• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rumor mill: Type R coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just figured he was having a Bill Murray groundhog day thing going where he wakes up and says the same thing every day, month after month, year after.....

it sure feels that way.:eek:

Where have you been? Google Ferrari odometer rollback scandal.

I always wondered how modern Ferrari owners drove their cars so little before selling :rolleyes::mad:

Ever since the birth of this forum, there have been parasites who jump from thread to thread and spew their toxic gases. Every forum should tolerate them; they make us more attached to the things we like. Let him be.

Lol most reasonable people state their opinion once, maybe twice when it is in print and therefor reproducible.....the groundhog day reference is more akin to forum waterboarding:eek:

I find it reasonable that Gen 1 owners hoped for a car that would thrash other current cars and be priced much lower.

Acura basically gave us their version of a 458 ($270K) for a lower price ($170K with CF brakes).

Due to the delays in the program and shocking amount of amazing product in the space, the offering doesn't do the thrashing.

I have been surprised at the amount of anti-hybrid sentiment, but if lower weight is someone's priority, the hybrid will be their whipping boy.

Too bad the car is not selling but I certainly give Honda points for trying.

If you study the manufacturing processes via the node system it is geektastic :cool:

I'm going to binge watch revenge of the nerds 1-3:biggrin:

I find it reasonable that Gen 1 owners hoped for a car that would thrash other current cars and be priced much lower.

Acura basically gave us their version of a 458 ($270K) for a lower price ($170K with CF brakes).

Due to the delays in the program and shocking amount of amazing product in the space, the offering doesn't do the thrashing.

I have been surprised at the amount of anti-hybrid sentiment, but if lower weight is someone's priority, the hybrid will be their whipping boy.

Too bad the car is not selling but I certainly give Honda points for trying.

every comment i post is getting deleted by the NSX Prime Nazi's, regardless of what is said, so this one may also?

but i honestly couldn't care less about the hybrid stuff, or the price. as i have said many times, i'd pay $250,000 for an NSX if it delivered that level of performance. i'm not an Italophile, nor a Honda fanboy. i'm absolutely NOT anti-hybrid in the slightest. if a company builds an awesome machine, i'll appreciate and like it. doesn't matter who built it, or how. German, Japanese, English, sure. as i've said before, the NSX is a great machine, i like and appreciate it. there are some others i like more, but that's just me.

if they build a Type R, we'll see how that goes... :wink:

p.s. Acura definitely did not build their version of a 458 in any way. those two cars could not be more incomparable.

Acura definitely did not build their version of a 458 in any way. those two cars could not be more incomparable.

If Acura built a car to emulate the 458 Italia it would have likely resembled the original NSX. Naturally aspirated DOHC VTEC V6 pushing 500+ HP, high redline, light weight, titanium rods (missing from NC1) and hand made in Japan, engineered by racing veterans. Instead they let a SUV and family car engineer put together a car in Ohio that's currently selling like a Vector...

Acura used 2 458"s as comparison vehicles when developing the nsx..the performance parameters were targets.

If Acura built a car to emulate the 458 Italia it would have likely resembled the original NSX. Naturally aspirated DOHC VTEC V6 pushing 500+ HP, high redline, light weight, titanium rods (missing from NC1) and hand made in Japan, engineered by racing veterans. Instead they let a SUV and family car engineer put together a car in Ohio that's currently selling like a Vector...

The engine is in fact made by Cosworth. Sooooooo? Not enough cred?

The engine is in fact made by Cosworth. Sooooooo? Not enough cred?

Cosworth designed parts of the engine or the whole engine?

Also, I don't believe they manufacture it? I believe that's in Ohio.

And for a pure TT 6 cylinder engine it doesn't pull as hard as a GT-R or a 911 Turbo, based on instrumented tests.

So while Cosworth is a great brand, the end result isn't driving breakthrough numbers or sales

The engine’s final assembly is in Ohio, but that’s about it. Block and heads come from Cosworth. Turbos are from Mitsubishi. Not sure about fueling, but Keihin would be a safe bet.

500hp out of a 3.5L V6tt is honestly nothing special these days. But given the fact that it is a genunie Cossie and the GT3 car makes 600hp with that same hardware, you have to believe they held something back for a future higher performance (Type-R perhaps?) variant a couple years after launch.

Acura used 2 458"s as comparison vehicles when developing the nsx..the performance parameters were targets.

Acura had 2 458's to study. One was ripped apart to study the chassis. It's a pretty interesting move actually. Let's see how some of the best do it and then make sure we do it better. I think the NSX truly is exceptional when it comes the the chassis rigidity.

It's also neat how they designed some aerodynamics into the rear of the chassis. The car uses some of the air flowing underneath the car and pulls it through the hollow portions of the chassis and over the brakes to cool them down.

Last edited:
that's just it..the more you know the more you get:wink:

Acura ripped apart 2 458's to study their chassis. It's a pretty interesting move actually. Let's see how some of the best do it and then make sure we do it better. I think the NSX truly is exceptional when it comes the the chassis rigidity.
Are you sure they disassembled both of them? At the time, articles said that one was for driving and one was for teardown. FWIW, Honda said the 458 they drove had a few things go wrong with it during their tests although they didn't give details.

Are you sure they disassembled both of them? At the time, articles said that one was for driving and one was for teardown. FWIW, Honda said the 458 they drove had a few things go wrong with it during their tests although they didn't give details.

Suppose my wording was a bit misleading. They had 2 458's to study. To my knowledge only one was ever ripped apart although it was assembled and disassembled more than once from what I have heard. Edited the post to correct it.

Last edited:
........p.s. Acura definitely did not build their version of a 458 in any way. those two cars could not be more incomparable.

Power to weight ratio pretty dam close.

Performance pretty close.

Low and wide

Launch control

DCT

Only real difference is the type of powerplant and RWD vs AWD......... and one sounds WAY better than the other

Acura had 2 458's to study. One was ripped apart to study the chassis. It's a pretty interesting move actually. Let's see how some of the best do it and then make sure we do it better. I think the NSX truly is exceptional when it comes the the chassis rigidity.

It's also neat how they designed some aerodynamics into the rear of the chassis. The car uses some of the air flowing underneath the car and pulls it through the hollow portions of the chassis and over the brakes to cool them down.

nothing new about this technique, it's been happening for decades...

Power to weight ratio pretty dam close.

Performance pretty close.

Low and wide

Launch control

DCT

Only real difference is the type of powerplant and RWD vs AWD......... and one sounds WAY better than the other

sorta close, but not better (458 = 3400 lbs. & 570 horsepower. 458 Speciale = 3000 lbs. & 600 horsepower. NSX = 3800+ lbs. & 570 horsepower)

as above

a fairly common formula

ditto

see reply #3

and yes, the 458 powerplant is an absolute gem of an engine. i prefer the 458 to the 488 honestly. the twin turbo car is heaps faster, but the character and
driving experience of the older model is in my opinion, much better. even on the race track. i think the 458 is the perfect base Supercar. everything after is
just merely faster...

p.s. had this current NSX debuted five or six years ago, it would have been a game changer. as it sits now, it's just showed up at the party a little short, a little too late...

Oh Jesus here we go again. More groundhog day.

If Ferrari is so great, why don't you go live on Fchat? I'm sure they could use a new fluff boy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back