• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rumor mill: Type R coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing new about this technique, it's been happening for decades...

sorta close, but not better (458 = 3400 lbs. & 570 horsepower. 458 Speciale = 3000 lbs. & 600 horsepower. NSX = 3800+ lbs. & 570 horsepower)

as above

a fairly common formula

ditto

see reply #3

and yes, the 458 powerplant is an absolute gem of an engine. i prefer the 458 to the 488 honestly. the twin turbo car is heaps faster, but the character and
driving experience of the older model is in my opinion, much better. even on the race track. i think the 458 is the perfect base Supercar. everything after is
just merely faster...

p.s. had this current NSX debuted five or six years ago, it would have been a game changer. as it sits now, it's just showed up at the party a little short, a little too late...

It would have still been slower than a GT-R.
The DBA R35s dropped to the 2.8-2.9s to 60s range and high 10s/low 11s quarter mile. Not sure it would have been a game changer but it would have sold a lot more because all the other options at the time were slower than the GT-R as well (we are talking 2012-2013). Today with Hellcats, Demons, Vette ZXXs, McLarens, 911 varietals, etc. there's just too many good choices with superior power and performance metrics. I still think the NC1 would sell at 50-100 units a month if it cost $95K and ran only a Honda ICE that could actually be modded and dropped the grille for a front-end more like the HSC had.

The DBA R35s dropped to the 2.8-2.9s to 60s range and high 10s/low 11s quarter mile. Not sure it would have been a game changer but it would have sold a lot more because all the other options at the time were slower than the GT-R as well (we are talking 2012-2013). Today with Hellcats, Demons, Vette ZXXs, McLarens, 911 varietals, etc. there's just too many good choices with superior power and performance metrics. I still think the NC1 would sell at 50-100 units a month if it cost $95K and ran only a Honda ICE that could actually be modded and dropped the grille for a front-end more like the HSC had.

Okay, I think we all get it by now. It's not a GT-R. It never will be a GT-R. I think you need to go and get a GT-R.

Who the **** would be looking seriously at an NSX and then decide to get a Hellcat or Demon instead?

at least the hellcat and demon look better than a GTR:cool::smile:
want to win 0-60 and 1/4 mile bragging rights might as well get a TESLA
i think the new NSX is one of the best looking rides on the road

Last edited:
500hp out of a 3.5L V6tt is honestly nothing special these days. But given the fact that it is a genunie Cossie and the GT3 car makes 600hp with that same hardware, you have to believe they held something back for a future higher performance (Type-R perhaps?) variant a couple years after launch.

and don't forget that Ford took a truck engine of the same displacement as the NSX, and dropped it into the GT with 650 horsepower sans any electrical assist.

if Honda plans to upgrade the NSX in the near future they'd better get on with it. pretty soon it'll be 200 horsepower down on the competition. and that bar never stops raising...

and don't forget that Ford took a truck engine of the same displacement as the NSX, and dropped it into the GT with 650 horsepower sans any electrical assist.

if Honda plans to upgrade the NSX in the near future they'd better get on with it. pretty soon it'll be 200 horsepower down on the competition. and that bar never stops raising...

Does anybody know if Honda plans to actually upgrade NSX 2.0? At 5 units a month, is there a business justification for an upgrade? If this was the tech space, the product would have been EOLed by now...

Okay, I think we all get it by now. It's not a GT-R. It never will be a GT-R. I think you need to go and get a GT-R.

Got one already. Destroys 99% of the cars on the road. Looking forward to what Nissan does with the R36.

Forget the Type R.

Looks like the worst best kept secret rear mid engine vette will start life at 600HP in RWD and go up to 1000HP in AWD.

Flat plane crank
DCT.

I think Porsche, NSX 2.0 and FGT sales will probably feel the hit when these Vettes come out (with massive aftermarket support)

This thread, like most others, misses the point of the original car and this one.

The car isn’t about how fast will it go when a professional driver pushes it to the max.

Rather, both cars were about usable performance average Joe can enjoy on a daily basis.

In my experience, there have been more than a few owners that had very little initial interest. Eventually a friend or two bought one and started driving the cars more regularly than the other Porsche’s or Ferrari’s in their garage. Next thing you see a cluster of guys with the new NSX.

