• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Saw the "Gassaver" device in a newpaper artical. real deal?

You know those cheap fake devices which used to appar in the pages of JC Whitney? the "toronado", or the "supercharger in a can". Well, I read about this device today in an news article (not advertisment) in our local newspaper. It's called the Gassaver Platinum device. http://www.fuelsaverdevice.com/products.html

The article states that in an average engine only 65% of the gasoline is burnt within the engine. The purpose of the catilitic converter is to burn about 30% of the unburnt gas by reacting it with platinum. However since the gas is burnt in the exhaust system, the energy is released as heat and does not help power the vehicle.

The gassaver introduces platinum into the engine so that the extra 30% is burned within the cylinders producing a claimed 22% increase in gas milage. What was newsworthy, says the article, is that an accredited government testing labrotory found the actual gas milage increase to be MORE than 22%.

I checked out the web site for information and found that the device is on sale for $99 (regularly $199. The platinum liquid refil is $19.95. The website is short on real information, such as how long a refil lasts. Even if the thing works, it may cost more to operate than it will save.

My questions are:

1. Do you think this is on the level?

2. Assuming that it works, does it increase gas milage by increasing engine efficency and POWER? Meaing, at full throttle, will the engine make more power with the device than without it?

What do you thnk?

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

.... and this is in Motorsports because ............ ???????

Think I'll get me some platinum pistons!
biggthum.gif

Here you go - $15 - report on your findings. <!--StartFragment -->
pain.gif

The real unbiased story here

D'Ecosse said:
.... and this is in Motorsports because ............ ???????

Think I'll get me some platinum pistons!
biggthum.gif

Here you go - $15 - report on your findings. <!--StartFragment -->
pain.gif

The real unbiased story here

Yes. wrong catagory. Thanks for finding that Consumer Reports article. I put no faith in devices like this. The thing that brought this to my attention is that it was reported as front page news in our local newspaper, the Intellegencer Journal.

If any of these items actually worked, they would be standard in every car on the road from the factory. The car companies spend millions looking for fractions of a MPG improvement, so the cost of these (if they were effective) would be a bargain to the automakers.

mikec said:
Yes. wrong catagory. Thanks for finding that Consumer Reports article. I put no faith in devices like this. The thing that brought this to my attention is that it was reported as front page news in our local newspaper, the Intellegencer Journal.

Perhaps it should be called the Gulliblicious Daily.

One of the best devices I have come across. I put one on an old ford truck and one on my Trans Am. The benefits were immediate and got better as time went by, not only did my fuel economy improve but so did my performance. I reduced oil changes the oil stayed cleaner longer. Hesitation became obsolete, and internally the engine stayed cleaner. I would recommend it fully, buying 3 more very soon.

I tried one on a GE CF-34B1 turbofan engine on one of our jets at work. I guess it couldn't withstand the 800c ITT temps. But before it burned up, fuel flow was down from 1500 lbs/hr per engine to 1499 lbs/hr. :biggrin:

You know how we save actual fuel at work?

Single engine taxi out and in.

PPAS ($2 million book of altituted and cruise settings that the company used our pay cuts to buy) - an expensive book that ends up showing headwind - go fast, tail wind - pull the power back.

Stay at altitude longer and use steeper idle thrust decents.

Don't start the APU (Auxilary Power Unit - A/C on the ground) until 10 min prior to departure. - I translate this to get in the plane and start the APU because there is no way in hell that I am sweating my ass off in a hot plane after they took a 30% paycut from me.

All told I believe our fuel savings are around $6 million a year from previous fly as fast you can years.

You can save money in a car by managing your energy. If you drive the car like your loudmouth Grandma is in the next seat about ready to rip your head off for not driving smoothly you can save about 10%. Also Myth Buster did a show on tailgating big trucks.

* 55mph control: 32mpg
* 100ft: 35.5mpg, 11% improvement
* 50ft: 38.5mpg, 20%
* 20ft: 40.5mpg, 27%
* 10ft: 44.5mpg, 39%
* 2ft: 41mpg, 29%

The fuel economy actually dropped at 2ft. Andrew Smith's theory was that at 2ft, Grant got nervous with the throttle as it was difficult to maintain that 2ft gap.

I manage a fleet facility that is mostly made up of law enforcement vehicles [crown Vics./Tahoes] and I get this all the time. Salesmen want to sell me some device that will save fuel. Apparently these salesmen have never ridden in a police cruiser. Cops are not concerned about fuel savings while running hot to back up other units. This pretty much ends the conversation when I tell a saleman that. Turbonater:rolleyes:

Back