• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2k rack on NA1

Thanks, he is doing very good now. Yea the docs at CHOP performed a miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm glad to hear that. He'll be out in the garage before you know it helping you do more neat NSX mods!

I've been reading a lot on cancer research from China. With their sheer population and available cancer data, they are making huge strides using artificial intelligence for diagnosing certain types of cancers and then prescribing the best post-op treatment plan.

It's pretty amazing that a lot of places over the world are now sequencing brain tumor samples for genetic abnormalities and feeding those into giant databases for analysis. I believe CHOP is helping with that. Are you in the Philadelphia area?

I'm glad to hear that. He'll be out in the garage before you know it helping you do more neat NSX mods!

I've been reading a lot on cancer research from China. With their sheer population and available cancer data, they are making huge strides using artificial intelligence for diagnosing certain types of cancers and then prescribing the best post-op treatment plan.

It's pretty amazing that a lot of places over the world are now sequencing brain tumor samples for genetic abnormalities and feeding those into giant databases for analysis. I believe CHOP is helping with that. Are you in the Philadelphia area?

Sorry went of the car topic. But yea those days cancer is on the news every other day I just always thought it’s faraway and thought it would never be this close. In our families nobody had cancer going back generations. Docs say it’s just bad luck. But if it’s not genetic then it must be environmental. At CHOP they have so many young kids with cancer it’s crazy I had no idea cancer is so common in kids. CHOP is awesome he is in the best place he can be. They have kids from all over the world.
Neurosurgent removed 99% of the tumor and now starting chemo. After few months of chemo might still need radiology using proton beam. But hoping he will not need radiology. The tumor had fast and slow growing cells so only time will tell what’s next. They installed a shunt to let the ceriblar spinal fluid go from the brain over a tube under skin to stomek area because his body was not observing it fast enough building pressure in brain. Neurosurgent did awesome awesome job he did not damage any of the brain area, he looks and acts like a normal baby again :) I’m in Poconos, Philly is about 2h South of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, sorry to go off-topic but I have some personal experience with brain cancers. Back in the late 90's I was doing research on boron neutron capture therapy for my nuclear physics degrees. In hindsight, I probably should have continued on in that field as my advisor was one of the leaders in that area. There are certain limitations (neutron source obviously) and areas for improvement, but I see Finland is building a new dedicated facility for worldwide treatment now.

My family is pretty involved with St. Jude so we're well aware of the numerous childhood cancers. You really have mixed emotions when visiting where you feel sorry for the kids and families that are going through it, but happy they are receiving the best possible care and will turn out fine :smile:

Last edited:

I have an aging (and large) family. Cancer runs on both sides. Someone very close to me is maintaining after 8yrs of +Stage 4 ovarian cancer (Western treatment). It's simply amazing to be honest. I also just got back from abroad but unfortunately my aunt passed away from brain lymphoma after only 5 wks after being diagnosed (Westernized 3rd world treatment). I also have another uncle who's only option 5yrs ago was to go on a weekly dialysis plan from kidney failure. He's since gone for treatment in China and he looks amazing w/o any dialysis. The days of tiger bones and rhino horns appear to be over but it's not really about that. They've found a way to blend western and eastern medicine and pick the best from both. I have not studied this subject much despite many in my family being involved in the Medical field but this has been my impression recently.

Sorry for the OT

Last edited:
cancer sucks.....I like that we are exploring immune therapies vs sticking with the old school chemo, which is a carefully crafted poison ....targeted radiotherapy at various energy levels also reduces complications....holistic / eastern methods have some utility but not alone.

Sorry to hear about your son, but it sounds like he is in some great hands!

From your driving impressions so far, does the rack feel like a quicker ratio than stock? I know it should be from the numbers, but in the video I cant tell if it looks all that quicker than stock.

So much progress!!

This is what I get for hibernating from Prime for a few months.

Haven't fully read through, but congrats on "completion" of the rack conversion.

Sorry to hear about your son, hope he starts to feel better and get better.

Also, I think I agree with the S2K rack being a little too fast for a NSX, after having driven one around for a bit now.

Haha I was actually saying I want it to be fast, and in the videos it doesn't look fast enough. However its hard to tell that just by a video.

I do agree that being as fast as the S2000 would probably be too much, but I could do with quite a bit faster than stock too. There are a few other things besides rack ratio that can change how fast the wheels actually move, like steering arm on the knuckle length.

Sorry to hear about your son, but glad to hear things are going well.

