• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Royal Purple Synthetic Oil

Ask ten gearheads their opinion on oil and you will get ten different opinions. Some will say that synthetic (ANY synthetic) isn't necessary (or worth the extra money), some will say that ANY synthetic is good, and some will insist on one brand name or another.

I believe in synthetic's benefits in better flow at cold temperatures and better resistance to breakdown at hot ones, and I do NOT extend my frequency intervals for oil changes due to using synthetics.

I use Mobil 1 10W30 but have also used other brands, notably Pennzoil Performax. I don't think you need to spend more for Purple or Redline, but that's just my O and YOMV. In any case, I would never use an oil that's rated other than 10W30 viscosity, because that's the viscosity that Acura specifies for our car.

Originally posted by NormRD:
Is this stuff any good? Currently use Mobil 1 synthtic.

I would not use it. A friend with a 876 rwhp Supra offered to give me about a case of that stuff as he said it was POS. I declined and he threw it in the trash can. It must suck!! If you want a quality motor oil, go with Amosoil as from the stats it is better than Redline.

And you believed a Supra owner??? (You're kidding... right?)
confused.gif

Mobil 1 is as good as any synthetic motor oil you can buy.

I think he meant that the purple oil sucked, not Mobil 1.

------------------
Brian
Austin,TX
95 NSX-T Black/Black

Originally posted by ilya:
What's the diff between 10-30 and 10-40. Last time I was at the shop they had me use 10-40. Any idea?

In theory the difference is how they flow at warm temperatures. I don't have the manual in front of me, but I think 10-40 is fine in a climate where temperatures never approach freezing. It is probably a good choice if temperatures approach 100 and/or you run it very hard for extended periods. But, I'd check the manual.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 21 April 2001).]

He tears down his engine before but I doubt that is how he concluded it sucks. I respect the guy as he used to work on my car and when someone offers a case of this royal purple oil to me for free, he must not think too much of it and I don't want to take a chance on it. I used to use exclusive Amsoil until I get tired of ordering the damn oil. I think that is the best oil around from the fact sheets on see on some oil analysis and talking to a MIT Chemical engineer that worked at Mobil.

Originally posted by weiku:
How did your friend with the Supra determine that RP sucked? Did he have the oil sent out to an oil analysis center to see what was left in suspension in the used oil? IOW, what was your friend's criteria for concluding the RP sucked.

I have a independent comparison of 5 different synthetics comparing friction (heat measured). Mobil1 was at the bottom (worst), Amsoil Synthetic 500 Race Oil (their pricey most expensive stuff) was on the top. I think the list then went 2: Amsoil 300? (not as pricey race oil) 3: Syntech 4: I forgot 5: Mobil1.

I'll have to dig it up.

-- Chris

Back