• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Satellite Radio/iPod

I want to have a unit that plays satellite radio (xm/sirius), and has a hookup for ipod/iphone that charges, regular radio and possibly CD (in case it ends up deactivating the trunk cd changer). I've read of jett's setup, but that seems like you have to have to designate one of the "cds" to a separate receiver. I would just like one receiver that already encompasses the satellite. Also, if there is a single DIN that does this, it might be an easier install--so can just swap out the OEM radio head? Thanks. dvd/navi--don't really need it in my case.

Well, you can not "just swap out the OEM radio head" You need to heavily modify the dash (lots of time and skill) for it to look oem. Or buy and paint a console from SOS/Downforce. Console costs hundreds, plus paint, plus new head unit plus a wire adapter (SOS sells those too) It's not as easy as most cars. The least expensive way is to use the USA spec adapter that has two connections (one is he IPOD the other can be for your satelite radio) This gives you thr radio, ipod and satelite thru your oem radio. The only draw back is no CD's, but with an ipod who uses CD's anymore. Just rip the cd's to the ipod. Do a search and see what it takes to do it....

Well, you can not "just swap out the OEM radio head" You need to heavily modify the dash (lots of time and skill) for it to look oem. Or buy and paint a console from SOS/Downforce. Console costs hundreds, plus paint, plus new head unit plus a wire adapter (SOS sells those too) It's not as easy as most cars. The least expensive way is to use the USA spec adapter that has two connections (one is he IPOD the other can be for your satelite radio) This gives you thr radio, ipod and satelite thru your oem radio. The only draw back is no CD's, but with an ipod who uses CD's anymore. Just rip the cd's to the ipod. Do a search and see what it takes to do it....

Sounds like it's going to take some dollars and work to go that way. With the USA spec, I will still need a separate satellite receiver right? If so, I can't think of anywhere to place it on the dash without it not looking good. I saw some pics of it mounted on top of some vents. I would prefer to have it within the console so it looks more oem.

Replacing the oem stereo is difficult and very expensive. If replacing the stereo was as easy as removing the oem stereo and inserting a modern replacement stereo, I would do that myself. The USA-Spec adapter is a great alternative though, as you can add modern sound components while keeping your stereo system and interior looking completely stock. No cutting or other permanent changes are necessary.

To add Sirius XM, you will need to add a satellite receiver. I have a Roady XT clipped to the vents and I agree it doesn't look that great. Maybe you could get a "black-box" type of XM receiver that hides up under the dash somewhere, invisible, and control it with a remote? Of course then you wouldn't be able to see the display. I haven't researched this idea, just a thought.

The latest trend is to cancel your XM subscription and just create a personalized Pandora station using the Pandora app (free app) for the iPhone, and play that through the USA-Spec adapter. You wouldn't happen to be an iPhone user, would you?

Back