• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rising fuel cost: How will this affect the way the NSX is driven

This question I guess is directed at the daily drivers of the NSX...Do you guys hesitate to floor the gas pedal, or more cautious on how you drive to save gas? I'm just curious because gas is certainly not getting cheaper, and the NSX doesn't give the best fuel mileage (17/24).....And do you think Acura should create a hybrid NSX that could achieve 350hp, and still give civic like fuel efficiency and burn cleaner?

I took a Environmental Biology class, and it made think about these things....

drive less miles, but make them count
biggrin.gif

(mileage at upper end of VTEC isn't great, but its worth it)

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750

Im thinking I might have to drive my NSX MORE!!, It gets better mileage than any of my other cars!!

Steve
91 NSX 13K miles
95 ///M3 25K miles
01 A4 Avant 1.8t (wifeys wagon)

PS, check out that cool car in the background of NSX1164's Avatar!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by SJJ28 (edited 23 May 2001).]

The least of my worries.

No, I'm not wealthy, but what are the options, public transportation? Been there, done that, in SE Asia for a few years. Besides, I can't drive it hard enough or far enough to add up to much, even compared to an econo-box. Do the math.

Yes, do the math. Let's say no one's driving habits change. Let's say that gas goes up $1 per gallon (hasn't gone up that much yet). The majority (not all, but most) of NSX owners drive their cars fewer than 10,000 miles per year. That's roughly 500 gallons per year. So for all but the few high-mileage owners, you're talking a difference of much less than $500 per year - not a huge amount for an owner of a car worth $30-80K.

Or, to put it another way: I'm driving my NSX at the track for four days this weekend.
biggrin.gif

Actually I am driving the car more often than ever. If I am going to spend more money on gas, I'd rather drive something I enjoy. I have to drive it hard as the car doesn't sound good below 3k rpms with the cat bypass pipes.

I get 10 mpg in the NSX at the track.

I get 16-19 mpg in the NSX normal day to day driving, which is inherently spirited, I just cant help it...

I get 13 mpg in my range rover normal day to day driving.

I have much more fun in the NSX vs. the rover, and I am doing my part to "conserve" (ha, ha). I think I will drive the NSX more as fuel costs rise.

I agree with nsxtasy, I have no hesitation to do track events. the NSX on the track is cheaper than going to the amusement park and riding roller coasters!

I haven't changed my driving habits one iota due to the rising gas prices. Out here in California we're up to $2.30/gallon for 92.

Even at $2.30, gas is historically cheap, adjusted for inflation (and taxes).

-Bob ('94 #496)

Since the NSX is my daily driver, I don't have much of a choice. And since I only averaged 16mpg over my first year of ownership (most of which was with conscious effort to keep the car under 3K RPM during my commute), I've decided that I can't really do anything that will help ease the pain caused by the higher price of gasoline.

I'll complain about the gas hikes 'til I'm blue in the face, but I'll never complain about driving my NSX
tongue.gif

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 24 May 2001).]

Not long ago, a relative sent me an article requesting I respond showing my dis-like for the increase in fuel prices. As we all know, big corporations have the upper hand and there is little we can do to prevent the increase (aside from a 1-6 week boycott or something along that line)in gas prices. My initial response was: "buy an NSX and you will not care how much the price of gasoline cost's.

97-T @ 16K

I agree that the price of gas won't stop us from driving. But what about availability? At some point in time, gas will be harder and harder to get, regardless of price. Has there been any research on alternative fuels run in the NSX? What would it take to convert
from gasoline to, say, natural gas? Obviously there would be performance issues, but a little less performance would be preferable to not driving at all. Has anyone else ever thought about this?

Pressurized natural gas powered NSX... its possible, just look at the new dodge charger... it has pressurized natural gas... and it's making lots of power.. not sure if it's going to make it into production tho...

Too bad we cant get all that much power out of a hydro-fuel cell... great for a commuter car, but as far as performance, its questionable.

Originally posted by NSXdreamer:
This question I guess is directed at the daily drivers of the NSX...Do you guys hesitate to floor the gas pedal, or more cautious on how you drive to save gas?

Well, I bought it to floor it. Holding back would negate my reason for owning such a car. I will bitch about the cost of gas when filling up, but then its business as usual the instant I leave the gas station.

Hey, petrol is $4.23/US gallon over here (about 80p/litre) and it doesn't have much of an effect on how much people drive. Petrol is, IMHO, criminally cheap in the USA - it should be taxed to reflect the damage it does to the environment - but this tax money should go into public transport, and not just into general government spending on anything that will get them re-elected.

Public transport is still a joke unless your commute is specifically catered for (eg, I live 15 minutes walk from Cambridge railway station - the train then takes 50 minutes to London. There's no way I could get there quicker by car, the traffic is too bad. This was great when I was working in London, but no use other times!)

They did some studies and worked out petrol would have to be about $8/gallon (in the uk) to actually stop people from using their cars. It's not the cost of the fuel, or the profits made on it, in the UK $3 of every $4 we spend on petrol is tax.

Hugo

Wow 80P/liter! We are complaining about paying .89$ CDN/liter for premium petrol.
Actually it is 88.9 cents/liter but where you can find a .1 cent CDN coin is beyond me.
Talk about worthless.
It wouldn't be so bad if the tax money went to road repair but it all goes to general revenue and then we wonder why so few Americans want to vacation here.
I have pretty much parked for the long term.

Back