• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road Trip - CA to MA in a classic BMW

My wife told me this past winter that she'd like to take another cross-country "road trip" this summer... as we have a couple of times over the past 10 years, e.g., MA-AZ-MA (in '98) and MA-CO-MA (in '02). I love a good road trip, but the thought of both the "out" and then "back" to the West had me quite reluctant.

Then I saw a great old semi-classic BMW, an '87 535is, for sale in CA (from another Forum I frequent) and got the idea that if I bought it, then we could fly to SF and drive back to MA... just one way!!. So, that what I did in April... bought the car! My wife was delighted when I surprised her with this news and my plan.

I bought it sight unseen, but knew of it from years on the Forum that I mentioned, and it had great references from a couple guys I know in the Bay area who have seen and worked on the car. Plus, I had it delivered to another friend who has a shop in San Rafael, CA to check it out, get it ready for the planned 3800 mile zig-zag journey home, and store it until we get out there to start the drive back.

We fly to SF this next Wednesday and head East... plan to be back in MA on July 2nd. We'll stop and see some friends and family along the way, as well as visit some great sites in the West. Should be a memorable trip!!! Here's a couple of pictures of this BMW 535is

-Wick

nv4.jpg

nv3.jpg

nv7.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

You what I'd call a risktaker! Taking a 20 year old BMW cross country is just plain nuts. That car is immaculate, looks like someone loved that baby. My 98 M3 would leave me stranded everywhere. I wouldnt want to take that thing out of state, none the less cross country.:wink:

Back