• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RP MOTORSPORTS/Tom Bell = BUYER BEWARE

KingsCourt said:
An example of being ignored and being left in the dark is the Bobolinski wheel situation. After Tom started a thread and got some people interested, he stopped providing information. After a while people were begging for any kind of information, which never came. I know some people were frustrated with that, cause it was obvious by some of the latter posts. Oh well, live and learn.

FYI, others are working on getting those wheels produced for the NSX since Tom dropped the ball.

Dave, Sorry to disagree but if your seller doesn't respond like a responsible vendor should, multiple emails are one of the very few tactics available. Do what you must to get treated fairly IMO :mad:

come on.. you cant get upset about waiting for Volks.. you got it under 4 months that is pretty good. I've seen wheels being on back order for 6 months or so.. Thats how it is with JDM wheels.

I dont know tom personally but Here is the deal with Wheels.
Volk.. all come in thru Mackin..
No one want to upset Mackin or your wheel will come in last.

Tom prob going thru a Wholesale distributor ( WD ) in his area then the WD place order to Mackin.. To lock down the order there must be a deposit of some type.

To maintain relation with WD.. Tom cannot call them everyday to get updates. He may call once a week or so just to check. Tom is in the hard place of keeping you update with information that he doesnt really have.

Then one day the wheel practically just appears magically and Mackin ship it to the WD or it is dropped shipped to you.

4 months isnt bad...

You know, after a few years of purchasing stuff online due to better discount, I would gladly pay the extra bucks if I can buy them locally from an actual shop. A lot less hassle.

Henry.

I agree that him not responding is wrong and I wouldn't put up with it. But 20 emails a day is just obnoxious. It's sole purpose is to annoy, not to get a response. 1-2 emails per day is excessive, but given the details it is at least understandable.

As for what I would do - If the normal inquiries weren't working I'd start prying more, and setting dates. "I need a status update by the end of the week or I am going to have to cancel my order." Resonable communication. If you are sending 20 emails a day do you really think that you will be treated reasonably? No - you'll be treated like some jackass who sends 20 emails a day and will never be pleased. Anywho - if being reasonable in demanding updates did not work, then I would cancel my order and demand a refund. If it did not come, I would dispute it with my CC company.

I will say that Volks take FOREVER to come in. I ordered my wheels myself, straight from Mackin( I am a dealer, but I dont like selling them for this reason) and they still took over 4 months to come in and I recieved very little response from them while I was waiting. :frown:
As far as responding goes, not responding is shitty...period. But I guess if there's no new news, then you get no response. IMO that should change if Tom would like to continue, but that's not my business. Waiting for custom wheels is like a kid in the back seat on a long road trip... Are we there yet??? :cool: Sometimes you just want to hear something.

BTW this thread should be moved to the new section that is up for this specific purpose.here

For those that are supporting Tom as a honest person with integrity, passionate, helpful, and trustworthy, I won't question your opinion, for I don't know him, but I can say I know Mike (NSXOON) personally, and I can say the very same compliments about him.

I don't think Tom is out to take anyone's money, for that is not the debate at hand, but better communication would have helped a great deal, in this situation.

Last edited:
Ordered my wheels/tire combo last year from Tom. There was a minor delay in shipping but everything works out fine. For the price I think it was worth the wait.

Last edited:
KingsCourt said:
My experience with Tom has been a very long, drawn out, and frustrating one. I believe I've been more than patient. This story could be so long, that I have to be careful and not write a book. Let me try to be as brief as possible.

First part of payment made on 6-30-05, followed by the second part of the payment on 7-7-05. I expected wheels in within a couple of weeks, max. It turns out that HP in Miami shipped the wheels to Tom in Wisconsin, instead of to me in Central Florida. After a while I started thinking, "Goodness this is taking a long time." On August 1st Tom tells me that HP shipped them to his PO Box in Wisonsin, and that he would be sending them FedEx Ground to me. Well, that explains what was taking so long. This could have possibly been because of lack of communication from Tom to HP, but I like to believe that it was just carelessness on HP's part. On August 6th I received the wheels, but apparently one of the fronts got lost - just straight-up disappeared. HP was not gentle/careful with the mounting, and each wheel had some type of imperfection on it. Some from the mounting, and some from the excessive running around and being manhandled through FedEx. I made it very clear that the wheel/tire combo that I NEED is the passengers side front, and even sent a picture of the front that I have, so they know exactly how I need the mounting. Here is where the monumental waiting starts, with very, very little communication on Tom's part. I would send an e-mail, wait a week, send another, and still nothing. Very frustrating. When you are left in the dark, you can't help but think bad things. On August 29th I get an e-mail stating "shipped." After weeks with no reply to multiple e-mails, nothing, and on September 15th I finally get another e-mail from Tom that says, "shipped," and the wheel finally arrives on the September 23rd. I wasn't too surprised when I discovered that the replacement wheel/tire combo was mounted backwards. I now had 2 driver's side fronts. More money, more hassle, and more wear and tear on my new wheel.

