• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Scenic/Fun Driving routes near San Diego

Hi everyone,

My name is Jack and I'm from Washington D. C. I'm staying in San Diego for a few weeks and this Sunday I am renting a Viper for the day. Are there any driving routes that I should consider? PCH? I wish that I had my NSX out here, but this will be the first time driving a Viper so I'm excited.

I have lived on the east coast my whole life and I must say that Southern California (San Diego specifically) seems like a great place. I might have to hook up with a Realtor before I leave.

Cheers,
Jack

Up the 5 to San Juan Capistrano, east on the Ortega Highway (CA 74) to I-15 in Lake Elsinore, then south on the 15, east on the 76 to Ramona continuing south and west back to SD.

Miner
Ps. Don't hook up with a realtor. She'll take you for a fortune, although you could find a dive for a cheap $250-300k.

Do our standard Palomar Drive route. There are five distinct sections:
  1. Highland Valley Road
  2. Old Julian Highway
  3. Mesa Grande
  4. East Grade
  5. South Grade
MAP: Palomar Drive

The drive will take you about 2-3 hours, depending on your pace and how often you stop. There's a small General Store across from Lake Henshaw for a nice break, or you can stop at the top at the Palomar Observatory. A good burger at a small dive burger joint (Nessie Burger) next to the Park & Ride at the I-15/CA-76 intersection awaits should you be hungry after the drive.

Start early (around 9:00AM), and watch for the occasional motorcycle or bicyclist.

Back