• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

reviews are out

It looked like you questioned why the R8+ did so well, so I noted the power in the tested car

sorry i posted 2 pictures of different lap times. the R8 does so well in one and in the other falls back almost 6 seconds to the NSX yet all the other cars match up like for like . thats what is confusing for me. I know v10 and v10 plus etc

Last edited:
sorry i posted 2 pictures of different lap times. the R8 does so well in one and in the other falls back almost 6 seconds to the NSX yet all the other cars match up like for like . thats what is confusing for me. I know v10 and v10 plus etc

as you said, the R8 typically falls about two seconds in front of the NSX, and in the mix with the Huracan, Ferrari and McLaren. and for some unknown reason in that test it was 6 seconds behind. i'd chalk that up to a highly unusual anomaly...

there's no reason for it to launch any harder, why would it? the torque peak is exactly where the launch control preset rpm is...

Well that is true that the torque peak starts at 2000 RPM where the launch starts but I think the engine RPM drops when the DCT engages pulling it out of peak torque. So there may be some benefit to launching at 3000 or 3500 RPM. The GT-R, I believe launches at 4000 RPM and beats the NSX to sixty despite more weight and less power.

Well that is true that the torque peak starts at 2000 RPM where the launch starts but I think the engine RPM drops when the DCT engages pulling it out of peak torque. So there may be some benefit to launching at 3000 or 3500 RPM. The GT-R, I believe launches at 4000 RPM and beats the NSX to sixty despite more weight and less power.

i would imagine with great certainty that rpm is added at the moment the clutch is dropped. pretty sure Acura has it sorted. if there was a benefit to a higher rpm launch, they would have figured it out during the 1000's of hours of testing and programmed the software accordingly...

i would imagine with great certainty that rpm is added at the moment the clutch is dropped. pretty sure Acura has it sorted. if there was a benefit to a higher rpm launch, they would have figured it out during the 1000's of hours of testing and programmed the software accordingly...

I think the benefit of the current setup might be longevity of the 9SPD.

most likely. the car could be quicker, but if it grenaded the transmission after 10 launches, well? it's always a compromise of many factors. and the way the NSX was released is the best it can be for now...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. this argument is the same for increasing power. changing one thing affects 100 others. if only it was so easy to do, then it would have already been done.

Road & Track "Performance Car of the Year (2017)" is out:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a31275/2017-performance-car-of-the-year/

Punchline:

Receiving eight of the available 10 votes, the Acura NSX became the most universally acclaimed automobile in PCOTY history, and justifiably so. Its predecessor merely changed the supercar game in the perpetuity by proving that anvil-like reliability and the ecstatic revelation of exotic performance could coexist in a single value-priced sports. This one promises to do much more than that.

For the first time in a hybrid automobile of any price or capability, technology has been placed firmly in the service of emotional involvement rather than in place of it. The hardware, of course, is first-rate and duly compliant with all possible requirements for environmental and social relevance, but the genius of the NSX is entirely human in nature. It was tireless development by human beings that made this very complicated and capable supercar dive for the apex with joy and bully its way to the corner exit with unfettered exuberance. Everything about the car—from the way in which the brake-by-wire pedal lengthens its travel when the brakes are hot to the manner in which the midmounted V6 permits itself a bit of the ol' barbaric yawp when it's winding out in fourth gear—is intended to enhance the driver's involvement.

most likely. the car could be quicker, but if it grenaded the transmission after 10 launches, well? it's always a compromise of many factors. and the way the NSX was released is the best it can be for now...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. this argument is the same for increasing power. changing one thing affects 100 others. if only it was so easy to do, then it would have already been done.

Agree that it is always about balancing compromises. But I think that part of the issue may be the 9spd in combination with Honda's commitment to lasting quality and reliability. I have heard some express concerns that the gears on the DCT have a reduced cross section to fit it all in vs. a 7spd. Not sure if that is true.

The dyno on the R&T article seems to indicate that the torque peak is more like 3000 RPM.

Chrisn, can you say whether the RPM's drop at all during launch?

- - - Updated - - -

Road & Track "Performance Car of the Year (2017)" is out:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a31275/2017-performance-car-of-the-year/

Punchline:

Receiving eight of the available 10 votes, the Acura NSX became the most universally acclaimed automobile in PCOTY history, and justifiably so. Its predecessor merely changed the supercar game in the perpetuity by proving that anvil-like reliability and the ecstatic revelation of exotic performance could coexist in a single value-priced sports. This one promises to do much more than that.

For the first time in a hybrid automobile of any price or capability, technology has been placed firmly in the service of emotional involvement rather than in place of it. The hardware, of course, is first-rate and duly compliant with all possible requirements for environmental and social relevance, but the genius of the NSX is entirely human in nature. It was tireless development by human beings that made this very complicated and capable supercar dive for the apex with joy and bully its way to the corner exit with unfettered exuberance. Everything about the car—from the way in which the brake-by-wire pedal lengthens its travel when the brakes are hot to the manner in which the midmounted V6 permits itself a bit of the ol' barbaric yawp when it's winding out in fourth gear—is intended to enhance the driver's involvement.