I believe this car will age well as trade-offs of a tenth here or there are more than offset by overall enjoyment in a daily basis.

This thread, like most others, misses the point of the original car and this one.

The car isn’t about how fast will it go when a professional driver pushes it to the max.

Rather, both cars were about usable performance average Joe can enjoy on a daily basis.

In my experience, there have been more than a few owners that had very little initial interest. Eventually a friend or two bought one and started driving the cars more regularly than the other Porsche’s or Ferrari’s in their garage. Next thing you see a cluster of guys with the new NSX.

I believe this car will age well as trade-offs of a tenth here or there are more than offset by overall enjoyment in a daily basis.

This was exactly the point in my post. I'm nothing special when it comes to my driving abilities but I feel like I could challenge Senna when I'm in the NSX. It makes me a far better driver than I truly am.

This was exactly the point in my post. I'm nothing special when it comes to my driving abilities but I feel like I could challenge Senna when I'm in the NSX. It makes me a far better driver than I truly am.

When the HSC was debuted, the comment from Honda leadership is the car would provide accessible performance and that is what we got in the car that was eventually built.

I am looking forward to adding an R36 but I kind of wonder if Nissan will bail on the program. I would have to believe they would be targeting GT2- RS performance levels at this point.

The business justification point is a huge issue. Tough to get Honda folks to risk their jobs on spending more on a program that might not be able to be grown from it's current nadir.

The current Ford GT engine point is fun but missing a few realities. Sure, the Ecoboost has a connection to the F150 motor but I would love to see a list of the upgrades that got it to where it is in the GT. Plus Ford is doing a heritage thing as the 05-06 GT pretty much had a truck motor in it (from the F150 Lightning).

Had the NSX HSC sold I would have one right now.

That is one sexy car......

I like the look of the HSC as well.

I seem to recall a target of under 300HP and Honda got totally reemed for promoting tepid power in the replacement of an underpowered car for the segment, then that program got shelved.

Being an LFA fan I would love to drive the V10 F/R NSX prototype that was also shelved.

The current Ford GT engine point is fun but missing a few realities. Sure, the Ecoboost has a connection to the F150 motor but I would love to see a list of the upgrades that got it to where it is in the GT. Plus Ford is doing a heritage thing as the 05-06 GT pretty much had a truck motor in it (from the F150 Lightning).

i was quite surprised to hear Ford was gonna throw a turbo V6 in their heralded GT. i was even more surprised when it was virtually universally accepted and lauded by the world and its decades long fan base. i really thought there was gonna be a huge backlash about the engine not being a V8. but there really wasn't...

here's the point you boys are missing. any of the current crop of Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, McLaren's, Porsches, Audi's, etc. will make any driver far better than they are. and average drivers will feel like F1 heros who can do no wrong (as long as the cars are left in the safe nanny modes). likewise, any grandma could drive them to church on Sunday by way of the gnarliest roads en route.

all of today's crop of Supercars are ridiculously good, beyond comprehension. the NSX is not the sole Supercar with these traits...

here's the point you boys are missing. any of the current crop of Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, McLaren's, Porsches, Audi's, etc. will make any driver far better than they are. and average drivers will feel like F1 heros who can do no wrong (as long as the cars are left in the safe nanny modes). likewise, any grandma could drive them to church on Sunday by way of the gnarliest roads en route.

all of today's crop of Supercars are ridiculously good, beyond comprehension. the NSX is not the sole Supercar with these traits...

While many of them are much better than the supercars of past, the NSX still accomplishes that better than anything else that I have been in. For reference I've driven an R8 v10 plus, 570s, Huracan, and 911 turbo and tracked the 570s. The NSX was the most confidence inspiring of any of them by far in my opinion.

