• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIP- My Best Friend My Beloved Dog Moses

What a great story. My eyes just got blurry Steve. It's people like us who know what it means to have a pet as a family member.

May he rest in peace and chew on as many toys as he likes in doggie heaven. :tongue:

I've read stories like yours on here before, but never really said much, or anything at all. The only pet we have lost was a cockatiel we had for 18 years, and that was several years back. Now I really feel what those of you that have been through this before have felt. Our family pit bull that has been with us for the last 16 years is going thru some tough times. He has a tumor, and to top it off he is anemic. Doctors don't recommend surgery at his age, and lots of friends have said the same. After this, I don't know if I would personally have another dog. :frown:

We have tons of pics of him, but I wish I had video of him. I was in the military for the last 12 years, so I wasn't always here for him. He has lived a great life, that I can tell you.

RIP Moses

I would like to encourage all the members of this wonderful community to post
stories about your pet or a story you saw that helped/inspired you in some way.

Here is a Moses story - ALL 100% TRUE:

One night my wife and I are headed off to bed. As we get into bed Moses come in and stares at us. He never does this. My wife says maybe he has to
go to the bathroom. I try to get him to go outside he does not want to.
I tell him to go lay down. He will not. I tell my wife I will look around to see what has attention. I should say we live in a very large home with three floors. I turn on all the lights around the perimeter and see nothing. I then decide to go look in the basement area and see nothing. Lastly, I go upstairs
and then I hear it an unusual sound. A bedroom we keep locked all the time
has a sound coming from the inside. It turns out that a smoke detector has started chirping every minute or two. I placed a new battery in the alarm
and before I knew it Moses was on his bed asleep.

It was his way of telling us there is something wrong that you cannot hear and I can. it's annoying the hell out of me and I think you should do something that will stop the sound. Mind you, it's not Lassie saving a child in a burning building, but I think it is a remarkable story and it only one of many.
WHAT A DOG!!!!

after my family had to put to sleep our dog Max ( black lab )
I swore I would never have another dog cuz I get so attached to them.
I normally get 2 dogs every time

now I have 2 Shar Pei's Yoda and Boomer ( both girls and sisters from the same litter)

I love them to death but I know one day I will need to watch them close their eyes for the last time. it hurts

a Peice of you goes with them.

I think my childhood dogs were the best I will name them cuz it good to remember the good times

Bo-Bo terrier
Pepper sheepdog

Pouchee German Shepard
Digger Chow/German Shepard

Max black Lab

Kayla Shar pei/black lab
Simon Shar Pei/pitbull

Yoda Shar Pei
Boomer Shar Pei

I would like to encourage all the members of this wonderful community to post
stories about your pet or a story you saw that helped/inspired you in some way

I was hesitant to post because although I know Nico's time left with me most likely is short she is still doing "well" and I didn't feel it was appropriate to write about her while you are grieving. But since you asked, here we go.

By way of background:

http://www.amcny.org/about-amc/pet-stories/nicos-story

One "small" story now.

On Christmas eve 2002, my dad had a major brain hemorrhage and was not expected to survive. After 7 weeks in icu/rehab, we signed him out against medical advice when then they said he would never talk, read, write, walk again.

We brought him home and my mom and I rehabbed him on our own. Within a month he was talking and walking and beginning to read and write a little. However, he still had a serious brain injury affecting much of his life. That was now April 2003.

Fast forward to September 2003 and Nico was there to help him with his progress. He was aware on some level of his cognitive difficulties but was able to walk and talk as well as read and write to a certain extent. However, he still wanted to feel independent as he always had been.

He always watched his "granddog" while I was away and he had a routine where he would walk her in the neighborhood and then sit for a half hour or so on the benches outside of their apartment complex. Always the same route.

In september, my parents were watching Nico and my dad wanted to go for his walk so we let him go out with Nico, keeping an eye on them from afar. Nico brought him on his usual route including sitting on "his" bench with him. After about a half hour she began to scratch his hand as a signal it was time to go home. She led him back to the right apartment building and then to their apartment.

She would continue to do that on their visits until his condition worsened and he could no longer walk unassisted. She would then sit in his lap while he was in a wheelchair or lie next to him in his bed.

Now that Nico is approaching 17, she remains insulin dependent and is deaf and blind but I now see for her. She still walks outside with me, without a leash, and seems to know where everything is after 17 years of "our routine". I have taken a photo of her every day for over two years now.

Here she is this past weekend, in "her" solarium and in the town park "watching" the ducks in the pond as we have done every spring/summer for 17 years now.

i-55vB88V-XL.jpg

i-znjkszj-XL.jpg

<object id="vp1PZLL4" width="432" height="240" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://static.animoto.com/swf/w.swf?w=swf/vp1&e=1337259877&f=PZLL40aoiY1psXh7w1NnRg&d=201&m=p&r=240p+480p&volume=100&start_res=480p&i=m&ct=&cu=&options="></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed id="vp1PZLL4" src="http://static.animoto.com/swf/w.swf?w=swf/vp1&e=1337259877&f=PZLL40aoiY1psXh7w1NnRg&d=201&m=p&r=240p+480p&volume=100&start_res=480p&i=m&ct=&cu=&options=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="432" height="240"></embed></object>

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. Very heart warming story that blurred my eyes as well. I was never a big fan of dogs until I got one. I don't even want to think about losing him.

