• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RPMs slow to return

DK

I have a 2000 NSX-T. From day one the rpm's have been slow to return to an idle. If I'm over 5000 rpm and let off the gas, it takes a second or two for the engine to reduce it's speed. If I push in the clutch, the rpms come right down. It's annoying that between shifts, the rpms hang for a second. Has anyone heard of this. I wonder if it is smog related. Is there a way to change this. I took it to the dealer when the car was new and they said it was normal.

There's a fast idle valve at the throttle body where you can adjust such behaviour. The procedure was described somewhere here on Prime - you may do a search.

Last edited:
PLEASE if you (anyone) finds the thread please post the link. I seem to have a simlilar issue. At cold start a get a VERY fast rap-up and back down in rpm's. VERY race car engine sounding, especially with my Taitec headers and B&B exhaust... Versus once the engine is warm... it's a bit slower.

I have a 7lb Tilton Flywheel also... still wish the engine would return to idle as fast when it's warm as it does when cold.

I have 2 friends with early 90s integras and my Ex had a 94 Accord. All 3 cars did the exact same thing.. is this a honda/acura thing?

BTW.. my X nor my last civic ever did this.

This is an emissions issue. If the throttle were allowed to snap closed, then you would have an excess of fuel for the amount of air available, resulting in increased emissions. Slow throttle closing has been around at least 17 years. Just some are a bit slower than others.

RichJacobs issue is different. On start, the motor does rev a bit. I don't know why, other than giving you that racey sound. This could be also emissions related, as start is usually rich, so the throttle opens to allow more air?

Completely agree, NSXT.

This is by design and cannot be "adjusted":).

HTH,
LarryB

NSXT.. thks for the input. To be specific... When my car is cold (well, as cold as it can get in San Diego in my garage). The car will rev up and right back down to idle VERY fast. I used to drag race high compression 13.5/1, 600HP small block chevys and you get a VERY quick rap in revs up and immediately back down to idle. This is what I mean. P.S. my car is a '91 with 17k miles on it. So the motor is very healthy... smogged it 4 months ago and it came out better than most newer model cars according to the smog guy. Maybe what I'm experiencing is normal.. was just hoping for a way to permanantly get the racier rev-rap music goin' !!!

Thats funny, having the exact same problem on my Porsche 944. Just did the clutch, and now, right at start up, tach goes up then comes right back down. After warms up, tach goes up, settles to 2k quick, then takes a while to come back down to idle. I have been told on Rennlist that it is probably a vacuum leak, but have been unable to find the leak. Interesting on the flywheel hypothesis, as I had to get mine resurfaced, and don't know how much they took off.

Back