• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RYU's "properly molested" NSX build thread

wow! looked like fun!!!

Unfortunately I can't comment too much yet except that after driving my car on the new AOS setup the loud whistling noise under heavy vacuum is back. I either have a vacuum leak somewhere or I need to replace the PCV valve. I can't imagine having a vacuum leak anywhere else. Unfortunately I won't be able to address this issue for another 2 weeks! Maybe i'll see you at NSXCE in Spa?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Regan. The other day, you mentioned your cruise control buttons being mounted somewhere other than the steering wheel. Is this the case and do you have pictures or a write up? I've search around prime for it, but most threads go nowhere or are old and lack pictures. Domo.

Mike B
going to bookmark this link here for assistance with Cruise Control wiring
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/194976-Cruise-control-quot-set-quot-wiring-help!!

Unfortunately I can't comment too much yet except that after driving my car on the new AOS setup the loud whistling noise under heavy vacuum is back. I either have a vacuum leak somewhere or I need to replace the PCV valve. I can't imagine having a vacuum leak anywhere else. Unfortunately I won't be able to address this issue for another 2 weeks! Maybe i'll see you at NSXCE in Spa?

- - - Updated - - -

Any update on the AOS under track conditions?
I'm not totally happy recirculating the oil vapors back into the engine as the BOV still spits a very fine spray of oil in the engine bay.
The solution might be to get the vacuum source from the exhaust?
On top, the line going from the AOS to the turbo intake gets really hot.
Can't be good for the IAT I suppose?

Last edited:
Any update on the AOS under track conditions?I'm not totally happy recirculating the oil vapors back into the engine as the BOV still spits a very fine spray of oil in the engine bay.The solution might be to get the vacuum source from the exhaust?On top, the line going from the AOS to the turbo intake gets really hot.Can't be good for the IAT I suppose?
I just got back from holiday so no track days yet unfortunately. There are other folks who have tapped the exhaust for the vacuum source. I have no tried it but it seems to work for them. In terms of the IAT impact, if I was to take a wild guess, I would assume the amount of hot blow by compared to the total amount of air going into your intake is minimal. Probably very very little in comparison. I have reinstated the OEM PCV valve in the front bank on mine. I might also have to reroute the hose to the AOS from the rear bank. Still a few things to tweak before a track day. I have to fix the noisy whistling noise which I think is coming from the lack of a pcv valve in the front bank. I'll find out this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Just posting a few general guidelines for my use later.
161-008-Tech-ShockTuning-ShockDynoChart.jpg

Source: http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/shock-tuning-101-dyno-your-dampers-for-optimized-handling/

attachment.php

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...-and-Handling-Part-3-Balance-the-chassis.aspx

Also uploaded JRZ RS Pro (NSX Spec) Shock Dyno sheets. Anyone have dyno sheets for the KW V3 or something equivalent? I'd love to compare them.

Attachments

• motoiq handling adjustments.GIF
    motoiq handling adjustments.GIF
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,240
  • Honda NSX Front compression RS PRO.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Honda NSX Front rebound RS PRO.pdf
    86.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Honda NSX Rear compressionRS PRO.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Honda NSX Rear rebound RS PRO.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Curious how they came to stiffer front spring = more understeer yet higher(stiffer) front tire pressure = less understeer. Seems contradicting. Adding pressure essentially adds spring rate.

Yeah, that's a conundrum. There are asterisks associated with the "Tire Pressure" categories but they don't seem to explain the rationale:

"* This is a rule of thumb, extremes of under or over inflation will not act like this. Very high tire pressures will reduce grip due to crowning and low pressures may increase grip due to flattening out the footprint."

Hmph...

It's tough to make generalizations because there are always exceptions to the rule and when it comes to suspension, you need to look at the whole picture. Without understanding the whole picture (it's often not easy) it's easy to write it off as a "black art"

The goal is to maximize the tires contact patch, which is why a probe type tire pyrometer is a crucial tool for dialing in your alignment and tire pressures. If you have an inherent imbalance in your tire sizing, spring rates, alignment, or geometry, you can use tire pressures to influence and tune the balance of the car. In racing you want to optimize the entire setup, optimize the tires and change the direct issue at hand.

I know that doesn't really answer the question, but I guess I'll give it a try: if you have a soft tire (construction) or not enough camber,adding tire pressure will add cornering stiffness and could improve grip. If you don't have an inherent issue and have over-inflsted tires, lowering the tire pressure will make for a larger contact patch and can also increase grip. Theres always points of diminishing returns on any adjustment and the answer always is "it depends".

Hmm...I think it may just be a typographical error.

RYU, I'm copying your idea of the Worksbell quick release. My buddies are always telling me how difficult my car's ingress is - I tell them it's part of an "entrance deterrent" and that they shouldn't be trying to get in my car so much. Except for past several months even I'm finding it tiring. I just couldn't find a QR that I was certain enough of. Thanks for bringing that product to my attention. ;)

Glad I could help [MENTION=4055]Ponyboy[/MENTION]. I did read from somewhere that the nsx has a relatively weak steering column as it was meant to collapse. With that in mind I try not to use the steering wheel to pull me out of the car. Don't want to tweak the steering column. It's probably a non issue but I'm just being paranoid.