While many of them are much better than the supercars of past, the NSX still accomplishes that better than anything else that I have been in. For reference I've driven an R8 v10 plus, 570s, Huracan, and 911 turbo and tracked the 570s. The NSX was the most confidence inspiring of any of them by far in my opinion.

perhaps because it's the heaviest and slowest of the cars you've mentioned?

personally i'd say the R8 V10 Plus is the most confidence inspiring of any of the above mentioned cars. the Huracan and 570S by far the most exhilarating. i've tracked them all, repeatedly.

it's all personal opinion, but you can't say definitively that the NSX is better than the rest. especially when the performance and sales numbers don't back up your assertion. that's my point...

perhaps because it's the heaviest and slowest of the cars you've mentioned?

personally i'd say the R8 V10 Plus is the most confidence inspiring of any of the above mentioned cars. the Huracan and 570S by far the most exhilarating. i've tracked them all, repeatedly.

it's all personal opinion, but you can't say definitively that the NSX is better than the rest. especially when the performance and sales numbers don't back up your assertion. that's my point...

R8 v10 plus is barely under 3700 pounds and in no ways a light car.

Maybe I enjoyed the NSX and had a ton of confidence in it because the steering feels spot on to me and better than any other car I’ve driver.

Maybe I enjoyed it because of the way the torque vectoring can grap the front end and put it in the corner where it needs to be when I come in a little to hot.

Or maybe it’s even the way that in track mode the car lets you hold it right on the edge of pushing it to far without actually going to far and brutally punishing me.

You said so yourself it’s all personal opinion. Best doesn’t meant fastest, or lightest, most technologically advanced, most comfortable, or most storage capacity. Best is a subjective term that has a different meaning to everyone.

To me the NSX is best in the $175k and under segment because of the daily drivability, headache free ownership experience, looks, and steering feel that to me, were head and shoulders above everything else in that category. It’s never let me down no matter what I’ve asked the car to do.

maybe if you are in your 30-40's driving the Italian supercars any long distance might be fun...but If I had to drive somewhere for more that 2 hours the new nsx is a very nice choice...

R8 v10 plus is barely under 3700 pounds and in no ways a light car.

Maybe I enjoyed the NSX and had a ton of confidence in it because the steering feels spot on to me and better than any other car I’ve driver.

Maybe I enjoyed it because of the way the torque vectoring can grap the front end and put it in the corner where it needs to be when I come in a little to hot.

Or maybe it’s even the way that in track mode the car lets you hold it right on the edge of pushing it to far without actually going to far and brutally punishing me.

You said so yourself it’s all personal opinion. Best doesn’t meant fastest, or lightest, most technologically advanced, most comfortable, or most storage capacity. Best is a subjective term that has a different meaning to everyone.

To me the NSX is best in the $175k and under segment because of the daily drivability, headache free ownership experience, looks, and steering feel that to me, were head and shoulders above everything else in that category. It’s never let me down no matter what I’ve asked the car to do.

FA says you're not allowed to prefer the NSX. It's .08 seconds slower to 60 and top end is 4 mph off a Fcar. It's a dog.

Ok guys I gotta put some common sense into this thread. Enough already! There isn't going to be a Type-R and who gives a flying fvck about the other cars. The great thing about an open and free market is that you can buy or not buy whatever the fvck you want. Fastaussie doesn't like the new NSX, who gives a $hit about his opinion. I don't like the McLaren, who gives a $hit about my opinion. You all sound like my 5yr old twins, or in other words, idiots. And if you all want to know; I've had a really shitty week.

Thank you.

Ok guys I gotta put some common sense into this thread. Enough already! There isn't going to be a Type-R and who gives a flying fvck about the other cars. The great thing about an open and free market is that you can buy or not buy whatever the fvck you want. Fastaussie doesn't like the new NSX, who gives a $hit about his opinion. I don't like the McLaren, who gives a $hit about my opinion. You all sound like my 5yr old twins, or in other words, idiots. And if you all want to know; I've had a really shitty week.

Thank you.

You beat me to it, Doc.

every comment i post is getting deleted by the NSX Prime Nazi's, regardless of what is said, so this one may also?

FA - this Prime "nazi" is tired of trying to keep these threads clean. You don't like the car. WE GET IT. Since I'm the only one volunteering time to moderate these forums I guess I can do what I want. That includes deleting your incessant regurgitation of your negativity.

The Type R isn't coming. The rumor is just that - an unfounded rumor.

There is no need to keep this thread going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back