• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIP Neil Armstrong

I met him several times as he lived here in Cincinnati and traveled on my airline often. Once, I sat next to him in 1st on a flight dead heading.

He was a total prick and I know that I'm not the only who thought this. My AME (Dr) worked with him at U of C and told me that he was forced out because no one wanted to work with him. Contrast that to Buzz Aldrin who everyone seems to love. :wink:

I met him several times as he lived here in Cincinnati and traveled on my airline often. Once, I sat next to him in 1st on a flight dead heading.

He was a total prick and I know that I'm not the only who thought this. My AME (Dr) worked with him at U of C and told me that he was forced out because no one wanted to work with him. Contrast that to Buzz Aldrin who everyone seems to love. :wink:

Wow interesting Jim... Kinda dissppointing to know the first man on the moon was not so cool as a person.

But then maybe he just didnt like you. Like many of us here... :D

Nobody knows what kind of man Columbus was as he was happy to involve himself in the slave trade. However, both men earned a place in history.

it's not that he was arrogant, actually the opposite. he didn't want to have anything to do with the "moon" or his place in history. If you talked about golf, or aerodynamics he was ok. But if you even mentioned NASA, flying Navy jets or God forbid Apollo he would.shut you down very quickly.

it's not that he was arrogant, actually the opposite. he didn't want to have anything to do with the "moon" or his place in history. If you talked about golf, or aerodynamics he was ok. But if you even mentioned NASA, flying Navy jets or God forbid Apollo he would.shut you down very quickly.

I suppose he had a good reason for doing so:wink:.

Maybe because he never actually went there. ;)

Maybe because he never actually went there. ;)

Hahaha.. dude you had me rolling on the floor ;-)

BEST interview with Buzz Aldrin EVER. I love the part where he asks "So what do you say to all the conspiracy theorists..." The way he pauses before he answers is golden! :)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hTKedyQQkZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I have met my share of the 'rich and famous'. Armstrong was more iconic then that. He was in the same company as Magellan, Columbus and Marco Polo.
By going where no person had ever gone and exploring a new land he lands in the pantheon, whether he wanted to or not, of history's great explorers.

Now whether he ever wanted to talk about it for the ten millionth time to some schmuck who wanted to ask him the same questions over-and-over again. Well, that may have been his cross to bear and he just did not want to bear it further?

He was a professional at what he did for sure. Had it not been for his calm nature that capsule would have crash landed on the moon. That was manual piloting. Old school NSX style not new school GTR style. :D

I wonder if he didnt like talking about it becasue of possible PTSD issues. I imagine the stress on him was huge.

After seeing some of the comments...I MAY be glad I didn't meet one of my "HEROS".

I understand that Charles Lindberg gave him some advise about fame (after the Lindberg kidnapping).

RIP. They should launch his body or ashes into space. I think that would be fitting.

He's a true pioneer, with balls bigger than the shuttle itself.

500 years from now, what will history have to say about our era, and whose name will they mention? Whether he was lovable or not, they’ll mention this man; all politics and social problems will blur in with the rest of human history and be of no interest to anyone but dedicated scholars. But even if we go to Mars, or plant a flag on Io, leave the solar system and somehow stroll on planets circling other stars, there will only be one person who was the first to walk upon a celestial body other than Earth.
As a practical matter, I’d suggest collecting his signature, if you can find one. It can only increase in value amongst collectors.

500 years from now, what will history have to say about our era, and whose name will they mention? Whether he was lovable or not, they’ll mention this man; all politics and social problems will blur in with the rest of human history and be of no interest to anyone but dedicated scholars. But even if we go to Mars, or plant a flag on Io, leave the solar system and somehow stroll on planets circling other stars, there will only be one person who was the first to walk upon a celestial body other than Earth.
As a practical matter, I’d suggest collecting his signature, if you can find one. It can only increase in value amongst collectors.

Well said sir - well said.

My Dr who worked at U of Cincinnati with him has a framed letter on his wall from him that is typed out (manual typewriter) with no signature just his typed name on his UofC stationary. I can't remember the exact wording but in essence it said he "doesn't do signatures or autographs" because he doesn't want to leave any artificial memorabilia behind.

This is about as close as you will get to an autograph.... plus it's dated July 16, 1969 which is the day they left.

Neil-Armstron.jpg

Last edited:
A thin link to this thread.
Neil Armstrong was a Naval Aviator and "civilian" astronaut...so is (former) NSX owner Walt Cunningham (Navy/Marine Aviator and civilian astronaut).

A thin link to this thread.
Neil Armstrong was a Naval Aviator and "civilian" astronaut...so is (former) NSX owner Walt Cunningham (Navy/Marine Aviator and civilian astronaut).

To take it one more step...

I also own an NSX and once saw the movie "Space Camp."

:biggrin: :tongue:

I guess I can see not wanting to answer the same questions over and over again all your life. That's the price you pay when you are a celebrity. RIP to a legend.

Chris

Back