• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed Twin Turbocharger System

Chris, you mention the use of stock cats and emissions compatibility. Does this system meet California CARB standards?

Actually, I had wanted to ask if the SoS guys had planned on trying to make this system CARB legal. If they do, this will truly be a marvel of a system.

Last edited:
Chris,

SOS sells this as a complete kit or will member be able to purchase specific parts?

I'm really interest in just the turbo manifold.

Thanks

Sorry, at this time, we will only be offering it as a complete kit.

Chris, you mention the use of stock cats and emissions compatibility. Does this system meet California CARB standards?

Unfortunately no. While the system will allow the ability to use cat converters, and the ability to control emissions, there are no plans for a California CARB exception program. The costs and two year commitment to tie up a NSX is far to great. We suggest the CT Engineering supercharger for customers in California, which is the only forced induction system for the NSX that has earned CARB exemption.

-- Chris

I am not sure if this has been asked, but will this kit be replacing the SOS supercharger kit? They are both priced about the same, but the twin turbo kit has gobs more potential.

That's a good question. No, we do not have any plans to replace the supercharger system. While the smooth quick compressor response of the twin turbocharger design has blurred the definition between the advantages of the supercharger, we still feel the two products are distinctive enough to offer and support both.

cheers,
-- Chris

Chris, to add to that comparison of the SOS supercharger it also seems that Twin turbo kit and SOS SC kit have similar hp numbers at similar boost numbers. Since you have driven both types of systems what advantages or disadvantages does one kit have over the other?

power:
You may be comparing the 400 intercooled supercharger system to the 400 intercooled twin turbocharger system, which both produce about the same amount of power (8-8.5 PSI) on stock cats.

The main difference is that the twin turbocharger configuration is capable of more power. The non-intercooled supercharger produces around 360-380 whp on stock 3.0 - 3.2L engines (around 9.5 PSI). With intercooler, this increases about 30 hp. On a built stock stroke engine, this can increase to 450 whp.

The twin turbo system on a stock engine is capable of producing 380 hp (6 PSI on wastegate) or 400+ hp (8 PSI). On a built 3.0 - 3.2L engine this can increase to 500-600 whp depending on capacity of the engine.

response:
Both systems have very smooth response. The positive displacement supercharger has about a 10% advantage in torque for about less than a second in 3rd gear for example. This seems to make it ideal for the "street NSX".

installation:
The non-intercooled supercharger system is the easiest to install. Both the superchargered and turbocharged intercooled systems take about the same amount of time to install.

pricing:
Pricing is pretty similar.
non-intercooled supercharger system: $10,450.00
Laminova intercooled supercharger system: $12,540.00
intercooled Twin Turbocharger system: $11,900.00

Many customers choose the supercharger system because they like the look, sound, and instant response that the twin screw supercharger system lends.

Many customers purchasing the twin turbo system are attracted to the ability to install on a stock engine for now, with the option to increase power by 100-200 hp down the road if they wish.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
-- Chris

So here lies the really crazy question. Assuming a rebuilt engine similar to or better than the stage 2 program SOS describes on their website, could the SOS twin turbocharger system be used with the SOS (or CTSC) positive displacement supercharger? Advantages? Disadvantages? Absolutely mental? Discuss!

Had a chance to drive the twin turbo shop car a little today: WOW. Very impressed. Very smooth power delivery and minimal turbo lag. So much so that it seemed imperceptible in the right rev range. I'd love to take one out on the track someday as the lack of turbo lag and seamless delivery keep the NSX from being a one dimensional animal. The fit and finish is OEM or rather as close as any aftermarket turbo I've seen.

FWIW, I think this is the hp, craftsmanship, and power delivery sweetspot of FI options.

Last edited:
Had a chance to drive the twin turbo shop car a little today: WOW. Very impressed. Very smooth power delivery and minimal turbo lag. So much so that it seemed imperceptible in the right rev range. I'd love to take one out on the track someday as the lack of turbo lag and seamless delivery keep the NSX from being a one dimensional animal. The fit and finish is OEM or rather as close as any aftermarket turbo I've seen.

FWIW, I think this is the hp, craftsmanship, and power delivery sweetspot of FI options.
No vids?

Chris,

2 turbo means 2 air filter elements, correct? Where are they located? I couldn't quite see it from the pics.

Henry.

Beautiful design and set up, maybe next winter, depends on the funds. And to give the new clutch a chance to get used awhile before twin disk:biggrin: Anxiously awaiting updates with vids, keep up the good work.

Chris,

2 turbo means 2 air filter elements, correct? Where are they located? I couldn't quite see it from the pics.

Henry.

That's correct. We use high quality AEM Dry Flow filters. We placed the filters next to and slightly above the transmission where they are away from dirt and debris from the tires. Each is easy to access for service.

regards,
-- Chris

could the SOS twin turbocharger system be used with the SOS (or CTSC) positive displacement supercharger

YEARS ago (2002) , I remember reading about a MR2 in the Ultimate Street Car Challenge that had a supercharger AND turbo ("Twincharging"). It was pretty cool but saddly the car was jury rigged and had issues I believe. Still cranked out a great 320 RWHP and 36.1 mpg.

http://sportcompactcar.automotive.com/69893/0202-sccp-1985-toyota-mr2-uscc/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Ultimate_Street_Car_Challenge_results

BTW, that tiburon was WICKED and my favorite at the time

Last edited:
Hi,
How do they compare in weight added to the car? My novice eyes seem to think that even if they are the same, that the TT places that weight lower?

Hi,
How do they compare in weight added to the car? My novice eyes seem to think that even if they are the same, that the TT places that weight lower?

I'm sorry I missed your question. Are you comparing the supercharger to the twin turbo system? I would have to guess that they are roughly the same weight if you compare the intercooled version of the supercharger - especially if you consider that the heavy factory exhaust manifolds are removed with the twin turbocharger.

regards,
-- Chris

Back