• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIV - My experience with Importing + DRL's

Just got a 91 from Florida. I posted some questions about DRL's for passing the federal inspection here in Ontario.

There always seems to be some confusion when importing a vehicle, everyone that I spoke to seems to have a different story, either regarding the actual importing process or DRL's. Here is what happened to me so far....

I DID NOT fax the title, bill of sale or recall letter 72 hours in advance. I did it withing 48 hours of reaching the Queenston boarder, and I didn't even stop at the American side to check in to get that "approval stamp" on the ownership. I went directly to the Canadian side boarder and told them that I just bought this car. The lady then asked me were was the stamp from the US on the ownership...I said I didn't get it ( it was fairly late 3 am) the offices for Exporting on the US side closes at 4pm. The Canadian Customs agent then said "ok" but she advised me that if I ever bring the NSX back into the US and for some reason get stopped by the police and IF and only IF they run my VIN, not just my plate...and discover that I never offically declared my vehicle for export I COULD be fined $500. That was it!! Very painless. I was told and read that you can only cross at certain boarders as well, Queenston being one of them......NOT TRUE, you can cross at any ( confirmed with a friend who is a Customs agent).

I just got off the phone with a RIV agent, and was advised that because my 91 is older then 15 years, I am exempt from the RIV process, therefore I do not need a Federal Inspection or pay the $195 fee. I asked him twice, and he said yes I was exempt. There are two boxes on my FORM 1 sheet that I got at the boarder that was stamped by an agent declaring my vehicle EXEMPT from the Registrar Of Imported Vehicles Program. All he said I needed to do was bring it in to ANY ( not just a Canadian Tire) shop to get it CERT and E-tested. I have not done so yet, but will after the long weekend. I will keep you posted.

Congrats!

Do you hit on 20?

Now, onto more important things....

Pics or Ban!!!

That's right. 91 doesn't need a Federal Inspection (RIV). What province are you in? For BC, there are plenty of other places that will do the inpsection other than Canadian Tire. I've heard stories about Canadian Tire not giving you a pass until you get stuff fixed etc and they encourage you to get it fixed right then and their with their up the ass labour rates and monkey mechanics.

Thats good to know :)

I'll remember to look for a 91-94 for the 15 year rule!

The 15 year rule is what I thought as well. Congrats on the import. A little daring to be skipping a few steps on documentation and process. Nevertheless.

Pics!!?

Remember that it's 15 years from the date of manufacture - not from the model year of the car. When I brought my 1993 NSX in from the US back in May 2007 I knew that I would have to go through the RIV. However, when I got my car to the border they looked at the build date and my car was built in June 1992. If I had bought the car 2 weeks later than I did I wouldn't have had to go through the RIV process even though the car was a 1993 model.

Why the hell to people always try to cut corners. The 72 hour rule is simple and can easily be supported. Not stopping for a few minutes at the US side is just as easy. It's all about ensuring that the car you have purchased isn't wanted for anything you may not know about. Jesus, why would you take a chance like that with all the stolen vehicles these days.:rolleyes:

To Bigglezworth

I did not wish to cut any corners. However, after a 14 hour drive I did not wish to wait till 7 am when the US Customs Export office opens. I would have had to wait an additional 5 hours that night. I then decided to cross anyways on the advice of my Canadian Customs Agent friend..... the worst thing that could happen is that they turn me around, not a big deal. I did fax them all the req. info, the lady at the Canadian Customs said that should be enough. The main point of the fax is to let the US side know that they are losing an NSX to Canada. Their lost, our gain :)

Car is not stolen, or have any pending liens. This was checked before I bought the car.

Car is getting Cert and E-tested tomorrow.

Back