• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RM Exhaust Yes / No

Gentlemen:

I am 59 and have saved since 1991 to own an NSX. She is a very car.

I am considering a USED RM quad-tip exhaust. I have read all the listing on Prime and still can not pull the plug. My budget is extremely lean.

1. My concern is if the unit has cracks it will cost as much to fit as the the system itself.
2. I am not a young man like most of you and wondering if it will be too load to listen to music or hear myself think, that is rare anyway.
3. Cost to have it installed?

The exhaust I really wanted / want and thought I had purchased a few months ago is an RS-R quad tip.

So if anyone out there in NSX land has one please get in touch it could not go to a better home.

Thank you all for your opinion.

Many years ago I bought an RM exhaust brand new

Too loud for my quiet neighborhood

I came with a life-time warranty. I sent it back to RM, had it fully rebuilt and sold it.

Got a Ark quad tip and like it a lot

See if you can find the original owner of that RM exhaust and see if they will send it back to RM for a free re-condition if that is what you really want.

I dont think the waranty is transferable.

good luck

the dtm rm ehaust has a very characteristic raspy almost barking sound,some love it ,others don't.

I have the RM quad tip exhaust with headers and really like it. RM Racing is no longer in business and I can't source them anywhere - I've tried. It's a stainless unit and has been on the car over 40K miles with no problems. It is not nearly as loud as some of the exhausts I've heard, but much louder than OEM. The sound is throaty - not raspy. In 5th gear it quiets down so highway driving is nice and quiet. But hit VTEC and you're turning heads. All I can say is that at the track, everyone loves it, and in daily driving it turns heads during acceleration. If your driving is subdued so will the sound be.

I have the RM quad tip exhaust with headers and really like it. RM Racing is no longer in business and I can't source them anywhere - I've tried. It's a stainless unit and has been on the car over 40K miles with no problems. It is not nearly as loud as some of the exhausts I've heard, but much louder than OEM. The sound is throaty - not raspy. In 5th gear it quiets down so highway driving is nice and quiet. But hit VTEC and you're turning heads. All I can say is that at the track, everyone loves it, and in daily driving it turns heads during acceleration. If your driving is subdued so will the sound be.
You also just described my RS-R. They must be simuliar in design.

I've had the oval tip RM for over 10 years and 70K+ miles and it looks and sounds as good as the day I got it. I too have heard all the others, and other than stock, like mine the best. No drone, no rasp, louder, but not arrestingly so - very good all around. Things don't get really loud or raspy until you take out your cats, then all bets are off!

Funny one - I did a couple 8K blasts down the highway in front of my brother's big block Ford, and when we got to where we were going I asked him how it sounded at the top end - he said 'Like angry Bees...'

One option that is off the table for you (due to cost) - the ARC Titanium. It is louder and raspier at high rpm, but below VTEC its almost as calm and quiet as stock, and weighs like a potato chip.

I have the quad tip RM exhaust (with headers) and love it. I also happen to be 59 myself .. with a '91 .. but in the camp that likes a throatier exhaust which is why I put it on in the first place. I also documented the sound both inside at cruising speeds and outside behind the car and accelerating away. Check this link and others that I posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCB6uFwXFSo

I will say that it drones a bit at around 2k RPM but is quieter at crusing. It is definitely louder but you won't scare the neighbours or set off alarms. However, I did have my car on the dyno at NSXPO in Vegas and I was really surprised at how loud it is at WOT and 8k RPM when you're 15 ft away .. but you're never going to be in that situation.

Although RM Racing is out of business, I got mine new from Billy Boat (B&B) about 7-8 years ago and it's been fine for probably 60k miles. I also installed it myself .. not terribly difficult for the average handy man.

I have the RM quad tip exhaust with headers and really like it. RM Racing is no longer in business and I can't source them anywhere - I've tried.
RM headers and exhaust were simply B&B units sold by RM Racing. I'm pretty sure they are still available (I've never seen round tips like the picture there, just oval and quad).

RM racing exhaust and headers were on my car for 10 years (9 with supercharger). I took off the exhaust a few years ago (RM/B&B headers are still on and I'm still supercharged). With it louder than when I bought it, partially due to a couple holes from corrosion around the ends of the muffler, I was tiring of the drone. Didn't help that I have aftermarket R&P (with 4.55 in I want to say my aging memory recalls the drone was in the range of 78MPH in 5th, and went away if slower/faster - with stock R&P the drone would be at a slower speed). I put the stock exhaust back on (still have the RM/B&B headers and am supercharged) and am happy with that. Minus the drone, the RM/B&B sounds great as others have said.

Interestingly, while most exhaust companies have limited corrosion warranties, B&B has an unlimited corrosion warranty (2-years on other workmanship/materials). I spoke with them when I pulled it off and they said if I shipped it back they'd fix and refurbish it (I assume entirely new unit or new muffler on the current pipes after cleaning them up)...but I haven't done that yet. If you're interested in mine, email me. I can do some shipping calculations (to/from B&B, to you) and we can work out a price.

Last edited:
had two of the RM and loved it. If you like to listen to music, get something esle. It would be too loud for your comfort. I liked it loud, thus the reason of having had it :)

This description nails it, we've had the RM quad-tip muffler (with late stock NSX headers and stock cats) on our '92 for a couple years now and it's far from raspy.....a very nice throaty growl when you're into the throttle and sublime when you're not.

Brian

had two of the RM and loved it. If you like to listen to music, get something esle. It would be too loud for your comfort. I liked it loud, thus the reason of having had it :)

+1 I have a set of RM DTM style on my ride. It's been on there for about 40K miles give or take. No issues, but like pooh says you can forget the music. Good thing my radio is kaput. The RM's are the reason I never got it fixed lol.:tongue:

I would venture to say the HKS exhaust falls loosely in this category of WOT aggressive but street quiet exhaust.

I have the RM quad tip on my NSX and I love it. The sound is deep at speed and howling at WOT. I get looks and compliments all the time. There is a drone from 2000-2500 rpm, but above that the exhaust is very quiet unless you step on it.

You can get this exhaust new from Billy Boat, but they no longer sell the DTM quad tips. Only the oval version is available.

Had mine for about 10 years and put 170,000 miles on it before this happened (see attached). So, yea, I feel like I got my moneys worth; and I did love the sound, which seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing.

Notice the crack that developed and carried all the way across the muffler, and also the pretty big hole that was the result of the cracking. At the end of its life the exhaust sounded like 1,000,000,000 wasps were buzzing around inside of it.

Attachments

• RM1.jpg
    RM1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 103
  • RM2.jpg
    RM2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 94
^^^ At 170,000 miles, you got your money's worth for sure!

Thanks for posting that,
Brian

Back