To add to the above frustration, I was invoiced and charged for two 3mm spacers for the front, lugs, and hub-centric rings. I made the mistake of assuming that Tom was correct with his information regarding just needing spacers up front. It turns out that I needed a set of spacers for the rears, too, and I never received the lugs, nor the rings. I never got refunded, either. Ever since I received the 3 wheel/tire combos, I've mentioned to Tom that I have not received the lugs nor hub-centric rings. Never has he addressed it, mentioned it, or replied to an e-mail regarding it. I even copied the invoice that show me being charged for the lugs and rings. After a while I just said to refund me -- but no refund, and no response. Last e-mail sent was on September 25th, so I'm assuming he's not addressing it. I was just going to accept it as is and move on, because the money amount is small, but when you've been ignored, it's insulting. It's a matter of principle. Plus, when you realize that you are not alone, I felt compelled to share my story.

The last frustrating part of the purchase (which isn't Tom's fault), is that a 3mm spacer worked on the passenger's side front, but not on the driver's side front. I have aftermarket cross-drilled and slotted rotors, which MAYBE have something to do with it. A tiny little bit more is needed on the driver's side front. Now I'm probably looking at getting a set of 5mm spacers up front with the extended studs.

Tom may not be guilty of a lot of the frustrations that I've dealt with, but he is 100% guilty for the lack of communication, and he is 100% guilty for ignoring the ring and lug situation. Trust me, the lack of communication, and being ignored is a killer --as I'm sure NSXSOON can attest.

An example of being ignored and being left in the dark is the Bobolinski wheel situation. After Tom started a thread and got some people interested, he stopped providing information. After a while people were begging for any kind of information, which never came. I know some people were frustrated with that, cause it was obvious by some of the latter posts. Oh well, live and learn.

I agree with Kingscourt. I bought a set of HP wheels from Tom that was suppose to be in stock. I did not get them for over 6 weeks with me constantly bugging him.
The wheels were also damaged, and right now he is not doing anything about it. At least he is not repsonding to my emails.
I am not saying he is not honest, but he definately has lack of communication skills.

For those who have problem with doing business with Tom..I guess nobody is perfect...I'm sure he will step up and will try to resolve those issues. Right Tom? :wink:

What sucks is that distributors, and suppliers suck ass PERIOD. If you think you get treated bad from me, try actually being a retailer. I get lied to (see right through them, and don't pass the lies on). Also, many rims guys are incompetant, shipping to the wrong place, poor packaging. When a rim gets damaged HP I send all of the info and pics to them and never hear anything back. I am not ignoring you. If I don't get info to pass, I don't pass nothing. I am no longer selling HP with tires (they do NOT know how to mount, and re-package properly) I will only sell them rims only. As far as tracking #'s go, some sulliers are awesome, others suck. When I gave the tracking # AFTER the product was received, it was because it was like pulling teeth to finally get it for you. Also everyone thinks that rims are made overnight, and I am in the box with them with a sat. phone, and can give updates daily. Wrong answer. Mike you should have bought them from Ben. I would have laughed as he told you to f off! I won't stoop that low. I am just a NSX owner/enthusiast that uses my connections to get parts to prime members for the absolute lowest price. I have a full time day job, and mainly sell rims/ tires and suspension parts. I don't do more, because I don't have the time to track down trinkets. Mike hope to see you next year at NSXPO. :rolleyes:

Tom,
I will be at NSXPO next year in Orlando as well as several other local area folks who you have miss treated not the least of which is the #1 independant NSX specialest in the Orlando area! See you then.

