• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Review: NSX-Appeal trunk struts

struts were brought here http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129146

one week after the install i was reaching for my gym bag the struts failed and the trunk 'dropped' on my head and yes it bled a little. For those who dont know;the nsx trunk is HEAVY.

so i pm'd the seller requesting a refund, and he declined because he was in a 'bad mood' caused by me supposedly trashing his product on prime(it was only 2 sentences link above)

i could write a very long story on why i would not replace my struts from the same seller, but here it is in one sentence; you dont stand behind your product and your customer service is terrible.

buyer beware i am not the only person who has issues with this seller. I will take this as a loss. Prime is an amazing site, new products come in we review them and hopefully the rest of Prime can get some insight, this is one of them :)

overall review

product 1/10
it makes more sense financially to go oem or rebuild especially Canadians duties make this a not-so-wise choice. 1 point for it showing up at my door 1 month.

warrenty 0/10
wont refund but will send another pair in the condition that i pay for return shipping. i think he made me pay because of his 'bad mood' i guess a good mood would mean that i would not have to pay for return shipping, can anyone else who had a return issue chime in?

customer service 0/10
this would be too long, in short rude very bad customer service doesn't reply to pm's.

recommend?
NO, i wouldn't recommend this to my mother in law.

Re: Review:trunk struts you might want to read this

Actually if you check you will find that I posted my feelings about this fellow. I purchased the struts and was not happy about how they fit. I immediately contacted the seller and he refused to allow me to return them (with my paying the shipping). We went back and forth and I finally left him a negative response. He then left me a negative response for leaving him one. He is a very rude individual. I ended up advertising them on prime but only charged for the freight. So I basically gave them away. I warned the new buyer that they did not have the correct offset etcetera. They buyer was very happy to get them for free. This guy is not what I consider to be a class act.

Manny

so i pm'd the seller requesting a refund, and he declined because he was in a 'bad mood' caused by me supposedly trashing his product on prime

I'm not sure where 350Z gets this. I never said I was declining his request because of a "bad mood". I specifically told him I would be in a better mood to help him if he hadn't first gone into the forums and trashed me. Essentially I was disappointed he would seek a public venue to vent his anger rather than simply contacting me first to arrive at a resolution.

Despite my disappointment at how he handled the situation, I still offered to accept his return, and I told him I would replace the claimed defective Columbia units with a brand new pair of GSB struts, with 30 lbs. more compression each, but he refused (and still refuses) to return them.

i could write a very long story on why i would not replace my struts from the same seller, but here it is in one sentence; you dont stand behind your product and your customer service is terrible.

That's incorrect. I do stand behind the products I sell, and have replaced every defective set (all TWO of them) which have been returned to me. I do not however agree to pay return shipping. If you have a defective unit, it's returned at your expense, and the replacement is shipped at my expense. This is exactly how companies like ScienceofSpeed, Dali Racing, and the vast majority of all mailorder businesses operate. In your case, you'd be receiving a superior product to the original you ordered, which is now discontinued.

buyer beware i am not the only person who has issues with this seller. I will take this as a loss.

That's your prerogative, but I have offered, and still do offer to replace them with newer units I'm sure you'll be happy with. I've personally never had direct experience with any of the old Columbia units failing, but like with any aftermarket part, there will always be a small percentage which have some type of defect. Out of the 140 sets I've sold, I've received two sets back (1.4% defect rate), and promptly replaced them for the end-users with return shipping at my expense. All I can do is make the offer. I can't force you to take it.

Prime is an amazing site, new products come in we review them and hopefully the rest of Prime can get some insight, this is one of them :)

I agree about Prime, and about the value of insight. And with both sides of the story revealed, readers can benefit from true insight by getting all the facts instead of those which only benefit one party.

[/B]product 1/10
it makes more sense financially to go oem or rebuild especially Canadians duties make this a not-so-wise choice. 1 point for it showing up at my door 1 month.

I'm not sure why it would have taken a month unless there were customs delays. I shipped it to you within two days of getting your payment confirmation.

warrenty 0/10
wont refund but will send another pair in the condition that i pay for return shipping.

That could be a bit misleading as written. My stated policy is that I will pay return shipping to you, after you ship them to me at your expense. I won't pay both ways, and I don't believe I've ever ordered anything online in which the seller I bought from agreed to pay shipping both ways.

Your main complaint seems to be the return shipping. Question: Do you hold S.O.S. or Dali to the same standard, or do they get a pass because they're big, powerful companies instead of a lowly hobby seller? IOW, if you'd ordered something from one of them and it turned out to be defective, would you be here complaining just as loudly after they instructed you to ship the item back at your expense? Or are you only here because you have a personal beef with me?

i think he made me pay because of his 'bad mood' i guess a good mood would mean that i would not have to pay for return shipping, can anyone else who had a return issue chime in?

Incorrect (see above).

customer service 0/10
this would be too long, in short rude very bad customer service doesn't reply to pm's.

Another untruth. I've responded to every PM you've sent me. I'm not always able to get to them within minutes after you write them...I'm sorry about that.

recommend?
NO, i wouldn't recommend this to my mother in law.

I actually am sorry you had trouble with the struts, but you could have handled this issue of the return much better by not being so combative and belligerent right out of the gate. When you're seeking someone's assistance, it's always easier to get it when you treat them respectfully and with common courtesy.

