• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sand Blasted My NSX - Advice Needed

Sand Blasted My NSX - **Added Pictures**

I work as a civilian on a military installation. Last Monday one of my coworkers came running into my office and told me I better get outside and move my NSX. When I got outside there was four contractors running those huge blowers on wheels and a huge cloud of dust.

These blowers are designed to pick up any dirt, pebbles or debris off the asphalt and blow them out a 12" exhaust duct at high velocity. Then the asphalt is clean enough to reseal. Our unit had hired these contractors to resurface some of the asphalt on base.

I could see through the dust that one of them has his machine about two feet from my NSX with the exhaust duct tilted directly up at my NSX. I can see a thick 12" thick plume of dirt and debris pelting the side of my car so I ran over to the guy and screamed at him to shut the machine off but he wouldn't (the blower is really loud). My NSX is literally covered in dirt and dust and the whole hood has countless tiny pebbles all over it. Not knowing what else to do I called Security Police. They respond in less than a minute and direct the whole crew to shut down their blowers.

Well, to make a long story short, my NSX has tiny paint knicks (most of them down to the aluminum) all over it. One dent is about and inch square. The paint on both rear veiw mirrors is ruined. Both turn signal lights are cracked. The hood, front clip and fenders also have chips everywhere. The windshield needs replacing. Even the parts of the car that weren't directly hit had so much dirt on them that the clear coat is ruined. There was over an inch of tiny pebbles accumulated on the windshield wipers and on the rear truck hatch. Unbelievable. :mad:

The sad part is they weren't even supposed to be in that part of the parking lot. Earlier in the day they had notified our building that the NORTH side of the lot was going to be resurfaced. My car was over 600 yards away on the SOUTH side. The owner of the company said later that the mouthbreather running the blower that was aimed at my NSX was trying to blow the dust off my car with "clean air" and didn't realize he was just picking up more debris and sandbasting my car. He also graciously offered to have my car "detailed". I enformed him of the poor choice of vehicles his worker chose to damage and that a new paint job was probably in order. What an idiot.

Anyway, I had three witnesses fill out statements and Security Police had the base photographer document the vehicle damage very thoroughly. Base Security really handled the situation very professionally. I got an estimate today and as I feared, the only way to repair the damage is a complete vehicle repaint. The estimate is not complete but I was told it will be near 10K. :eek:

Does anybody have an idea of any tricks the contractors insurance company may try to pull? I would really like my car back to way it was and I'm sure they're going to baulk at the $10,000 estimate.

I'll post pics when I get them.

Copy_of_DSC_0005.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0009.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0010.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0014.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0016.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0017.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0018.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0020.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0021.jpg

Copy_of_DSC_0022.JPG

Copy_of_DSC_0024.JPG

Last edited:
the least they can do is cover your deductible if you go under your own insurance under your comprehensive coverage.

OMG what a NIGHTMARE .... good luck, they SHOULD fix your car, even if it takes repainting the whole vehicle .... if it was me i'd be also very mad, I think you did all perfect so far, just get your car fixed now .... good luck ...

Oscar

PS: They were supposed to COMPLETELY isolate that area to avoid stuff like this + your car been RED - EXOTIC etc ... whoa .. what a bunch of idiots (the sandblasters) .... that's why I only take my nsx to work once a week ...

Worst case you go through your own insurance company, pay the deductible, and your company goes after the other companies insurance. Someday they should be able to recover your deductible too. Also I would think you could file a diminishing value claim to your insurance company. They should pay it and again bill the other company. You will probably have to pay someone who specializes in writing diminishing value claims to write you one. Repainting the car will hurt its resale and its doubtful that it will be as good as Honda did.

I have forgotten which NSX book it is in (probably Brian Long's, I have about 5 books I have bought/read on NSX), but I remember reading that the original paint process is about 24 or 27 steps including 4 seperate bakings in the oven. The first couple steps are coats of anti-corrosion finishes and such (aluminum does not rust, but it still corodes).

I would try to research this and try to follow a similar process as closely as you can, and deffinitely point all this out to whatever insurance company. I actually think $10K may even be low. I can do further research later if you need help, but I am running late right now.

Best of luck, what a bizarre event.

What an awful thing to happen. :frown: I hope you get it worked out with the paint, and getting them to pay since they are clearly at fault!

This story gets me upset. I'm not sure I believe the incompetence of the man working the blower. Even in my housing complex when they are cutting the grass, the workers leave enough space as to not get grass on my car or ask me to move it to a safer location. The guy should have done the same thing. I'm sure they do this kind of thing every day and should be aware of the consequences of paint damage.

Even your colleage had enough brains to come and warn you, why didn't they?