Track times beat the R8 V10 +.

And they pick it over the new Porsche 911 Turbo S overall. That's impressive.

"Receiving eight of the available 10 votes, the Acura NSX became the most universally acclaimed automobile in PCOTY history, and justifiably so. Its predecessor merely changed the supercar game in the perpetuity by proving that anvil-like reliability and the ecstatic revelation of exotic performance could coexist in a single value-priced sports. This one promises to do much more than that."

Not sure I can endorse this statement, but nice to see the new NSX doing well. ;)

Chrisn, can you say whether the RPM's drop at all during launch?

I've never tried launch control. Not my thing. I've tried in other cars and, on crappy un-prepped public roads, things can get sketchy pretty fast. I've mashed the throttle from a stop a couple of times and didn't notice any bogging after the initial spool up. Maybe I'll try out launch control for the sake of science.

- - - Updated - - -

Its predecessor merely changed the supercar game in the perpetuity by proving that anvil-like reliability and the ecstatic revelation of exotic performance could coexist in a single value-priced sports. This one promises to do much more than that."

Not sure I can endorse this statement

A bit hyperbolic, I agree. Perhaps a bit of a religious issue but if you, like I do, think the NSX's performance-hybrid drivetrain is the future of sports cars, then the NSX deserves special recognition as a pioneer regardless of failure to beat the best of the legacy platforms on a strictly-numbers basis. The NSX is "in the mix" with the fastest cars you can buy, and achieves that in a relatively unique and future-oriented way. What's not to love?

Last edited:
A bit hyperbolic, I agree. Perhaps a but of a religious issue but if you, like I do, think the NSX's performance-hybrid drivetrain is the future of sports cars, then the NSX deserves special recognition as a pioneer regardless of failure to beat the best of the legacy platforms on a strictly-numbers basis. The NSX is "in the mix" with the fastest cars you can buy, and achieves that in a relatively unique and future-oriented way. What's not to love?

I definitely agree, although the new NSX is not the first hybrid supercar, whereas the original NSX was, in my opinion at least, truly the first of its kind - an ergonomic, driver friendly, reliable supercar. The original caused the rest of the industry to up their game, whereas the new one's influence isn't quite so large.

On a relatively warm day and with a wide straight road ,.......ya gota give launch control a try:biggrin:

"Receiving eight of the available 10 votes, the Acura NSX became the most universally acclaimed automobile in PCOTY history, and justifiably so. Its predecessor merely changed the supercar game in the perpetuity by proving that anvil-like reliability and the ecstatic revelation of exotic performance could coexist in a single value-priced sports. This one promises to do much more than that."

Not sure I can endorse this statement, but nice to see the new NSX doing well. ;)

interesting indeed, especially considering how non-enamored with the NSX they were last month?

but a definite win for the NSX in this company. and this time faster than the R8 which they thought was too loose. top step of the magazine podium.

and the Porsche 911 Turbo S beating everything on shitty street tires, that's more than a little impressive. HotHonda will love to see this!

gotta say i'm seriously impressed with the Lotus. it garnered the best accolades and praise of this lot:

the Lotus is a thrill at any speed. It is the proper size and width for a sporting automobile, the deftly thrust rapier in an era that only knows the clumsy swing of a two-handed broadsword. The steering is untouchable in this company; the pedals are weighted to perfection. Feedback is absolute and millimeter-precise.
Without a doubt, the Lotus is the best pure driver's car in the group.

- - - Updated - - -

unfortunately no McLarens or Lambo's in this one...

My radar went off too about the loti...with two kids that car ticks a very special requirement..

i testdrove a regular Evora when they first came out, before i bought my '96 NSX. at that time it didn't feel all that special, with a weak 270 horsepower (that's funny isn't it?!) Toyota Camry engine powering it. but i've heard fantastic things about the 400 however. seen a few ripping through Malibu, they sound fantastic. and that line right there:

Without a doubt, the Lotus is the best pure driver's car in the group

tells me all i need to know...

p.s. and for you Doc, it has that (useless) back seat and it's half price.

- - - Updated - - -

They wrecked their 570S test car (no fault of the car):

well done...

Evora 400 seems to be a solid alternative to the GT4 (but unlikely to be cross-shopped versus the NSX). In that regard, it might be a more unique/special choice than the GT4 (especially if you don't like garish wings on street cars), but its just tough to bet against Porsche engineering in terms of reliability / durability.

What's really amazing is that 8 out of 10 votes went to the NSX. It must be really good as some of the competitors in the test are some top cars too.

I wonder how this test would've gone had the 570S not been wrecked?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back