• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sad day for the nsx!!

what a sad day.. yesterday was a perfect weather around 78 degrees.. decided to take the nsx for a cruise suddenly on the way back home on a busy street the clutch master cylinder gave up on me and broke the whole clutch pedal. I don't know if anyone has a problem with their when the clutch depress and won't come back up .. ughhhh sadness

had a similar frustrating experience the other day,was going to go for a cruise on a perfect day and check out my new pads and rotors,got a click the first time i tried to start it,then it started ,but i realized i do in fact need a starter.

this doesn't help with your clutch,but let it be that much more sweet when you drive it after it's fixed.

I know lol. I figure mine couldn't be the clutch since the last owner replace at 99k and i only put about 7k on since i bought it, but I check all the history record apparently maybe its time to change the master cylinder.

what a sad day.. yesterday was a perfect weather around 78 degrees.. decided to take the nsx for a cruise suddenly on the way back home on a busy street the clutch master cylinder gave up on me and broke the whole clutch pedal. I don't know if anyone has a problem with their when the clutch depress and won't come back up .. ughhhh sadness

Very common.

Replace the clutch Master and slave cylinder. Problem gone. Make sure you bleed them very good though.

I believe your description is incorrect. Is your clutch pedal not coming back up? Or are you saying the master cylinder rod has come unhooked from the clutch pedal arm? The latter is highly unlikely. Check your clutch reservoir & check your for leakage under the dash going under the carpet. Most likely your clutch master cylinder has failed. This is not uncommon.

I believe your description is incorrect. Is your clutch pedal not coming back up? Or are you saying the master cylinder rod has come unhooked from the clutch pedal arm? The latter is highly unlikely. Check your clutch reservoir & check your for leakage under the dash going under the carpet. Most likely your clutch master cylinder has failed. This is not uncommon.

yes my clutch pedal wouldn't come back up and I guess I blew the master cylinder. I check there wasn't any leakage yesterday at all but then again if the master cylinder would go out everything can happen at once

Last edited:
yes my clutch pedal wouldn't come back up and I guess I blew the master cylinder. I check there wasn't any leakage yesterday at all but then again if the master cylinder would go out everything can happen at once

I would verify your master is leaking before you just order it alone. Under the dash you usually have to pull the carpet back a little and look for a leak. Master leaks are tough to see. Also verify your slave cylinder is not leaking. It is on the front side of the trans closest to cabin firewall.

I would verify your master is leaking before you just order it alone. Under the dash you usually have to pull the carpet back a little and look for a leak. Master leaks are tough to see. Also verify your slave cylinder is not leaking. It is on the front side of the trans closest to cabin firewall.

since it in my friend shop as of now, i well take a look at it on monday to see if there any leakage and maybe check the slave cylinder as well.. thanks

Last edited:
It happened to me with the slave cilinder last week with my dad's NSX. I have ordered new wheels, he wanted my old wheels, so I took his car to switch them. On the highway I lost pressure, but still had some and in the city I lost all pressure. We bought new fluid and with lot's of luck (many green lights) we made it home (it was a 120 km drive). After replacing the cilinder the clutch is as new again!

Yup, fails all the time. These cars are getting old so read the forums and see what others are replacing. My master, slave and high pressure line was replaced last year. Just replaced the main relay and new fuel pump going in next week!

Posted from my iPhone

All I have to say is when you replace one it is short sighted indeed not replace the slave and master at the same time. Slave is cheap anyway. Also bleeding usually takes 2 times to get it just right. Bleed it and then drive it a week and then bleed the slave again. Easy to do.

From the sound of it is definitely the master. I had this happen to me in my new old car - same thing happened - pedal to the floor and no come back up - dead in the water.

Good luck!

The first thing I would do is fill the clutch reservoir, pump the crap out of it, making sure the reservoir is full, then go drive it;). The leaks are typically slow, so if you fill it, purge it by pumping it, it typically will go a while before dropping on you again, until you can have it repaired properly. Order the master/slave or have it repaired at an experienced shop.

Note: The small clutch reservoir empties quickly so make sure the check the reservoir every 5 pumps. If someone is watching the reservoir, when the bubbles stop, you should be good to go for a while:).

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
glad you only had to replace these parts, for a second from the heading i thought you total your NSX.

Very common.

Replace the clutch Master and slave cylinder. Problem gone. Make sure you bleed them very good though.

Is this a time issue or miles? I have a car with 39k miles that is 21 years old and these pieces look as new. It was not driven hard or taken on trackes in the first 21 years.

actually, this happened to me (pedal becoming unhooked) The P.O must have removed it and did not properly reinstall the pin that held that fork to the pedal. On the same note, I noticed he slid a smaller bolt into the brake pedal to fork hole and it fell out while I was driving on the highway. What a scare! :frown:

but on top of the pedal being unhooked, the master cylinder was blown as well... leaky everywhere down there.

Is this a time issue or miles? I have a car with 39k miles that is 21 years old and these pieces look as new. It was not driven hard or taken on trackes in the first 21 years.

Oddly enough it is neither. I can not come up with a reason for when they fail. We have done them on as low as a 14k mile 91. Master failed. And My old 95 with 178k still had the original Master and slave as of 2008 when I sold it.

the point is that it can happen anytime or anywhere lol just don't be like me and stop traffic at a busy street for awhile..a cop came by and was like "move it" I responded " I can't lol he responded back " i'm sorry , let me get behind you " lol.. actually he was pretty nice about it saying he would buy this car if he had the money.. I started laughing

THE salient point here for onlookers that hasn't been mentioned is not to replace them regularly, but to simply change their fluid regularly. For some reason this fluid gets grungy more quickly than brake fluid. It's the grunge that kills the units. Change the fluid every three years and i suspect you will never replace either master or slave. It is a pain to change though. But absolutely necessary IMO.

My fluid looked great when I changed it out earlier this month and replaced it with ATE Super Blue, so it sounds like I should be OK. But still - something to watch for!

The first thing I would do is fill the clutch reservoir, pump the crap out of it, making sure the reservoir is full, then go drive it;). The leaks are typically slow, so if you fill it, purge it by pumping it, it typically will go a while before dropping on you again, until you can have it repaired properly. Order the master/slave or have it repaired at an experienced shop.

Note: The small clutch reservoir empties quickly so make sure the check the reservoir every 5 pumps. If someone is watching the reservoir, when the bubbles stop, you should be good to go for a while:).

Regards,
LarryB

This advice is golden. It'll save someone from wasting money on a tow.

I was hours from home when the same thing happened - without warning, the clutch pedal dropped to the floor. Per Ramon (at Niguel Motors), I walked to an auto parts store to buy brake fluid, filled the reservoir, and pumped it until there was enough pressure to drive home. It was actually driveable like that for awhile, but I later replaced the slave cylinder.

Last edited:
Back