Regards,
Mike

Actually if you check you will find that I posted my feelings about this fellow. I purchased the struts and was not happy about how they fit. I immediately contacted the seller and he refused to allow me to return them (with my paying the shipping).

As I recall, you weren't even claiming they were defective. You just said your mechanic told you they "looked like they might rub".

The units don't rub, so there was no reason for you to return them. If there had been an actual defect in play, I would have gladly replaced them for you.

I ended up advertising them on prime but only charged for the freight. So I basically gave them away. I warned the new buyer that they did not have the correct offset etcetera.

Did this recipient of your generosity ever complain that they didn't work properly on his car?

@ vendor...

You go through so much trouble defending yourself when you could have just refunded our money. You must think we like going through this nonsense and all for a lousy $50? You've got to be joking me.

Potential buyers... beware!

As I recall, you weren't even claiming they were defective. You just said your mechanic told you they "looked like they might rub".

The units don't rub, so there was no reason for you to return them. If there had been an actual defect in play, I would have gladly replaced them for you.

Did this recipient of your generosity ever complain that they didn't work properly on his car?

I agree with one of the prime members in that if someone is not satisfied with what you have sold them, and is willing to ship them at their expense back to you that asking for a refund is not out of line. Do you state in your ad that no refunds are allowed? I did not post in prime initiallly, I sent you PMs asking for a refund but you refused.

And the fellow I eventually sold them to did leave some information.
Manny

Actually he PBNSX did in fact leave a note in my feedback file. Here it is:
After purchasing these struts from vendor on Prime Manny tried to return for refund. He offered them on Prime at Shipping cost. I purchased fully aware of defects. Earlier in the day I had sent an e-mail to NSX APPEAL to buy a set but when I saw Manny's offer. I e-mailed NSX APPEAL canceling order, he told me that Manny didn't even try them on the car.
When I received set from Manny I needed to grind one strut in order to get it to fit. The trunk will only hold all the way up and I don't think it will hold in cold weather.
These are inferior compared to OEM and NSX APPEAL shouldn't be allowed to sell these claiming they are "stronger" and better than OEM.
Phil Brown

Let me say that I do in fact appreciate people like yourself finding parts that offer a savings to the NSX Community. You are to be thanked for doing so. I just suggest that if you encounter someone who is unhappy that the easiest thing to do is quickly refund them their money. They will be happy that it did not become an ordeal (such as the present situation) and you will have maintained customer satisfaction. If you choose to only replace componets rather than issue a refund then I think it is important that you state in your correspondence clearly that no refunds are allowed. At least people won't be surprised.

Manny

Do you state in your ad that no refunds are allowed?

No. I hadn't anticipated dealing with unreasonable buyers like yourself, as I assumed most NSX owners would be courteous, reasonable and respectful. I will be sure to add that bit of text to the next ad.

PhilBrown said:
I purchased fully aware of defects.

Oh yes, I remember this post because I commented on it at the time. The only problem is that they weren't defective. If they were, I'd have replaced them for you without issue.

I needed to grind one strut in order to get it to fit.

No grinding of the connector is necessary. The clearances are close, but the end does not bind against the pin mount. The reason it doesn't bind is because the upward angle of the pin forces the ring end to the outside, away from the plate as strut pressure is applied.

I don't think it will hold in cold weather.

More speculation. It seems to me you both would be better off just reporting on what DOES happen instead of what you think MIGHT happen. That would be fair, right? It "might" rub, or it "might" not hold up are really just excuses to be argumentative.

I'm still not sure what your motivation is to behave this way, but such is life.

NSX APPEAL shouldn't be allowed to sell these claiming they are "stronger" and better than OEM. Phil Brown

I never said they were stronger or better than OEM.

:confused::confused:

Well I must admit I'd probably be in a much better mood to try and assist you if you hadn't first gone into the forums and trashed me and my product.

:frown:

The defect rate on these is low and I've only gotten two pairs back which I've promptly replaced. The pair you got were 70 lb. units made by Columbia and those are now discontinued. Instead I'm now selling the 100 lb. GSB struts. With 30 extra pounds of compression each, I doubt you'll have any trouble with them.

If you return these so I can return them to my supplier, I will ship you a pair of the new GSB units at my expense.

Mike

here is your 'bad mood'

who in this world would put another one of your products on their car after having it fail then the drunk drop on there head ?
i wouldn't so i asked for a refund and said that i would pay for the return shipping but you wouldn't allow a refund to a unsatisfied customer and only offered to replace them with your new superior 100lbs , makes a person think why the 60/70 lbs were discontinued and replaced with 30lbs more compression.
this isnt' a sticker mod or cosmetic mod, its to lift up the trunk if it fails as mine did, it could be physically dangerous i.e trunk falls on your head.

if anyone has any questions i'll be back next week from vacation.

cheers Prime.

Quy

Had a similar problem with the NSX Appeal trunk struts about a year ago.

I seemed clear that I wouldn't have any luck with him remedying the problem

so I removed them and threw them away.

I'm disappointed that he's still selling these a year later.

Do not use GSB struts for the trunk. The plastic retaining clip will not fit over the top. The strut also moves around on the upper pin as there is no bushing. The upper connection is not offset so clip can go back in the original place. I had to cut mine off. AVOID.

Back