Anwyays, there should be NO fault on your part. Your insurance company should have nothing to do in this situation. Keep working with the people who did the damage to cover this at 100% their cost.

At first, their insurance company will try and "low ball" the appraisal. Also, the law says that you can bring your car to your body shop of choice. Get a "real estimate" and work with the body shop to break the insurance company's balls to get the job done right. The manager of the body shop will be your friend in this case. Be nice to him and make sure he has gets enough $$ to get the job done right.

MaxG makes a good point - listen to that carefully! It is their fault - they should pay and there will be diminishing value to your car even after a "perfect" paint job. No Doubt! You really need to make sure that whatever estimate you get for paint is from the most highly qualified most super dooper dude even if you have to ship the car to him. That's 100% - there is a guy in New York that is the best - I can get his name for you. You should contact him and ask what he would charge- if there is anyone nearer you that is "almost" as good and what would he think the cars value has diminished as a result.

My good friend John, knows this guy and has taken his NSX there and he lives many miles from him! It's worth it to get the best when this kind of thing happens. Terrible - so sorry- I can sure understand your anger but gotta do the right thing by the car! PM me if you want the name of the guy that is the best!

Tim

My condolences!

I would get a lawyer to send a letter to the contractors company and the military installation. That way they know your serious and this incident could effect any future contracts for the contractor.

my 2cents

That really sucks! Don't let your insurance company get involved if you can help it. The insurance company for the contractor is the entity to deal with unless they try to deny liability or really try to nickel and dime you on the repaint. Then it might be easier for your company to handle it and subrogate.
It probably wouldn't hurt to put your company on notice while you negotiate. Some policies specify that you must notify the carrier within a specified time frame, often 30 days.

And, don't forget the free rental while the car is in the shop.

+1. It will go against "you"!

+2. I would send them the quote, if they balk at it then it might be time to get a lawyer involved. You might also want to pursue the diminished value of your car since it will no longer be OEM.

I feel really bad for you, this would be a horrible situation to have to deal with, hopefully it gets sorted out correctly without a lot of headaches. :mad:

My good friend John, knows this guy and has taken his NSX there and he lives many miles from him! It's worth it to get the best when this kind of thing happens. Terrible - so sorry- I can sure understand your anger but gotta do the right thing by the car! PM me if you want the name of the guy that is the best!

Tim

Talk to Prime member Pbasso about your issue, he does excellent work and while he might not be able to do the work, he's in NE I believe. He can probably give you an idea of what it takes to get it done right and maybe able to recommend someoene close to you.

Diminished value and your ability to collect on it varies from state to state. It might be time to consult an insurance expert.

+1 Talk to Prime member Pbasso about your issue.

He is very knowledgable about painting the NSX. Especially Formula Red. The formula red has a tinted mid coat. Ask member UHuhz in Portugal about this. He painted his car and it wasn't the right color. He called Pbasso and he told him exactly how to paint it. He repainted his whole car again and now it is the perfect color.

Just have the insurance company salvage the vechicle and ask to buy the car back. That is probably the best way to come out even or maybe ahead in this deal.

Just have the insurance company salvage the vechicle and ask to buy the car back. That is probably the best way to come out even or maybe ahead in this deal.

I don't know if this is a good idea, wouldn't you end up with a salvage title and a non OEM paint job. This might be a lot worse to resale than having a clean title with paint work.

What a godawful story. If the contractor's insurance company balks at the slightest detail of restoring your car, find a lawyer who can tell you what your options are. Maybe a Prime member in the Phoenix area can recommend a good one.

Thats really horrible man! Its hard to believe someone could actually be that stupid, but I'd hate to think it was deliberately malicious also.

What year is the car? Total repaint plus body damage may hit the point where the insurance company calls the car totaled. :(

There's no way in hell I would let my insurance pay for this. It's 100% their fault, they pay.

+1. It will go against "you"!

Maybe and maybe not. If this was a car accident and the other party was at fault according to the police report and they have insurance, you can choose to go through your own insurance company. You will pay your deductible, but it will not count against you and your insurance will go after the other parties insurance company for the money so they aren't really paying and have no reason to count it against you. This puts all the leg work on your insurance company, that's what you pay them for. They will also recover your deductible, but its usually not guaranteed. I've ended up having to go this route twice and in both cases got my deductible back and it didn't count against me. This can also be the fastest method to get your car repaired as there should be no BS between you and your insurance company over repairs.

This case is a bit different since its not a car vs car accident and there is no police report, but there is a "Security Police" report with witnesses. It also sounds like he has the contact information for the other parties insurance. It also seems like fault has been established. But again I said worst case scenario, if the other party is willing to pay and everything meets your standards just go that route and save your deductible amount.

Last edited:
Back