Also, I think I agree with the S2K rack being a little too fast for a NSX, after having driven one around for a bit now.
It's hard to draw conclusions without back to backing them since the S2K does not share the same steering geometry as the NSX, so putting an S2K rack into an NSX does not ensure the 'twitchyness' of the S2K will also transfer.

-That's why I REALLY want to drive it.

I don't know the length from tie rod to hub on s2000 or nsx but I think they are different, I think it does not translate to the same ratio from s2000 because of that. It's hard to say with out trying two cars in the same day, but as far as the ratio goes it's almost like before. The biggest difference is just enjoying the EPS while parking or driving at slow speed and holding the steering wheel with one hand. My Sparco steering wheel feels about the same too. I'll try to make the October 21 @ Bridgewater Acura NJ meet if someone wants to see how it feels but I don't know how my schedule will be yet in Oct.

Can you adjust the supply voltage and level of assist? What happens when you unplug it? How is the weight compared to stock? (is there additional effort/drag)?
If it's like the NSX EPS.. it's not a supply voltage input. The level of assist is determined by the speed sensor which is an AC pulse signal (IIRC). In the NSX it's also a on/off. It's not a variable. I'm not sure on the S2K but you'd have to think on newer EPS units it ought to be a variable assist system.

Therefore, in the NSX you can control when the EPS is in Assist Mode or not via manipulation of the VSS signal which is rather easy to do.

$0.02

Sorry to hear about your son, but glad to hear things are going well.

It's hard to draw conclusions without back to backing them since the S2K does not share the same steering geometry as the NSX, so putting an S2K rack into an NSX does not ensure the 'twitchyness' of the S2K will also transfer.

-That's why I REALLY want to drive it.

Understood. Definitely would have to feel it in a back-to-back comparison for a proper opinion/conclusion to be made.

Hopefully I can take it for a spin if he goes to Mikes gathering...

It looks like I'm going to be in Philly this weekend. Are you around [MENTION=6927]nsxmugen[/MENTION] ?

I'll send you PM. So far soo good. I been putting miles on the car since the retrofit and it feels very natural now and nothing broke yet:)

I'm late to the party but this is awesome. I've always wanted to see if an s2000 rack would work in the nsx. Did you and Billy ever meet up? And when can you take my money? :biggrin:

I'm late to the party but this is awesome. I've always wanted to see if an s2000 rack would work in the nsx. Did you and Billy ever meet up? And when can you take my money? :biggrin:
We got about 8" of snow that weekend so it was wash anyway, we didn't meet, maybe next time.

Any updates to this project? one of the most interesting mods I've ever seen in this forum and would be a great improvement to the platform!

Any updates to this project? one of the most interesting mods I've ever seen in this forum and would be a great improvement to the platform!

It's been soo cold here in the north east, drove the car only couple of times on warmer days with out any issues. Once the EPS light come on when I was playing music for a while when washing the car and when I finally started the power steering did not work anymore, but then I turn off/on the car and the power steering was back on. I think I might of drain the battery with the car off for too long. I'm very happy with the outcome but it's one of those things that one have to check in person how it feels, as everyone have different liking. If anyone is in Mt. Poconos PA area and wants to stop by for coffee ur welcome :) It's very solid setup. Next week I'll be sending out my J32a2 runners for porting so the car will be down for couple of weeks, I have couple more cool project stuck in my head but not enough hours in a day, to work on anything this winter.

Update:
With S2000 rack working I’m looking in to other options that would be good fit as it’s much harder to find JDM rack then USDM. I had my eye on TSX rack and few newer ones but due to canbus they will not work. The steering rack has integrated canbus controller that is looking for VSS signal on canbusF network. Surprisingly that is the only thing its accessing, I thought maybe it will use yaw control signal or steering angle from steering wheel but no, it only goes after Vehicle Speed signal (VSS) over canbus, rpm, is still accessed using direct connection to ECU not over canbus.

So to work around it I found canbus module that as input is using GPS signal and sends VSS over canbusB, it’s great idea because the VSS would always be true even when tire sizes change but it’s canbus type B and honda is communicating on faster Type F, so good try bot no go. I’ll continue to see if I can either convert VSS from analog to canbus or use GPS signal as source and send VSS over canbus to newer steering rack.
Now this leaves only with the other rack from accord hybrid as the only option. Accord hybrid has almost identical mechanics/controller as the S2000 JDM but different steering ratio. With a lot of interest from you guys I’ll be building the accord rack in the next 3-4 weeks so stay tuned for updates.

Back