, i just want to have a #, so i know how much it will cost when thing goes bad.
Why do you say "when"? The chances are VERY unlikely that you will EVER need a new engine or transmission, unless you do something stupid like mis-shift or drain all the oil.

rickysals said:

Those prices sound like they are for a NEW engine or transmission. You can typically get entire 5-speed drivetrains (engine plus transmission) used for $5K or thereabouts.

Hugh said:
$17,000? If it passes the PPI, buy the damn thing immediately or if you decide to pass, PM the seller's info so I can buy it.

i found it on craigslist, not sure that's scam or not. i'll find out this week.

Hugh said:

"PPI" is what again ?:confused:

Ahhhhhhh :wink:

Wasn't there some acronym somewhere for an Acura Dealer pulling ALL the service records of a car ?

Back