• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Roof Painting??? what is a reasonable price?

I need to get the roof re-sprayed on the sebring silver I just picked up..The silver is in awesome shape, but the top of the roof(black) is fading..How much should it cost to have done...I got one estimate for $660 and thought that was a little high...anybody have their roof re-sprayed and what did it cost???

I just had mine done. I have a '91 Red with a black top. I paid $1200 to do mine but I had the side pillars and door handles also done + the front window molding replaced (they shrink over time). I had two estimates for about the same amount. $600 sounds low.

My car had the clear-coat separating from the base paint. It looked like it was turning grey in big splotches. I heard that the early 90's paint has a problem with the clear-coat not sticking to the base paint - it's especially bad with black. Now it looks great.

mc-ca said:
I just had mine done. I have a '91 Red with a black top. I paid $1200 to do mine but I had the side pillars and door handles also done + the front window molding replaced (they shrink over time). I had two estimates for about the same amount. $600 sounds low.

My car had the clear-coat separating from the base paint. It looked like it was turning grey in big splotches. I heard that the early 90's paint has a problem with the clear-coat not sticking to the base paint - it's especially bad with black. Now it looks great.

WOW:eek: The $660 i was quoted included the pilars and all...This is the Acura recomended shop here in Temecula...The other quote I got was from the South Coast Acura recomended shop and they quoted me over the phone at $540...Guess $500-$600 isn't so bad:redface:

Look for these operations on your estimate.
They need to be done to get factory-like results.

1) The side pillar garnishes.Are they being removed, painted and re-installed?
(This would necessitate the R&I of both the interior trim panels)

2) The rear window/hatch, is it being removed and that inner area painted and then re-installed?

3) Are the front pillar garnishes being removed painted and re-installed?

4) Is the front windshield moulding being removed and installed?

5) Are the roof weatherstrips being removed and installed?

6) Will it be wet sanded/ buffed and cleaned up to remove any and all compound and sanding sludge ?

7) Will all chips and minor imperfections be repaired?

Squeezing the trigger on the paint gun is the easy part. The price is in the prep and after paint details.
Assume that if a operation is not written on the estimate that it is not being performed.

pbassjo said:
Look for these operations on your estimate.
They need to be done to get factory-like results.

1) The side pillar garnishes.Are they being removed, painted and re-installed?
(This would necessitate the R&I of both the interior trim panels)

2) The rear window/hatch, is it being removed and that inner area painted and then re-installed?

3) Are the front pillar garnishes being removed painted and re-installed?

4) Is the front windshield moulding being removed and installed?

5) Are the roof weatherstrips being removed and installed?

6) Will it be wet sanded/ buffed and cleaned up to remove any and all compound and sanding sludge ?

7) Will all chips and minor imperfections be repaired?

Squeezing the trigger on the paint gun is the easy part. The price is in the prep and after paint details.
Assume that if a operation is not written on the estimate that it is not being performed.

Thanks for the insight...so what is a reasonable price for all of the above???:biggrin:

91 X said:
Thanks for the insight...so what is a reasonable price for all of the above???:biggrin:

That's how you get to $1200. The labor to disassemble and reassemble is a big part of the cost. It also should take about a week to do the job.

I just (self) completed painting mine ('93 red/blk). The expense is in the disassembly/ assembly tasks. It does make what appears to be a messy interior but once all back together it looks great. The paint (base/clear) cost me about $160 plus about $ 30 in sanding/polishing materials. The painting went quickly but the disassembly/assembly of the pieces for painting and replacememnt of the top front window trim took several hours. It helps having your own spray equipment and garage. Now onto the next challenge....taking care of those front end rock chips!

If you are handy, do as much of the interior disasembly you can yourself, there is nothing hard to take apart. I am sure anyone with basic skills and basic hand tools can handle this one. The on line service manual is there to help you when you get stuck. This is the perfect time to clean in all those nooks and crannys that get neglected over time. You can replace any tired or broken clips and fix any squeeks while you are at it. I have the interior out of my car now, down to the dash, and I did it in one afternoon. Seats are being conditioned, amps are at BrianK's getting rebuilt, windows lubed, and everything is spotless for the reassembly.

Make sure that the shop knows what parts can be replaced and what needs to be reused, some of the seals on the side garnish panels will need to be removed and reglued to the panel, I do not believe they are available as replacement seals and should be removed to get the factory look in your finish. The top seal can be taped but the bottom seal should come off then be reglued. If they screw this up the replacement garnish piece is 290.00. I have included the parts blow up for the roof and trim, maybe this will help you see what is available and what is not.

I would say if you do the R&R on the interior, then you should get a very good paint job for 600-800 just make sure they understand exactly what you want to see as a finished product and exactly what part of the job you are willing to do. This should also cut down on the amount of time the car will be out of your hands and reduce the risk of other damage while out of your hands.

Best of luck, this really is easy, just do what you feel comfortable with and hire a pro for the rest.

Dave

Back