• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

San Francisco thoughts

Yeah but you gotta make sure if it's ok if your nsx shares in the glory of the garage with his nsx lol. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, haha. That would be quite the sight!

LOL! here's what's in my garage currently,
661426574l.jpg

737681196l.jpg

If I was working in the city again, I would move back to Pacifica. That is the best town, and striking distance to anywhere in the bay. Small town feel ocean views in a lot of places. Better yet, your $$ goes a little further. Actually, you spend the same amount of money usually but get more house and in most cases more view. IMO

Thanks to everyone for the great (and fast!) responses! Yes, with a meet virtually every week or so, it is a much better car scene.

My wife is a teacher, so with both of our incomes I feel quite confident we could enjoy ourselves. The last thing I want to do is sell the car though!

As mentioned in the previous thread, it is still very early in the stages of this possibly happening, so I'm not getting too excited yet (never count my chickens before they hatch...). I have heard nothing but great things, so hopefully this will work out for me. My company lists it as the "East Bay" area. Any insight on that area? Thanks again to all!

**I was just noticing, every to reply drives berlina black NSX's. Very nice!

Well I have lived in the east bay for a while and love it, close enough to the city to party and go out, far enough that its not insane on a daily basis. I have a 3br 2 bath house on 5500 sq ft lot(in a decent part of fremont, not with the rich folk but not in the get aither) and its worth 650-700 I think dunno if that seems reasonable by your standards. ultimately you are the only one who can decide but I can tell you that you can drive almost every month of the year... that alone should make it an easy choice ;-)

great area great members and really not many other places you can surf in the morning and snow board in the evening. I love it here, my wife and I have considered moving out of the area to get a bigger house and be part of the more wealthy in other areas but when it comes down to it niether one of us could live anywhere else :)

I'm a SF native - 3 things...

1. don't call it FRISCO :mad: - dead giveaway you're from another state:rolleyes:

2. Live Here - visit everywhere else

3. it is always expensive - (you get great diviersity and an amazing range of things to do), but the longer you live here the more you can say 'I only paid ***** for my house' On the other hand, you could sell your house when you retire and move to somewhere in the middle and buy a farm to build a track for your NSX:eek: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

1. don't call it FRISCO :mad: - dead giveaway you're from another state:rolleyes:

3. it is always expensive - (you get great diviersity and an amazing range of things to do), but the longer you live here the more you can say 'I only paid ***** for my house' On the other hand, you could sell your house when you retire and move to somewhere in the middle and buy a farm to build a track for your NSX:eek: :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

Richard, we need to do a nsx meet at one of your restuarants :) yummmmmm lol

I remember going to the website for two of your restuarants. But are you also the cookbook author and owner of "chinablue" ?

I have clients that work is SF but live in Gilroy. They go into town 2-3 times a week, but have their meetings around 10 am so they only have a 60 minute drive, and no traffic. If I were you, I would take a compass, and make a 40-50 mile radius. See what towns are in the area, you might be pleasantly suprised.:biggrin:

whats wrong with calling it Frisco? I've lived here my whole life an everyone I know calls it Frisco. I call the sunset "the sets" Get a life

I will be meeting with the "higher-ups" all next week, so I will keep everyone posted (no pun intended). Again, thank you all for the valuable insight!

Chuck

In case Shane's or Yawn's place are not available, here is a link for rental's from Craigslist.

Peninsula:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/apa/

San Francisco:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/

This will give you some info on what other rentals are going for.

As of yesterday, Premium at a local Chevron (Daly City) was $3.62, I am sure others will chime in and post what they are paying in their areas. Which may be lower or in alot of cases it will be higher.

Comcast High Speed Internet service is $45.00 a month. Plus installation. Since you will be working from home, I presume you will need to know this.

If I were you I would ask for the "world" for your relocation package and scale back from there. You should probably ask if they could fly you and your wife out for several days to look for a place to stay.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited:
I have lived in the SF Bay Area almost all of my life. In my opinion, the best way to live here is not to live in SF itself, but to live somewhere on the Peninsula, East Bay, or perhaps north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I love visiting SF, and all these places are a short drive from it. But if you actually live in SF,

1. The prices get even more absurd than around it (for typically a tiny lot with no privacy or real yard)

2. The fog and cold can change the climate from the near-perfect temperatures here near Redwood City to quite uncomfortable (remember Mark Twain's quote?) unless you pick the right areas of the city

3. The hills are very NSX-unfriendly (not from the slope being too much, but from the sharp changes from flat to hill which could scrape the nose spoiler like crazy or maybe even bottom you out -- I don't drive the NSX to SF unless I know my route will avoid the big hills) and

4. Unless you get a place with private parking, finding parking and theft concerns for your NSX when you do find a spot will be a constant issue.

Now admittedly, it is nice to walk to breakfast, or walk back from a club at night, but to me it doesn't make up for the things above. I prefer to visit SF but live outside it. That's my opinion, anyway.

Chip

My dad's looking to move to Kernsville, NC. I'm tellihng him to just to go Mariposa, Ca though.

Oh I love the city! I was just in SF this past Saturday morning at the Marina by Presido and there where so many beautiful people out jogging around, walking and having fun. Then I drove past Baker Beach and the houses up there were awesome! Someday I would love to live there. Such great architecture.

whats wrong with calling it Frisco? I've lived here my whole life an everyone I know calls it Frisco. I call the sunset "the sets" Get a life

Calling it "Frisco" outs you as a n00b and a lamer. Truth hurts; deal.

