• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sagging rear

I just noticed today that the right rear on my "96" with about 19,000 miles is about 1 inch lower than the left. Is this more likely a spring or a shock problem? Also i've been thinking about lowering the car anyway, so maybe now I have another reason other than for a better look.

saddly i've had the same problem and never found a cure. i loweder the car and that side was still lower and even rubbed.
everyone on the nsx prime also said try tire pressure which it isn't the case the local dealer said nothing was bent the car alligns up fine and drives perfect finally out of frustration a tried putting another spring factory height and it now is about 1/4" high and doesn't rub. the spring that came out look fine. is it a bad spring? i don't know. people tell me it is very unlikely. you hardly know the car is uneven now but still a pet peeve.
what i find intresting is that after my post about the same problem at least 5 other nsx owners came forward and said they had the same problem and all was with the rear right side.
so who knows?????

[This message has been edited by smoore (edited 10 December 2002).]

I'm thinking about going to a coil-over suspension. With a coil-over I should be able to ajust the height so my problem should go away. I'm leaning towards the Tein suspension, but I havn't made up my mind yet. Any feed back about this set up would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by kingsnsx (edited 11 December 2002).]

Originally posted by kingsnsx:
I just noticed today that the right rear on my "96" with about 19,000 miles is about 1 inch lower than the left. Is this more likely a spring or a shock problem? Also i've been thinking about lowering the car anyway, so maybe now I have another reason other than for a better look.

Does your car have original stock parts, or 'new' stock parts?

My old 91 had original stock parts when i deceided to go with comptechs threaded body koni shocks.. nice rideheight/corner balancing adjustment without the insane costs (at the time) of the coilover sets. This was back in '00.

If you jack up the side that is sagging, do you notice any oil, or dirty/muddy areas on the shock/strut? Does the compression on that corner feel normal? Or is it softer then the other side? Also, if you can, have somone drive next to you, find a nice straight portion of road and put the ride side of the car on those dots that sperate lanes. Check if the rebound damping on that corner is normal (wheel not hopping)...

I dont know what area your in, but i had really good experiences with Custom Alignment in Mountain View.. if you happen to be in the bay area. They would be able to find out exactly what the problem is.

I would want to find out the exact cause of it before buying/changing anything else. Its definitely not 'normal'.....
smile.gif

-mike
http://www.blazen.com/mike/

[This message has been edited by mikehedlund (edited 12 December 2002).]

I'm sure I have original stock parts on the car. I will check the shocks for any leakage, but I really think my problem will be spring and not shock related.

------------------
Wayne

I finally had time today to put the car on ramps and check everything out. The right rear is 1/2" lower than the left, and the left front is 1/4" higher than the right. The right rear spring looks like it's about 1/2" shorter than the left and all of the shocks look good. The problem has to be the right rear spring, right???

------------------
Wayne

Wayne,

Please clarify for me. How are you measuring your ride height? If you are measuring the fender lip height I have my doubts if the bodies are that perfect. The fenders are all bolt on units and even the most careful assembly may not 100% make the fender height perfect. Personally I would think a 1/4 inch difference would be some pretty outstanding assembly work.

Keep in mind that the shocks do not mount to the fenders, but the chassis (main body structure), so the fender could be pretty far off and it would not effect the actual ride height.

If you really want to measure the ride height I would measure up from the front and rear jack points on a very level surface. If this is even the car's height is correct. If it is not, the exact place to measure to be 100% sure is the inner suspension pivot points.

Front would be cross member height by the cam adjuster. Actually measure from the centerline of the cam adjustment bolt.

Rear would be on the Rear Beam height by the cam adjusters. Actually measure from the centerline of the cam adjustment bolt.

You really want to know the chassis height rather then the fender height. If the chassis is off, then there is some component not correct and it needs to be sorted out.

If the chassis ride height is even, you have to decide if you want to alter the chassis balance to cure the look
smile.gif
. Adjustable shocks can fix your fender height issue for sure, but this can actually lead to a very imbalanced car (corner balance way off).

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 13 December 2002).]

Back