• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scamming the Scammer - Watch me do it.....

Scamming the Scammer - Watch me do it.....

Shortly after I posted the Supra for sale on AutoTrader, I got the email below. Wow, it was quick so I was very surprise.

********************************************************************************************
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 11:05 AM
To: Email removed
Subject: Re: Fwd: Owner : AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead

Dear,

I spoken with my client, I am delighted to tell you that he has recommended your vehicle and has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $23000, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ($16000) when payment gets to you and refund $7000 balance to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping and other tax charges.

After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers) and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer. Confirm this and forward your Name, Address and Phone nu mber for payment to be made to you as soon as possible.

David Walters
NOTE:This deal can be cancelled if by the time of pick and vehicle is found to deviate from the condition you notified on the ad.

********************************************************************************************

Some of you may or may not have seen this email before. But basically the guy above is trying to scam $7000 out of me. And here is how it works. The car listed for sale at $16,000. However, he wants to send you a $23,000 check and you just refund back the $7000. The cashier check that he's sending is definitely going to be fake. By the time your bank notify you that it is a fake check, your $7000 refund would be long gone already. As you can see, it takes a little bit of greed and stupidity to fall for this type of scam.

It must be his lucky day because he got the wrong person to scam, me. LOL.....hahahaha.....What I'm going to do is to try and make it as costly to him as possible. I will make him FedEx the payment OVERNIGHT to me, and won't take anything less than overnight. (It ain't cheap overnighting stuff via FedEx). After that, I will tell him FedEx delivers to the wrong address and have him re-do it all over again. Let's see how much money I can make this sucker spend with FedEx!!!! hahahahaha. See my return email below.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 11:05 AM
To: david walters [mailto:[email protected]]
Subject: Re: Fwd: Owner : AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead

Hi David,

That is definitely great news!!! However, I would like to let you know that I have two local buyers wanting to purchase the car and pay for it right away. But to be fair, you contacted me first so I will give you the first opportunity. If you are not serious about buying the car, please let me know now. That way we won't waste each other valueable time.

And if you are serious about purchasing my car, I must receive your payment check as you've mentioned below - IMMEDIATELY. I will have the $7000 refunded back as soon I get the cashier check. That's not a problem at all. However, you must have it FedEx OVERNIGHT to my address below and email me the tracking number. I do not have time to wait for days, so the payment must be FedEx Overnight IMMEDIATELY. If I don't get a FedEx overnight tracking number soon, then the deal is off and I will sell the car to the local buyer.

Tuan Le
Fake Address Goes Here
Houston, Texas 77042

Please make sure your client take good care of the car afterward, I would greatly appreciated. :) Let me know if you have any questions. May you and your family have a wonderful holiday season.

Thank you
Tuan Le

hlweyl said:
That reminds me of www.419eater.com. Scamming the scammers. Some of those stories are so funny, I was literally falling out of my chair laughing.

o man..... had tears i my eyes reading that....ROFL!!!

Anyway, keep us posted on this one....

That is exactly the reply I got here when I was selling my Benz.

The lesson I learned? The problem is so prevailent that hardly any investigating department cares. :confused: I'll be interested to see how far you can take it.

Well....Here it is. Below is the response from that scammer. The damn idiot doesn't know how to turn the freaking CAPS key off.

I told him if I do not get a FedEx overnight tracking number within the next 24 hours then the deal is OFF, and I will sell the car to local buyers. I'll keep you guys updated as soon as I hear back from him.

-Tuan

----Original Message Follows----
To: Tuan Le <Address Removed>
Subject: UPDATE
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:22:19 -0800 (PST)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: from web53002.mail.yahoo.com ([206.190.39.192]) by mc6-f35.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:22:20 -0800
Received: (qmail 43737 invoked by uid 60001); 27 Nov 2004 14:22:19 -0000
Received: from [81.199.85.150] by web53002.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:22:19 PST
X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jG0vkz1Ww7F47SiN+1q776w
Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; b=dykBn0HOkmIz62USMPhwPzuiRe7NI7MysTXpySXlgg4p1zH0yzPLlAvMXZIWFFyF/1aq9SfHiDpuFZiZMEWcTO8D5G80lSAnqcfSDu4xd0zuBFpERunoaojIQAwEr09DPrxqE04Vr2Q0B80vLmkSMgiv1PErWdiaWRBfHVF9IxE= ;
Return-Path: Address Removed
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 27 Nov 2004 14:22:20.0136 (UTC) FILETIME=[81337680:01C4D48C]

DEAR TUAN,
SORRY FOR MY LATE RESPONCE. I WAS OUT OF TOWN ON VEHICLE INSPECTION TRIP. I HAVE ALREADY FORWARDED YOUR PAYMENT INFORMATION TO MY CLIENT,AND AFTER DISCUSSIONS WITH HIM, HE ADVISED THAT YOU SHOULD EXPECT YOUR PAYMENT PACKAGE VIA COURIER SERVICES ON OR BEFORE THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. MY CLIENT ALSO INSTRUCTED THAT YOU MAKE THE VEHICLE READY AS SOON AS PAYMENT GETS TO YOU. HE FURTHER ADVISED THAT YOU REMOVE THE AD. FROM THE INTERNET TO AVOID HAVING PROBLEMS WITH OTHER INTENDING BUYERS SINCE YOUR PAYMENT HAS ALREADY BEEN CONFIRMED. I EXPECT YOU TO KEEP ME INFORMED AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE PAYMENT, SO THAT I WILL INSTRUCT YOU ON WHAT TO DO AND ALSO THE APPROVED SHIPPER TO SEND THE BALANCE TO. PLEASE GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THIS MAIL TO CONFIRM THAT YOU GOT MY MAIL AND ALSO CONSIDER YOUR VEHILCE SOLD TO MY CLIENT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANTICIPATED PATIENCE,UNDERSTANDING AND CO-OPERATION.
HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY.
BEST REGARDS
DAVID

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard.

Tell him you can't deal with the cap keys so he needs to call you at home but you screen your calls. In order for you to pick up the phone he needs to say the code phrase 3 times after the tone. The code phrase is " I am sofa king wee todd it" 3 Times.

Back