"San Fran" isn't much better. It's either "San Francisco", or better "The City".

And don't say "Cali" either. Take the time to say each syllable melodically -- "California". Unless you're the governor, in which case it's "KAH LEE FOR NEE AH".

The SF Bay Area is simply exquisite. If you can afford it, come one out. Be well prepared for the sticker shock, however. Last week in Danville I saw a gas station charging $4.099 for 91 octane. It'll be that level all over here in a few months.

I too am a born-and-raised San Franciscan.... lived there my entire life until two years ago when I moved 20-minutes north (over the Golden Gate bridge). I just couldn't take the bad-NSX environment any longer: horrible streets (pot holes to trash and break your wheels if you're running low-profile tires), no place safe to park the car (except in my garage), super expensive for housing, etc., etc.

I would highly recommend the East-, South- or North Bay areas -- then you can drive in to SF whenever you want (or better yet BART in) to go to great resteraunts, museums, music performances, stores, etc., etc.

Harry

"San Fran" isn't much better. It's either "San Francisco", or better "The City".

And don't say "Cali" either. Take the time to say each syllable melodically -- "California". Unless you're the governor, in which case it's "KAH LEE FOR NEE AH".

Right on Bob, on every count, (except the Governator calls it"CUH LEE FOR NYA"). Give 'em hell.

"Cali", I hate it...

Not to hijack, but have you seen this? Watch the vid, San Franciscans, and tell me what you think.

Your Sig says it all. Nuff said. Hope to never run into you on the streets.
Plus you dont' even live in Frisco. You're just a faker posing as if you live in San Franciso.

"SFBay Area is exquisite"??? Just say Bay Area. He asked about Frisco not Redwood City.

Last edited:
I don't live in the bay area, but oakland, SF, redwood, san Bruno, Pacifica, half moon, it's all really the same to me. But there really is only one SF, and that's SF. (from an outsider POV)

I grew up in Sacramento and always dreamed of being in SF after college (I'd watch "Streets of San Francisco" and get revved up about the City - corny, I know). Upon graduation (years ago), I took a job in the Bay Area. It was the second best decision I ever made (first best was marrying my wife, Lisa :smile: --you reading this babe?).

SF, to me, is the best city in the U.S. It has the best combination of climate, cuisine, nightlife, attractions, culture and tolerance of all peoples you will find anywhere. You can truly be yourself in SF and people are ok w/ it.

I worked in the City and lived in the suburbs in the East Bay (not Eastshore, but Diablo Valley - San Ramon first, then Livermore). I worked in Concord, San Ramon, Walnut Creek, SF and Daly City before leaving the Bay and moving back to the Greater Sacramento area last year. Those 10 years in the Bay were some of the best times of my life. I watched the Dotcoms build and bust and then saw Web 2.0 start to take shape. It was fun doing projects for Genentech too...ok, I'm getting off topic. Sorry.

Home prices in the Bay will always be high. It's one of those things you have to suck up and take to get the awesome benefits of living there. Being close to SF is just as good as being there w/o the headaches of parking, crowds, etc. If you like suburbs, try San Ramon, Danville, Pleasanton, Dublin and Livermore. That's part the East Bay (the true East Bay is Oakland, but that's another debate) and the cities are clean, nice and safe. You can BART to SF in 45 minutes. Prices are still high in those cities, but less than SF and San Jose.

I tried to get my entire family to move to the Bay, but they wouldn't, so my wife and I moved back to our hometown to be closer to family.

I'll say this about the Bay area - if my family lived there, I'd never leave it.

You may feel the same way once you get there. Driving across the bridges, sitting at the waters edge and seeing beautiful hills in the Bay Area make it worth every penny. Best of luck w/ your decision. CA is an awesome place to live.

Oh, the best part? The Northern CA NSX (Sac, Bay, Valley, etc) guys and gals are true NSX fanatics and are a fun bunch to hang out with.

I moved to SF from southern California last year. If you have the means to live in the city, I highly recommend it. I've got an apartment in pacific heights and I like it so much I am considering buying propery in SF within the next year or so. In my opinion it's like living in Manhattan without many of the downsides. However, it is still very, very expensive.

It's counterproductive to drive a car here. I keep my NSX garaged for trips out of the city. Public transit or taxicabs to get around town. It actually saves a bundle on maintenance and gas - instead I pay extra on rent and eating out. San Francisco has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the states, and they're all extremely high quality and from every corner of the world. Nothing but NYC can compare to it in terms of accessibility and quality - and then it's still a toss-up, because of the west coast's amazing produce and seafood.

Mike

Well guys, after all of this great conversation it appears that the offer wouldn't be fiscally beneficial at all. The relocation package is not what I thought it would be. Our company only offers a COL increase for a set timeframe also...so after that time, I go back to the base pay (plus bonus of course, but I don't like to include that in my income). Things may change in due time, but for now it's back to the drawing board...

I am working Ft. Myers, FL this week and have been talking to the the local area Manager (he is formerly a wine rep) and he has been talking about wine country all night!!! It's like rubbing salt on the wound...

Back