Im very sorry to hear of your loss. Like someone else said, sometimes losing a pet is almost as hard, if not harder than losing a person. They always have an unconditional love, and are never judgemental.

I was hesitant to post because although I know Nico's time left with me most likely is short she is still doing "well" and I didn't feel it was appropriate to write about her while you are grieving. But since you asked, here we go.

By way of background:

http://www.amcny.org/about-amc/pet-stories/nicos-story

One "small" story now.

On Christmas eve 2002, my dad had a major brain hemorrhage and was not expected to survive. After 7 weeks in icu/rehab, we signed him out against medical advice when then they said he would never talk, read, write, walk again.

We brought him home and my mom and I rehabbed him on our own. Within a month he was talking and walking and beginning to read and write a little. However, he still had a serious brain injury affecting much of his life. That was now April 2003.

Fast forward to September 2003 and Nico was there to help him with his progress. He was aware on some level of his cognitive difficulties but was able to walk and talk as well as read and write to a certain extent. However, he still wanted to feel independent as he always had been.

He always watched his "granddog" while I was away and he had a routine where he would walk her in the neighborhood and then sit for a half hour or so on the benches outside of their apartment complex. Always the same route.

In september, my parents were watching Nico and my dad wanted to go for his walk so we let him go out with Nico, keeping an eye on them from afar. Nico brought him on his usual route including sitting on "his" bench with him. After about a half hour she began to scratch his hand as a signal it was time to go home. She led him back to the right apartment building and then to their apartment.

She would continue to do that on their visits until his condition worsened and he could no longer walk unassisted. She would then sit in his lap while he was in a wheelchair or lie next to him in his bed.

Now that Nico is approaching 17, she remains insulin dependent and is deaf and blind but I now see for her. She still walks outside with me, without a leash, and seems to know where everything is after 17 years of "our routine". I have taken a photo of her every day for over two years now.

Here she is this past weekend, in "her" solarium and in the town park "watching" the ducks in the pond as we have done every spring/summer for 17 years now.

i-55vB88V-XL.jpg

i-znjkszj-XL.jpg

<object id="vp1PZLL4" width="432" height="240" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://static.animoto.com/swf/w.swf?w=swf/vp1&e=1337259877&f=PZLL40aoiY1psXh7w1NnRg&d=201&m=p&r=240p+480p&volume=100&start_res=480p&i=m&ct=&cu=&options="></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed id="vp1PZLL4" src="http://static.animoto.com/swf/w.swf?w=swf/vp1&e=1337259877&f=PZLL40aoiY1psXh7w1NnRg&d=201&m=p&r=240p+480p&volume=100&start_res=480p&i=m&ct=&cu=&options=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="432" height="240"></embed></object>

A beautiful dog and just the kind of story I was hoping to see.

I'm so sorry for your loss!! May his soul Rest In Peace!

Our Vizsla - Enzo is 13 years old and it is painful to watch him literally waste away in front your eyes. But he is our 1st born... So I keep him on Meds and hope that goes peacefully in his sleep:frown:

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. My wife and I have to schedule to put one of our pups down in the next couple of weeks. Incidentally, she is also my very first dog ever and the first pup my wife and I got when we were engaged back in 2003. I am not doing so well knowing it is coming soon. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few months ago and we've reached a point where it has to be done for her benefit. Kai is only 8 years old now. As a dachshund, she should only be at the halfway point in her life. We have 4 other pups as well and I fear that all of us as a family will grieve. God bless in your families time of sadness and always remember the good times you had together. You'll meet again one day.

J.R.

I feel for you Steve. I love animals; people are the worst. I have two miniature dachshunds and they are my pride and joy. I hate to leave for work knowing they are going to be home alone.

When the time is right I am sure you will rescue another deserving soul who will reward you with years of love and loyalty.

Since you asked Steven, I started to type something about Clay and I found it much to hard to put words together. He has been gone from us one year now and there is not a single day that goes by that I don't think of him. I miss him soooo much. I feel for you.

Elwood, my first Bloodhound. Buster, my second, died last year.

Big Elwood w quote.jpg

Sorry seems so empty.I to had to put my best friend and companion down after 12 and a half years.I miss him every single day and still hug every boxer i see.Dont know if i could ever have another one as i still carry to much of him with me.Make every day count and tomorrow is promised to noone.Take care.

Sorry for your loss, Steve. I put down my cat, Utah in August who was 18. Ripped my heart out. I still miss him. The only solace I found was getting a puppy. She has helped with the healing process. I know it's hard know but it will get better.

Thanks to all of you for your heart felt thoughts. It was and is very comforting.
For those who have shared your stories I want to thank you as well.

Back