• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Save 50lbs by swapping wheels...FULL carbon fiber barrels / magnesium face...

Check out these Dymag wheels - new technology and 3 times stronger than forged aluminum!

davisnsx.jpg

-My set is coming in 8 weeks. Wheel looks larger because the face comes all the way out to the outer lip.

100_1926.jpg

20"s... less than 20lbs/wheel. Pure look and lightness.

innerweave.jpg

Full CF, zoomed into the weave... my set: 19x10R & 18x8.

100_1923.jpg

Check out the inner weave.

Please PM me for more details on pricing and availability. These orders take 8 weeks.

i remember something about these wheels over a year or so ago and their was problems with them not actually being made or being sold through another party then they disapeared, but I dont remember the details

let us know how it turns out :)

If stock rims for '94-'01 are:
16.75lbs (F)
20.85lbs (R)

Where do you get 50lbs of weight savings? You're going to need 12.5lbs of weight reduction per corner for this number, do you have a 16" front rim that weighs 4.25lbs, or a 17" rear that weighs 8.35lbs?

The company that produces this wheel came on prime and several other forums, including a corvette forum, about a year to a year and a half ago claiming radically light rims... It turns out, after a member of a corvette forum took a sample rim that was *supposed* to weigh 8lbs from a company rep and threw it on a scale, the scale showed the rim was in excess of 16lbs.

I would have to guess he is refering to saving 50lbs as compaired to the avg 18/19 non lightweight wheel combo? Like my HP Evos that seem to weigh 50lbs each:wink: :tongue:

"It turns out, after a member of a corvette forum took a sample rim that was *supposed* to weigh 8lbs from a company rep and threw it on a scale, the scale showed the rim was in excess of 16lbs."

WoW! I used to be 396 RAT on that forum, I imagine that vendor got hammered. I guess they didnt think anyone owned a scale?
At 20 lbs quoted for these wheels, they probably are some of the lightest
in the above mentioned size.

"3 times stronger than forged aluminum"
Pretty bold statement........., need to slam a few into a curb and find out.

do wheels generally experience much heat from marathon heavy braking sessions? i'm just curious because i know that carbon fiber will experience structural heat damage and until its really bad you can't tell just by looking, these seem really damn cool though =) i guess that wheels normally don't get very hot so its not a big deal unless you run over an armadillo or something, keep us posted on this, its very interesting

Not sure about the rest of you, but I think these wheels are pretty sick. If I remember correctly, these wheels are on the new Koenigsegg CCX.:eek:

Davis, your website doesn't seem to be working. I would like more details on these wheels. Is this the same Dymag that used to make the ZR-1 wheels? These are big claims and everyone is going to be skeptical. I have to say the wheels are some of the coolest looking I have seen if they really perform. Please give some details.

They are in the review section of the new Import Tuner mag..They listed out I believe at $2500 per wheel:eek: Make sure you keep us posted on how they hold up to street use.

scorp965 said:
It turns out, after a member of a corvette forum took a sample rim that was *supposed* to weigh 8lbs from a company rep and threw it on a scale, the scale showed the rim was in excess of 16lbs.

LOL! That tells it all. Looks and weights are only two negligeable aspects in the view of safety. Ok, I admit that I only trust German and Japanese wheels because these are the only two countries where manufacturers must follow strict governmental laws in producing wheels.

Like everyone, I always love the idea of loosing some weight from the car and these wheels look very good to me.
But I still have questions though. The higher sensitivity of carbon fiber to heat is already mentioned.
But also, as far as I know at least, carbon fiber is only stronger in tensile strength but definately not in hardness. So, from that I would assume these wheels would scratch very easily. I wonder how resistant they are to rocks, curbs and other objects coming in to contact with them. And how do you change your tire on these??? Normally, shops use a kind of heavy press in combination with heavy tire irons to get a tire of or on the rim. I can image that doing that with these wheels would quickly destroy the edge of the rim.

evof575gtc said:
don't something silmilar to these come standard on that 200mph+ koenigsegg?

Yup, they are one and the same. I saw these at SEMA in their booth, and they are very nice wheels. They were on a Mosler MT900 in the booth.

Dysan is the manufacturer, sold as Dymag, and the US distributer is http://www.rennworx.com/

Attachments

• P1050442 (Medium).JPG
    P1050442 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 427
  • P1050432 (Medium).JPG
    P1050432 (Medium).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 473
Expensive Dymag's on an otherwise stock street NSX.. to save corner weight.. that is just ridiculous IMO, if not the very definition of bling.

If there is member interest in Dymag's or other composite wheels, I'd recommend first searching around on the noble forums, as there is a good recent discussion below. A few had attempted to setup a group buy awhile back unsuccessfully, and other owners have been down this path.

http://nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704&page=3&highlight=dymag

A few key points:

- Carbon Composite wheels like the Dymag's for production sports cars are expensive, often in the range of $1750-$2000 per wheel plus depending on model and sizes.

- Just because a few have managed to obtain DOT certification means little... carbon composite wheels are not set and forget... they will require far more extensive maintenance; often in the form of entire replacement to maintain safety, as any delamination can result in catastrophic failure far under rated stress loads. Even for club road race or casual street driving applications, few could afford to properly maintain them. No off the shelf parts or quick fix solutions either when your in a pickle.

- Catastrophic failure can result in entire disintegration of the wheel at speed, as opposed to a bent rim half. Often, this can be the difference between driver and vehicle recovery on track.

- The FIA and other sanctioning road race bodies do not allow them due to concerns on their integrity.

- Carbon while having a higher tensile strength, does not have the same hardness, malleability, and integrity under high thermal loads as modern forged materials.

- For all these compromises, the corner weight savings is frankly negligible relative to other comparable standard offerings in this price range, like high end BBS 3pc magnesium road race wheels when considering standard 18X10 sizes. Comparing savings to the stock single piece cast wheels is completely retarded.

- FEA analysis shows that wheel stresses are exponential by load, so these composite offerings are still more appropriate to bikes... whereas the loads from weight, heat, and mechanical grip are far lower than on heavy production cars.

- While a few have dabbled with them, my personal conclusion is at this time... they are best left mounted on the Mosler 900S looking sly at SEMA, or on a future episode of Unique Whips; promoting the brand. There is a reason their size chart is dotted around 19 and 20 inch plus sizes.

Last edited:
when i was at Status Auto Design this weekend to get my tires mounted, i took a look at their carbon Dymags.

i'll tell you this, the magnesium face weighs more than the barrel.
if i had to guess it was about 5 pounds for that 19inch wheel.
that is insanely light. think NSX-R seats.

when i picked it up, i felt all the weight shifted to the face/spokes.
the barrel weighs nearly next to nothing.

Who cares about 50lbs? What I care about is 50lbs of UNSPRUNG ROTATING mass.

I bet that'll feel like removing 300 lbs from the body, not to mention what Ill do for your suspension rebound.

Who cares about 50lbs? What I care about is 50lbs of UNSPRUNG ROTATING mass.

I bet that'll feel like removing 300 lbs from the body, not to mention what Ill do for your suspension rebound.

Yes, you are right Dave. By the way, I just got the new Road and Track and if you look at the new Callaway C16 it looks to have these wheels on it as well. John makes some interesting points, but I still think these are very cool. Imagine these wheels with your Todas and a set of ceramic or the ZMI titanium rotors, you will have reduced unsprung mass to nothing! :cool:

Back