• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIP- My Best Friend My Beloved Dog Moses

I am trying to not be sad for our loss and instead focus on what we gained. The love and affection of a once mistreated beloved member of our family. Those eyes, that face....

In short, we gained a lifetime of smiles, joy, loving memories and a bond that will never be lost or forgotten. It was a privilege to enjoy one of God’s most precious miracles – Moses.

There's almost nothing worse than the loss of a loyal furry family member. May 5th was 5 yrs for me and I still miss my best buddy. My heart goes out to you and your family. We are truly blessed to have them in our lives, it just seems so unfair they can't stay longer.

I am trying to not be sad for our loss and instead focus on what we gained. The love and affection of a once mistreated beloved member of our family. Those eyes, that face....

In short, we gained a lifetime of smiles, joy, loving memories and a bond that will never be lost or forgotten. It was a privilege to enjoy one of God’s most precious miracles – Moses.

So sorry for your loss. Our 2 dogs are also extremely close with us and our basically our kids as well. Losing pets can sometimes be extremely tough. :frown:

Sorry for your loss. Moses will always be a member of your pack and he is watching over you.

Last edited:
It always breaks my heart to hear the loss of a pet. As I always say, seek solace that they got to spend their time on earth in a loving home as many others aren't as fortunate.

I had to put my last one down and it ripped my guts out. That was over 15 years ago. Never got over her and can't seem to replace her. Man, I loved that dog. Memories will live forever :wink:.

Sorry to hear about your dog. They are truly a blessing and having to say goodby is one of the hardest things to do.

I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY by Janine Allen

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.

I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn’t be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn’t want her to know that I hadn’t been walked today. Sometimes the overworked shelter keepers get too busy and I didn’t want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn’t feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone’s life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.

I would promise to keep her safe.
I would promise to always be by her side.
I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven’t walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

my condolences on your loss ... there is nothing quite like the bond between humans and our animal companions.

Your posts VERY appreciated. Per your request a picture taken this morning of Moses. My wife shaved most of his hair off for the summer.
He is a Shetland Sheepdog.

Attachments

• moses.jpg
    moses.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 175
I'm sorry for your loss. Remember the good times as I'm sure Moses did.

My deepest sympathy for the loss of your friend.

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

Very sorry for your loss, just passed the 2 year mark since we lost our dog and I still have an emptiness in my heart.

Before owning a dog, I never would have felt the way dog owners do about their dogs. But once an owner, I can truly say that I feel your pain. I'm so sorry for your loss.

The Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I am so sorry for your loss Steven. As much as you have loved Moses, always remember, he was one of the lucky ones. It is one of the hardest things in life to forget. If you ever want to just talk about Moses on the forum, just post up and we will try are hardest to help heal the pain.

Hey buddy. I don't know you but that you loved a dog so much as to feel saddened enough to let a bunch of car guys know that you have lost a loved one says alot. Many have posted before me that it may take years to "get over" a loved one, and know that you certainly cannot replace Moses. Moses was Moses and that's all there is to that!

I expected to see pics of a dog of bigger or more "manly" stature for someone that affected your life so deeply, but it doesn't matter, does it? Moses was a big man with an even bigger heart stuffed inside a little body.

When my good friend's Dad died of cancer, his 4 lb "Cricket" died of heartache from his loss of his "daddy". This was a man who brought the K9 Unit to Memphis PD.

My beloved and legendary 16 year old Jack Russell "Coltrane" died 14 months ago. I spew tears, spit and snot anytime I feel like it over him, and that's ok. Just did, actually. He would tell me it was ok if he was here.

I have a feeling your Moses is in good hands. Sorry for the loss of your good friend.

Last edited:
a dog gives you its all, unconditionally...

Recall the memories, and your lil' friend will always be w/ you!
Before owning a dog, I never would have felt the way dog owners do about their dogs. But once an owner, I can truly say that I feel your pain. I'm so sorry for your loss.
QFT...

I understand your heart ache. The best dog of my life, Kyras, died on Dec. 7, 1999, from a rare fatal reaction to Rimadyl. It ripped my heart out. I was more heart broken over losing him than of my mom or dad's passings.

My sincere condolences to you Steve Allen. :frown:

I am sorry for your loss, it is heart braking. I just lost my best friend Misty (Siamese cat) @ 8.5 years old. She dies 4 weeks ago and I miss her so much. I have her 2 sisters still but Misty was my best friend. I can say time and only time will heal your heart. Think of the good times, look at those pictures and videos you have of him, this always brings a smile to my face.

So sorry to hear. Been there.

Just a reminder to give an extra scratch or two behind the ears while they're still with us.

We'll always have the happy memories.

Moses situation was probably not unique. We rescued him from a neighbor who never wanted him. The neighbor was given Moses to satisfy a debt and was told Moses was a show dog. The neighbor already had another dog he neglected. In fact, that dog was taken to a vet by one of our friends because he had an eye infection and this was being ignored by our neighbor.

The neighbor at first took Moses with him to job sites in the back of his truck.
However, Moses is scared of cars and trucks. Being in the back of the truck would have made him very nervous. So, then he tried taking him in the cab and locking him in there when he was on a job. Moses was scared there too.
While locked in the cab Moses started digging at the seats. Since this was not going well the neighbor started locking Moses in his garage 23 hours a day. That did not go well either as Moses destroyed several personal belongings while be bored to death. Moses loves people and activity.

Eventually, the neighbor would place Moses in the back of his truck and park it on the street. That is where we first met Moses. I told the neigbor that since I went on a 90 minute walk each day I could take Moses with me as a kindness for both the neighbor and Moses. However, the neighbor would need to let Moses out of the truck. Thus, he started to just let Moses roam the neighborhood.

Moses would go to the bus stop during the morning and play with all the children. He loved women and children. Children were more his size and they loved him back. We started walking together each day. Soon he stayed over after the walk. My wife owns a pet supply and grooming biz and would bring him treats and before long he did not want to leave.

Eventually the neighbor asked me if I wanted Moses and I readily agreed.
He was our for 11 years until yesterday. I have not been able to stop crying.

Back