• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Review: SoS 3.5L Stage 3 Motor - Twin Turbo - 666RWHP - 3yrs & 41,000 Miles Later

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
Here's the review: It might as well have been installed by Honda since it's been as reliable in the last 3 years/41,000 miles as it was for the first 265,300 miles and 18 years before Science of Speed worked their magic. Oil consumption is down to less than a quart per 3,0000 miles from about a quart every 1,000 miles when new which is normal for this type of motor. The only issue was with the original fuel pump but that was easily fixed with the SoS fuel pump power kit and an Aeromotive pump. For the record I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles using Amsoil 10W-40 Premium Protection motor oil, a 3 oz. maintenance dose of Auto-Rx, and Denso 150-1013 oil filters. I figured 41,000 miles would be a good time for an engine oil analysis. Here is a copy of the report I just got back from Blackstone Labs. It says more about how great this motor is than I ever could.

Charlotte 41K Miles New Motor.jpg

oh wow....Thanks for sharing. It's great to hear from experienced users like you about how great the motor & TT setup performed.

Your stock motor with 265k on it burned a quart every 1000 miles? How long had it been doing that for?

Wow - burning a quart every thousand miles? With that poor of oil consumption, you'd never need to "change" the oil - just the filter!

I hate to say it, but that's just like a German car :biggrin:

Thanks, I understood that part. Even the "broken-in" quart every 3k miles is still disappointing.

Are you using low-tension piston rings or something? Poor valve job?

The stock motor had zero oil consumption even after 265K miles. The new 3.5L stroker burned about a quart every 1000 miles and now with 41k miles on it, it's down to a quart or less every 3,000 miles. This is normal oil consumption for a stoker motor and I was advised of this by SoS prior to the build, I check the oil regularly (as all of you should be doing) and top off as necessary.

Let's not lose sight that SoS has built me a bulletproof 800HP beast of a motor that's as reliable as a Honda factory engine.

Another thread would be nice on aftermarket piston oil consumption. Piston design/material, ring design/material, P2W clearance, power (cylinder brake mean effective pressure), oil used, etc are all important variables on oil consumption.

With all those factors accounted for in my 600WHP build, my engine builder expects about 0.5 qt every 5k miles. We'll see.

Congrats on the engine. What air filters do you use on those turbos? Seems like a very low silicon content in the oil.

Thanks, I understood that part. Even the "broken-in" quart every 3k miles is still disappointing.

Are you using low-tension piston rings or something? Poor valve job?

The pistons that I used for the NSX and GTO build are the exact same forged alloy as the ones that SOS sells - 2618.

I think I've posted more detail on that topic matter somewhere on your DIY semi engine build thread on the pros/cons and characteristics to expect (one of which was on oil consumption).

Cliff Notes version is that there are really 2 options out there (regardless of piston maker) for forged pistons:

1. 4032 alloy which has more silicon, it's lighter, less pistons expansion and contraction during cold start cycles
2. 2618 alloy is the strongest - ideal for boosted engine, pistons are contracted when cold (hence you will probably hear piston "slap" before it's fully warmed up). When it's cold and contracted this will consume the most oil and also dirty up the oil as well since it's not sealing as well as when it's warmed up.

All engines will consume oil including the factory engine. The factory engine consumes less due to its cast design which has a much lower growth rate. Factory Honda engines with forged pistons consume even more (.5-1 qt / 3000 for the S2000 F20/F22 is typical).

1 qt / 3000 miles is typical for this type of engine. The majority of oil consumption is not under boost, but rather when the engine is first turned on from being cold. During this phase, the piston grows and the wall - piston clearance decreases. This is the trade off required for a piston designed to handle 1000 BHP that is also street driven which will experience a high frequency of cold starts .

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the review: It might as well have been installed by Honda since it's been as reliable in the last 3 years/41,000 miles as it was for the first 265,300 miles and 18 years before Science of Speed worked their magic. Oil consumption is down to less than a quart per 3,0000 miles from about a quart every 1,000 miles when new which is normal for this type of motor. The only issue was with the original fuel pump but that was easily fixed with the SoS fuel pump power kit and an Aeromotive pump. For the record I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles using Amsoil 10W-40 Premium Protection motor oil, a 3 oz. maintenance dose of Auto-Rx, and Denso 150-1013 oil filters. I figured 41,000 miles would be a good time for an engine oil analysis. Here is a copy of the report I just got back from Blackstone Labs. It says more about how great this motor is than I ever could.

Awesome results Hugh, thanks for the long term update on the ScienceofSpeed engine and turbocharger system.

Last edited:
1 qt / 3000 miles is typical for this type of engine.

The engine was at 1qt/3000 miles when it was new. Checked the oil last night, 1,400+ miles since the last change and consumption has been 1/8" on the dipstick. Virtually nil.

Awesome results Hugh, thanks for the long term update on the ScienceofSpeed engine and turbocharger system.

The awesome results are simply evidence of the awesome job your team did designing, testing and building this incredible power plant. Once again the age old adage "you get what you pay for" proves its validity.

The engine was at 1qt/3000 miles when it was new. Checked the oil last night, 1,400+ miles since the last change and consumption has been 1/8" on the dipstick. Virtually nil.

The awesome results are simply evidence of the awesome job your team did designing, testing and building this incredible power plant. Once again the age old adage "you get what you pay for" proves its validity.

Thank you. Your long term feedback is really appreciated.

Thank you. Your long term feedback is really appreciated.

LOL. "long term"? It's only been in the car for 3 years. While I realize that's the average lifespan of your run of the mill Eurojunk exotic, we're talking NSX here. At 41,000 miles this little motor is just about broken in. I'll get back to you in 7 years for a long term update but I promise to give intermediary ones as Charlotte an I continue our little journey. Part of that journey will involve a trip to your neck of the woods for a 6 speed transmission. :)

a 6 speed transmission. :)

Charlotte the rocket highway MPG gonna "sky rocket"!! I called OS Giken last wk, the 4.4 is no longer until the redesign is finalized.....but the oem 4.06 is still avail. :wink: you need grip that to laid down all the pow-wow tork running away from the Zombies.

he has plenty of tork to stay out of 3rd. besides, he is not on slicks and all that anger management turns into smoke. he will gain top speed with the 6. My guess is Hugh likes to feel closer to God/666 when he drives. See his other thread on playing with a Big Mac. He knows what he is doing at 300k+ miles.

Not many of us use all the power we have all the time.

Last edited:
Why would you want a six speed with all that power you already have! What would you gain?

You familiar with the proverb: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."?

Please go here then come back to class and answer your own question please.

how much for engine/tuning? Without brakes/clutch/other things you have probably upgraded.

All the prices on listed on SoS's website. I just gave Chris a blank check and let his excellent team work their magic. All I know is that I got a lot more than I paid for. Up the 45K miles on the beastie motor now.

Top speed with a 6 speed tranny is 202 mph. However, my stroker motor has a 7500 rpm redline making the acheivable top speed a paltry 189.375 mph. Then again I don't have a rev limiter. :) Don't think that I've already thought about this. If I could get a custom R&P like say 3.75 to replace the 4.06 then things could get interesting.

Back