I have an extra 1" spacer if you need one.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for you feedback as always @stuntman. It's time I invest in a proper probe type pyrometer.

Last edited:
I got my probe pyrometer from longacre has always worked well...has brake disk and tire setting.

About 5wks ago I ordered this bellmouth from Ebay. It was so cheap, I had no real expectations of receiving anything useful. Much to my surprise, it should do the job quite well which is to provide a smooth entry point for the air inlet on this air box assembly. The bellmouth will be mounted in the fender and will feed the airbox. You can't see the inlet on the other side of this airbox.

IMG_20160410_185218_zpszywjasej.jpg

IMG_20160530_102859_zpsj19bngho.jpg

When I get more time, i'll post some comments on my time in Europe talking with Mr. Yamamoto of RF Yamamoto Japan, my first time on the Nurburgring Nordschleife, talking about NSX-R, and much more. The NSX Club Europe folks are truly an amazing group of guys.

IMG_20160514_133315_zpsphjgdkqi.jpg

The Nurburgring is a trip, isn't it? :) Did you try the Aston Martin Pilot Program?

I've found the NSXCE guys to be like brothers. Good people.

The Nurburgring is a trip, isn't it? :) Did you try the Aston Martin Pilot Program?I've found the NSXCE guys to be like brothers. Good people.
It totally is. No one could have prepared me for that. I'm glad I watched a very recent youtube tutorial. They explained the new gate system and the courtesy turn signal etiquette. There was a big race that lasted all day so the track was only open for 1 hr the day we were there. We could only fit 2 laps in our Scrirocco rental. 1 lap for me. 1 lap for Mr. Yamamoto. We were all in the same car. If we're friends on FB he posted the video of us. It was a blast. We laughed like children the entire lap. All true on the NSXCE guys :)

I love this car. The suspension. The power delivery. The brakes... For once, this year has taught me that the joys of driving is starting to outweigh the joys of tinkering. That's a milestone for me :) I've been saying this for a while but i'm nearly done.
5d05bb33-cbd8-43de-a402-a71b004939b0_zps7oo4qmxj.jpg

Got to check off a few more things on the To-Do list over the wknd. It's getting smaller. Yay!

Installed the updated S2000 cluster from Johan. Also installed the Zublin shift light/buzzer in a hidden location behind the dash.
IMG_20160611_144340_zpsun7yuoah.jpg

The car was also with Jon Martin while I was gone. I started hearing a faint clunking noise upon clutch engagement in 1st and 2nd gear. I thought it might be the OS Giken LSD or something related like an axle. It turned out the front TiDave motor mount failed. Maybe due to the heat from the headers.. not sure. We replaced it with a factory OEM mount and i've accepted motor mounts on my car will simply be a wear item. I really should have an extra mount on hand... Also, while with Jon, my Odyssey PC680 battery finally took a crap on itself. It shorted (maybe cells fused internally or whatever) and it took out a few fuses in the car along with it. I ordered the same PC680 and hope for another 7yrs of happy motoring. It's an incredible little battery all things considered.
IMG_20160611_101916_zps9pzspqbw.jpg

Installed this finally on my NSX-R rep hood. Luckily stumbled upon a NSX Club CE member that had extras for sale. I bought one for me and Kuni. With the dollar so strong it made sense.
image-20160610_160723_zpsdyz4jcug.jpg

I just have my catch can to sort out and a few other nice to have parts installed like the CF Airbox. The elephant on my to-do list is to update the security and sound system. Maybe Mr. Audiophile [MENTION=14678]TURBO2GO[/MENTION] can help :)

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. It feels great to have accomplished this milestone. I've learned so much with this car.

Now i'm ready to tackle my next project. It will be more of a restoration than a tuner build. Who would care to take a guess? Here's a hint. (Same motor as in an M1). I'll pick it up towards the end of summer.
pictuer04.jpg

Goddamn that was quick. I guess the reverse opening hood gave it away? Haha

- - - Updated - - -

HOT OFF THE PRESS!

I just received word from OS Giken USA that they do not recommend their OS Giken 80-250w weight gear oil in transaxles. I had read the same from another thread here on prime but needed to confirm. I'll be switching over the Motul at some point. Geez.. what a waste of expensive gear oil.

attachment.php

Attachments

• OS Giken Gear Oil.GIF
    OS Giken Gear Oil.GIF
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,865
pics of clusterrr! don't ever say you're done :p

[MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION], thanks for posting the OSG notification! I was actually thinking about buying a few qts to see how it worked in the diff. All the vendors that I researched said that it was specifically made for the OSG diff. Guess I'm sticking to Shad's recommendation of Motul 75w140. It looks like the release says that OSG says 250R works for their RWD applications but recommended for transaxle applications. Confusing and not very inspiring.

Am I reading that correctly?

Last edited:
that will be a fun car!

honestly Honda needs to make a new S2000....but keep that roadster theme with a stiff chassis...

Back