• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Safe to vacation in Mexico - Swine Flu

So of course I'm gonna ask the opinion of my own doctor but I figure I would throw it out here as well. Any comments would be great although I'd really like to hear from some Doctors here on Prime.

I have a family vacation planned for the end of May to visit Mexico. It would be my wife and I along with our two children (3 & 2 years old). We are flying into Cancun, then being shuttled to Playa De Carmen where we will be for 3 days. From there we are going by ferry to Cozumel for a week.

First we became concerned about the ongoing drug wars and our mind was set at ease by a few people we know that visit there often. Now as if that wasn't enough there's the Swine Flu going around.

How much do you think we need to be concerned about the medical risks involved with visiting those locations right now??

Thanks - John

John,
It is too early to tell for sure. But if I were you, I would hold off and perhaps change location. Apparently, the strain of the swine flu is quite virulent and death rate is high. Judging from the geographic distributions so far, it will likely spread significantly. Given the better health care in the USA, one likely will have better chance to survive an infection. However, in Mexico, it is a fair game. If you decide to go, make sure that you make a will and designate the CRX to me just in case. :eek: I promise to pay top dollars and take very good care of it.
Steve

John I defer to Steve.I don't know what the specifics are as to why the supposed deathrate is higher in Mexico.The flu seems to be less virulent in the US cases.Remember though the flu has its greatest effect on the very young and old,in between it is just an anoyance/loss of work issue.Antiviral drugs seem to work in this case so even better for healthy adults.

The symptoms were first found in Mexico where there currently has been the most documented cases of the Swine Flu.

In all honesty if you're going on vacation I would stay away from Mexico at least until you hear from WHO (world health organization) or the U.S. govt. saying it was safe.

What was meant to be a fun vacation with your family could turn out very bad. Please keep your family safe (first priority). Besides I'm sure there are many other places you can choose for vacation!

my sources say the us state dept may issue a travel advisory
regarding mexico, which may halt non-essential travel.
looky here
then again we may already be under martial law by the end of may:wink:

So John what did you do?

Population of Mexico = 110,000,000 approx.
Cases of Swine Flu reported = 800 approx.

Actual percentage of Swine Flu cases relative to population = 0.00073%

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he'll be just fine.

Figures that the Vegas guy is giving odds!:eek:

Actual likelihood that you'll be thinking about Swine Flu whenever someone sneezes, coughs, shakes your hand, touches your food, or touches your stuff while vacationing in Mexico = 99%. Good times!

Just go somewhere else and have peace of mind.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. Since we were able to get our tickets refunded (actually travel vouchers) we decided to just scratch it. To tell you the truth we were "fairly" worried but the really problem was the grief we were getting from our families. Constant bombardment of phone calls begging and pleaded us not to go. Then their was the guilt... "how could you put your family in that position.... what kind of Father would you be!!".

Gotta love Grand Parents!!

Back