• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.
Hello, I have a question about the na1 Nsx I’m thinking about importing an auto from Japan mainly cause there cheaper and I don’t really plan on driving on a track. Was wondering if it’s possible to swap the stock auto out for a higher gear auto that can take more power.

How much custom fabrication are you up for? I expect that the bigger question is finding any non NSX automatic transmission / transaxle that is going to fit is the problem. If power handling is the issue, I think www.levelten.com claimed that they had modifications which would increase the power handling capability of the existing NSX auto box. You might want to check out what they can do for you versus trying to bodge some non NSX box into the car.

I expect that the cost of a well done retrofit of some non NSX automatic transaxle will eliminate any cost savings associated with importing a car from Japan. The cost of the Level 10 upgrade may also eliminate that saving.

Oh nice I didn’t know they upgraded the stock auto trans. I do want to add a supercharger at least so this is good to know. Thanks

Hello, I have a question about the na1 Nsx I’m thinking about importing an auto from Japan mainly cause there cheaper and I don’t really plan on driving on a track. Was wondering if it’s possible to swap the stock auto out for a higher gear auto that can take more power.
There is one guy @Big McLargeHuge who did a manual swap on his 1990 JDM auto and documented it here. https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/big-mclargehuge’s-1990-jdm-nsx-adventure-thread.212895/

As expected, problem was hunting down all the RHD specific parts needed, as the actual transmission can be used from a LHD USDM. Also things like the tach since the auto version has he gears showing in it. And he just got his hands on a set of manual cams, so will take apart his engine to install those. (the auto used different cams). I have a 93 JDM auto and would love to manual swap mine one day but not sure it's worth it compared to buying a factory manual car at Japanese auction.

Oh nice I didn’t know they upgraded the stock auto trans. I do want to add a supercharger at least so this is good to know. Thanks
Contact Pat at Level 10 and he can explain their service. They beef up the AT to make it essentially bulletproof. They use a stronger torque converter and stronger clutch packs. It's specifically designed to work with high-torque applications like the supercharger. You ship him your AT and he ships you back a fully upgraded and refurbished unit.

The NSX AT is surprisingly good and fun.

For no good reason I did an AT->MT swap a few years ago it cost $10k-$15K and parts were easy to get. And I shipped in parts from JP, EU, UK, US, and AU.

Parts are now hard to get, so I expect close to +$25k now. WhrdNSX is developing rhd pedal sets...very nice.

Last edited:
The NSX AT is surprisingly good and fun.

For no good reason I did an AT->MT swap a few years ago it cost $10k-$15K and parts were easy to get. And I shipped in parts from JP, EU, UK, US, and AU.

Parts are hard to get, so I expect close to +$25k now. WhrdNSX is developing rhd pedal sets...very nice.

I also just swapped in a Mine's Racing ECU for JDM NSX AT and it's made the throttle much more responsive. Changes the timing. Engine revs higher and stays in gear longer before shifting when you mash the pedal. Also removes the speed limiter although that won't come into play for most of us. I do have to add Octanium since the ECU is designed for 100 RON Octane fuel which is equivalent to about 95.5 AKI octane here in the US. So this was my cheap (if you can call a $1200 ECU as "cheap") short-term alternative to a full MT swap.

Back