• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

San Diego Repair Shop

Mark Johnson and Mark Basch will be opening an NSX repair shop in the San Diego area very soon. Mark Basch is one of the finest NSX techs in the country and will be able to serve the LA, San Diego area.

Well, I don't know about what kind of work Mark Basch does, but I heard from someone that he is not a factory trained Acura NSX mechanic. Now I don't know what kind of person you want working on your car, but Acura techs that work on NSX's are required to have certified Acura training that is specific to the NSX. Now, I may be wrong, so if anyone else knows different, prove me otherwise.

Mark Basch is the most knowledgeable, helpful, and intelligent NSX mechanics I have ever met, period. His depth of knowledge is not limited to just the stock NSX, but nearly every aftermarket tuning product available in the U.S.

Did you know that Mark B has done more NSX Supercharger installations than anyone on this planet (yes, even Comptech) although Comptech's engineers and techs are first rate as well.

Join the NSXCA listserv sometime, to see the praises that Mark B. gets.

Granted, with Mark B. living in Phoenix, I'm curious who will manage this new shop.

One thing for sure, is San Diego is looking like a mighty attractive place now. :)

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Mark Basch is the most knowledgeable, helpful, and intelligent NSX mechanics I have ever met, period. His depth of knowledge is not limited to just the stock NSX, but nearly every aftermarket tuning product available in the U.S.

Did you know that Mark B has done more NSX Supercharger installations than anyone on this planet (yes, even Comptech) although Comptech's engineers and techs are first rate as well.

Join the NSXCA listserv sometime, to see the praises that Mark B. gets.

Granted, with Mark B. living in Phoenix, I'm curious who will manage this new shop.

One thing for sure, is San Diego is looking like a mighty attractive place now. :)

-- Chris

That still doesn't answer the first question of whether or not he has certified training by Acura for the NSX. Would you have a person do heart surgery on you if he didn;t have a Medical degree? Even if he does good work, no one in their right mind would go to a doctor with no medical degree. For some people, the NSX is very dear to them and should at the very least expect that the person working on it has been at least certified as a NSX Master Technician. If Mark Basch has so much knowledge about the NSX, he should be at least a Acura NSX certified Master Technician.

Interesting question about heart surgery...

If someone had done more open heart surgeries (and all of them successful) than anyone else in the country but didn't have a medical degree, I'd choose him over someone who just got their degree and hadn't done the procedure.

Paper is paper - The NSX tech certification is only a part of the picture. It's the person's ability to do the work that counts.

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

Originally posted by erobbins:
Interesting question about heart surgery...

If someone had done more open heart surgeries (and all of them successful) than anyone else in the country but didn't have a medical degree, I'd choose him over someone who just got their degree and hadn't done the procedure.

Paper is paper - The NSX tech certification is only a part of the picture. It's the person's ability to do the work that counts.

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that its just the certification that counts, ability counts a lot too. I didn't want to get in a direct comparison, but now I have to resort to that for discussion purposes. If you have two people that are both excellent NSX mechanics and one is a certified NSX master tech and the other one isn;t, which one would you go to? In the Los Angeles/San Diego area, NSX Modified in Huntington Beach is the place that I get my work done. Larry Garcia, the NSX tech, IS A CERTIFIED ACURA NSX MASTER TECHNICIAN unlike Mark Basch and also maintains and modifies Doug Hayashi's race car, the Pres. of NSXCA Alex V's car, Randy N's Nos injected car that has been recently featured in Numerous magazines such as Turbo Mag, and numerous other highly modified NSX's. Also, various vendors who have had problems with their products have been helped by Larry. Larry solved the problems that Mr. Ogose of Gruppe M Japan had with adapting the Gruppe M Supercharger to U.S. cars when no one else could figure it out, including Mark Basch. Now given that comparison, why would you go to Mark Basch to get work done?

[This message has been edited by 19inchNSX (edited 21 March 2001).]

Why would I go to Mark Basch? Well, being in Dallas, I wouldn't. BUT... if I ever finally splurge on a supercharger, I can have Mark Basch come to me to install it! :)

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

Originally posted by 19inchNSX:
Well, I don't know about what kind of work Mark Basch does, but I heard from someone that he is not a factory trained Acura NSX mechanic. Now I don't know what kind of person you want working on your car, but Acura techs that work on NSX's are required to have certified Acura training that is specific to the NSX. Now, I may be wrong, so if anyone else knows different, prove me otherwise.

No, of course he isn't a factory trained & certified Acura Tech, nor can he read or write. In fact he is a complete ape lives on pizza and coke and only replaces parts he knows were not broken in the first place. Not at all like someone we know & love in LA - or was that Irvine?

When I'm at his shop in PHX tomorrow I'll Xerox all his training certificates and Acura certifications and scan them and e-mail them to you - oh oops, neither your name or your e-mail address is available, I wonder why?

------------------
need more info? private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Originally posted by NSXGOD:
No, of course he isn't a factory trained & certified Acura Tech, nor can he read or write. In fact he is a complete ape lives on pizza and coke and only replaces parts he knows were not broken in the first place. Not at all like someone we know & love in LA - or was that Irvine?

When I'm at his shop in PHX tomorrow I'll Xerox all his training certificates and Acura certifications and scan them and e-mail them to you - oh oops, neither your name or your e-mail address is available, I wonder why?

