• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

reviews are out

weird....I've never seen a sports car delivered without the mags having already done instrumented tests.

weird....I've never seen a sports car delivered without the mags having already done instrumented tests.

Dunno about that. Many cars are released in Europe first, so easy to get a preview. But for cars released here first or worldwide at the same time, full magazine reviews of production models don't always come out until car ships. For example, I don't think the full reviews of the Corvette C7 Z06 were out before shipping--- although Chevy had released various "official" stats for 0-60, 1/4 mile. IIRC, the Nissan GT-R reviews came out afterward also.

I hope/assume we will see full reviews / tests "real soon now."

i disagree, and agree with docjohn. press cars exist for a reason, and Acura/Honda has been super weird about the release of this car. very restrictive to say the least, it's all been a bit bizarre...

i disagree, and agree with docjohn. press cars exist for a reason, and Acura/Honda has been super weird about the release of this car. very restrictive to say the least, it's all been a bit bizarre...
Exactly, like how they wouldn't let Nsx owners even sit in it at the last expo. I wasn't there but I heard. That is seriously f'd up. Now, all people who dropped cash on the cars are getting strung along. Where are the production deliveries? "On e-bay". That's where they are.... For almost 300k. Somehow the term don't shit where you eat comes to mind....

Yeah that's probably a fair point. I can't help but feel that they have taken every measure and opportunity to postpone "judgement day" as long as they can get away with it, without having to announce another delay. This, so they can continue to work on "cracking the code", so to speak, to get the motors to work seamlessly with each other and the ICE in every conceivable variety of situations. I cannot even imagine the math involved.

Probably a bit like preparing for the Apollo 11 mission to the moon.

So I give them some slack.

Last edited:
one would think if you're Acura/Honda, one of the greatest and proudest automakers in the world, and you're resurrecting a 25 year old Supercar legend, that you'd want your super techno wonder, tour-de-force, mini Hypercar in as many press hands as soon as possible to show the world what you've created.

not the other way around... :confused:

one would think if you're Acura/Honda, one of the greatest and proudest automakers in the world, and you're resurrecting a 25 year old Supercar legend, that you'd want your super techno wonder, tour-de-force, mini Hypercar in as many press hands as soon as possible to show the world what you've created.

not the other way around... :confused:

Almost a complete lack of experience in the market sector? Watching the Japanese launch video, I couldn't help sense they were winging it along without much of of professional confidence about the type of car they were launching. Perhaps it would have been better handled if they had poached some key marketing and customer focus expertise from their seasoned competitors.

The Honda of today seems a very different organisation to that of its confident past of 25 years ago, and I don't feel the same 'purity' out of their current image. While the NSX sheet metal is honest (the ventilation grills serve totally functional purposes), the latest 10th Gen Civic Hatchback, while looking to my eye a quite a balanced silhouette, is by comparison a cartoon character car with it's huge faux NSX-sized grills that have absolutely no function, and only a smidgen in the upcoming Type R variant. Quite cynical design values if you ask me, and not particularly what we have come to expect from Honda.

I didn't watch the jdm delivery vid but you have to think , that the psychology of the car being built in the US had to have some affect.

that's my biggest dislike of the new NSX. Chevy would never build a Corvette in Mexico, and Ferrari or Lamborghini would never build their cars anywhere besides Italy. (although i do believe the new Ford GT is built in Canada?)...

I read every independent magazine test/comparo on the Zanardi NSX in 1999 before I decided to jump (50 total units mfg).

Acura had one on display in Monterey at NSXPO '99

Last edited:
A very interesting perspective on the NSX.
Quite a few different impressions depending on which magazine you read.

Read in conjunction with the raw numbers from the GTR comparison - and the fact that Probst was driving for that event, and being familiar with SH-AWD, what it reinforces to me is that the laws of physics cannot be ignored, hence when a pro driver extracts everything that the car can give, the NSX will be on a par or little better then it's competition. But, and it's a big but, when driven by the less gifted driver it will be a revelation to that driver at how fast a 4 wheeled conveyance can be, even one as heavy as the NSX.

The real achievement for Honda is that they have achieved this and still managed to have a car that is responsive and "alive" for the more gifted drivers, as attested by Chris Harris' Top Gear review. Of course this will mean nothing to the doomsayers.......

clearly, from the passenger seat this guy prefers the NSX for all but the sound. he was pretty excited.

shocking that a month old car is already at a used car dealership...

Isn't that the exotic car dealer business model?

get hold of what is hot (by whatever means) and serve s market that may not get much access to the product

Isn't that the exotic car dealer business model?

get hold of what is hot (by whatever means) and serve s market that may not get much access to the product

Yep, a bunch of dealerships were playing that game with the GT3RS and GT4. Buying it new from one dealership to try to sell it at a higher markup in a different markup. Risky way to do business but dealers make money that way.

Yep, a bunch of dealerships were playing that game with the GT3RS and GT4. Buying it new from one dealership to try to sell it at a higher markup in a different markup. Risky way to do business but dealers make money that way.
This is the reason why B&B, Jim, and countless others have not had their car delivered yet...

The real test of the premise for the car would be a comparo of the AMG GT-S, 911 turbo, R8, 570S, Huracan, 488 and NSX on the same day and same track where some shlub off the street driver (maybe a little better than that in skill) drove all of them.

My point is the design goal of the NSX is that some shlub can drive it and get great results right away.

It wold be fun to see how the shlub does driving such cars head to head.

Back