RP-Motorsports said:
What sucks is that distributors, and suppliers suck ass PERIOD. If you think you get treated bad from me, try actually being a retailer. I get lied to (see right through them, and don't pass the lies on). Also, many rims guys are incompetant, shipping to the wrong place, poor packaging.

I am a retailer, a real one, with multiple brick and mortar locations, not just internet sales. I understand what you are saying, but if those are your problems, you should really get new suppliers. I sell rims in all of my stores and rarely(knock on wood :wink: ) have the degree of problems that you describe. I do have one distributor, though, that is horrible about getting tire sizes right :mad:
I am not posting to instigate, but to perhaps give some helpful suggestions. I myself was interested in getting the Bobolinski wheels from you and emailed inquiring...waited a week or so,no reply, so I PM'd through prime...waited a couple of weeks, no reply, so I posted my question in 3 different threads that you were active in...no reply. It was a simple question, "are they available and how much?" A simple "no they are not available right now, I will contact you when they are" would have sufficed.
Either way, keep in mind I am not bashing you or what you do, just giving my opinion, take it for what it is worth. I am sure that you have saved several NSX'ers big money for selling wheels at a discount and that they appreciate I am sure.

I see both sides and here's what I think.

Tom should have responded to the emails. If you have someone else's money, the least you can do is send update maybe once a week. If there's nothing to update on, then send email saying still no update. At least NSXsoon would have had some idea. Being kept dark when you are spendinng money is the worst feeling. I could understand what drove NSXsoon to do the 20email thing although I do agree that's too aggressive.

NSXsoon should have been a little more patient considering that VOLK delivery time taking long was known, but I understand his frustration not knowing at all what's going on. But then, it was a risk unfortunately.

Either way, there's no need to start threats about what will happen at NSXPO. That's not cool. I think both sides have expressed their opinion regarding the matter and we can draw our personal conclusion from that. NSXsoon does have the right to post his opinion on RP's service because after all, RP does promote his services on prime. At least NSXsoon got his wheels at the end.

Give peace a chance guys :D
-ak

FWIW I waited 6 mo for Blitz wheels back some years,slow boat from wherever!Looks like both parties have people vouching for integrity,so I think we should have motul wrestling at next years xpo :tongue: You two in the early bouts,along with yellow Rose vs netviper,but the main event will still and always be Dali vs all comers in a tag match anywhere in the building! :tongue:

docjohn said:
yellow Rose vs netviper, :tongue:

mrrumble.jpg

LOL

Armando

ak, I just have to mention that I LOVE your avatar! I crack up every time I see it.

docjohn said:
I think we should have motul wrestling at next years xpo :tongue:

I prefer Castrol SRF! :biggrin:

I appologize sincerely for those who are pissed at me. I am NOT a crook. I am not a hiding scammer. There were a few weeks in which I was doing a lot of traveling, and did not respond to repeat emails. I understand your side Mike (and others). It is unfortunate is the way Mike is so offensive towards me. I never meant a "fight" by saying see you at NSXPO. If you look at the rolling eyes, it meant that I could care less about actually meeting him. I will meet 99% of the people there, and will not hide out like another vendor does. I am starting to see why Dali no longer posts on prime much, because of all of the negativity here. Oh well life goes on. I have emails to read.... :biggrin:

Tom, please call HP for me.
Nevermind.
EDIT: My wife just called me to say a bunch of stuff just showed up . Wooohoo.

GHOSTRIDER said:
Tom, please call HP for me.
Nevermind.
EDIT: My wife just called me to say a bunch of stuff just showed up . Wooohoo.

super duper spacers will be coming too. Anyone need some 3mm spacers? ghostrider has (4) 3mm spacers for sale $7.50 each + ship! :wink:

(QUOTE FROM RP) Oh well life goes on. I have emails to read....

WOW that was low... at least he didnt say he had emails to respod to :eek: :eek:

RP-Motorsports said:
<snip> I am starting to see why Dali no longer posts on prime much, because of all of the negativity here. <snip>

this sounds like a perfect example of natural selection.

RP-Motorsports said:
God guys can't you take a joke? I said it that way on purpose.

Tom,
If you stopped joking, do your job and answer customers as fast as you respond to this thread this thread wouldn't even exist!

Back