This isn't Larry if that is what you are thinking. The very fact that you are implying I am trying to hide my identity because you think I am Larry is very insulting. And yes I do live in Irvine you if you really want to check. All I asked was whether or not Mark Basch was NSX Certified, now if you can prove it, fine, all the merrier. Go ahead and post it right in this discussion. Why e-mail it to me when you can let everyone see? I never said I was absolutely sure. Oh yeah by the way....please post Mark Basch's Acura NSX certification, and not a regular Acura tech certification. And Mark, I 'm not the only one on here that has chosen not to show my name and e-mail address, Erobbins, who is supporting Mr. Basch it seems also has his e-mail and identity blocked. Some people do like to have privacy you know.

[This message has been edited by 19inchNSX (edited 22 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by 19inchNSX (edited 22 March 2001).]

Since we're "sort of" on the topic of who can, or can't, work on the NSX, I have a question.

Are only ACURA NSX CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS(who've gone through NSX training) suppose to work on the NSX when it's brought to a dealer for service/repairs?

What if there aren't any ACURA NSX CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS at that dealer, are they(the dealer) required to have one?

Just some food for thought for me.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

I work for a large automotive group and I gladly drove 1,250 miles to have Mark Basch do work on my car. The NSX Master Certified Tech that we have is good at very minor repairs but can't even do an alignment correctly. I wouldn't even consider having him do any tranny work.

When I was at Basch Acura Service having my work done they had cars shipped in from Chicago, Texas and Southern California because these people wanted their work done by an expert and someone that provides customer service second to none.

I just checked out this topic and let's please be constructive and keep Larry out of this whole thing. I could care less whether he has a certification or not (he does), he can work on my car any day of the week. He is an awesome NSX mechanic and IMO the best, although I understand it's just my opinion. This discussion was about Mark Basch, whom judging by his awesome reviews I would take my car to any day as well. I'm only posting here to make sure nobody is wrongfully badmouthed here. Everyone is entitled to their opinoin. Let's not make any great NSX mechanics look bad here. It does a disservice to all of us who are lucky these kind of specialized mechanics exist for our babies. I've spent an entire day working with Larry and he works on this car like nobody I've ever seen. Watching him work makes it obvious he could do this stuff in his sleep... he knows it so well. They have their own NSX race care which they built, and he has put together superchargers, turbos, and some seriously ill mods on the cars of some of the most respected members of this NSX community.
I just wanted to try and stop this before it started even though I'm not the admin here (sorry LUD).
biggrin.gif

I've known MANY people in MANY professions who were FAR better than most of their counterparts with certification. especially in the IT industry. I'm one of them. My 2 cents is that a certification is nice when you don't have anyone else available... so at least you know the guy has some idea of what he's doing. A PRO is A PRO, regardless of what certification he does or does not have. If Mark does not, I am sure there is a reason. Judging by feedback, he could probably get it in his sleep as well. Just my 2 cents, but please let's be nice to our vendors unless we truly have a reason to be upset.

no flames intended. I just didn't want this turn into a vendor vs. vendor bashing discussion. It starts this way and happens all the time.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:

-- Chris

San Diego Rocks!!! I live about 3 hours North...near L.A., My wife and I go alone sometimes to Step out, sometimes we take the kiddies with us to do the theme park thing and now that I'm hooking up with some of the club members down there it gives us another reason to go. Between Vegas, Palm Springs, San Diego, the beach's and Mountians when you live in Ca. there's hardly a reason to ever get on a plane, just take the NSX.

With Mark and Mark's new shop it's just another reason for me to stay over and enjoy the night life
biggrin.gif

Good Luck Guys!!!

Mr. Johnson, I've been waiting for you to post MR. Basch's NSX Certificate like you said. I will be glad to eat my words when you do post it.

[This message has been edited by 19inchNSX (edited 26 March 2001).]

Slander is going to get us no where. Fact is both mechanics are highly respected and talented individuals.

Lud should close this topic, and you two can converse through private email.

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Originally posted by 19inchNSX:
Mr. Johnson, I've been waiting for you to post MR. Basch's NSX Certificate like you said. I will be glad to eat my words when you do post it.

dude, what are you trying to prove? basch will install my supercharger when the NASDAQ bounces, his reputation is beyond reproach.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
· Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
· Dali Racing / Brembo big brake kit
· Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
· Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

Come on guys (or children)! They're BOTH great. Gee, I thought I was on superhonda.org board or some'in.

Best regards,

-Nick

Originally posted by nel:
Come on guys (or children)! They're BOTH great. Gee, I thought I was on superhonda.org board or some'in.
Best regards,
-Nick

you mean it is not? <G> - I must have not looked at the URL clearly as the original post content was clearly started as an unsolicited "Basch Bashing" from a (IMO)questionable source as he clearly knows nothing about him or his work track record - the fact that MB is up to over 30 CTSC's installed as well as 3 GMSC's and so many close ratio transmissions that we have lost track of them all is enough proof of his technical competence for me to make the drive to PHX.

Of course, I am tired of the drive - well except for the weekends at Firebird :), so it's time to open the shop here. As for C.W. wondering about "who will run the SD shop?" - it is just for FOD's* and by appointment only 2-3 times a month - no drop ins. His PHX shop will be scheduled around his appearances here in SD.

*[Friend Of Dali]

------------------
need more info? private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

When does the Virginia shop open?!?! "Dali East" has a nice ring to it...

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 27 March 2001).]

What do think the cahnce of an East Coast Op is? I live 20 miles from the plant that makes Acuras, but nobody around here knows a damn thing about the NSX. If someone GOOD was established here, they would be swamped with business.

------------------
Juice

Back