• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RX8

When is this car coming out? I looks as if it would make a great beater car and its looks (though nothing wonderful) are much nicer than the 350z...and it holds 4 ppl making it a great ppl hauler.

Opinions on the Rx8?

I read stats and it seems to be a ~240-250 hp car with a weight of an NSX (appr) would its hanfling be good? the last gen was quite a blast in that sense, but would it be better than an NSXs?

Opinions?

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

A new revised RX7 should be under way but it will remain a 2-seater. I'm still not sure about the reliability of rotary's. Although Mazda does claim will be more reliable. I would imagine upkeep and maintenance costs should be a bit higher than your average car in the $30K price range.

Not a big fan in the looks department though.
wink.gif
You'll have to drive it yourself to compare it with your NSX to determine if you like the handling.

Anyone who has ever studied engineering or engine design loves the history of the Wankel Rotary Engines and Mazda's first use of them in production cars.

Personally the idea of a true 4 door, 4 adult car, with a fresh (I think very attractive) design, with innovative technology, and a 8500 RPM readline would appeal to your average Honda/NSX owner - but we will have to see. Early car tests have been very promissing.

To better understand the Rotary / Cool animations: http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/guide.html

Rotory engine (from Mazda):

In a traditional 4-stroke piston engine, the same cylinder, does four different jobs - intake, compression, combustion, exhaust.

A rotary engine, however, allows each of these four jobs to be done in a different section of its housing. The effect is not unlike having a separate cylinder to perform each of the four jobs.

In a piston engine, expansion pressure created by burning of the fuel-air mixture forces pistons to move back and forth inside of cylinders. Connecting rods and a crankshaft then convert this linear movement into rotational motion required to drive the car.

In a rotary engine there is no linear motion to convert. Pressure is contained in chambers created by different areas of the housing and convex faces of a triangular rotor. As combustion occurs the rotor is immediately made to turn thus reducing vibration and increasing potential engine revs. The resultant increase in efficiency also means that the engine can be much smaller for equivalent performance of a traditional piston engine.

How does it work?
The main component of the rotary engine is the triangular rotor, which orbits within a roughly oval housing in such a way that the rotor's three apexes are in constant contact with the inner wall of the housing, forming three sealed volumes of gas, or combustion chambers. In effect, each of the rotor's three faces acts like a piston. As the rotor rotates within the housing, the three chambers that it creates change size, producing a pumping action.

In the centre of the rotor is a small externally toothed gear that is fixed to the housing. A larger internally toothed gear mates with this fixed gear, determining the path that the rotor will take through the housing.

Because the rotor is mounted off-centre on the output shaft it turns the shaft with the same motion as a handle turns a crank, moving output shaft through three revolutions for every one of its own.

I think the RX8 is ugly....doesnt follow the Sports car generation of the Rx7 at all....sorry for you 350Z fans as well, it just isnt the same as when they came out...

I nearly put a down payment on one. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think a roomy people hauler that revs to 9000 rpm and makes about 250 hp sounds like a good idea. And it's not an SUV!

Even the looks don't offend me much. I'll probably still get one, after I recover from my divorce.

When are they offically coming out for sale? Also, is ther a big dealer markup for putting a downpayment on one? What is the prices and such?

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

Back