• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Seahawks V Steelers

Antwan Randel El is gone. He's gonna ask for big money and with that performance (throw) he'll get it.

So Hines did get a new contract? good for him. He's one of those guys that's always smiling and having fun and he brings good positive energy to that team.

I thought the Steelers should have won atleast one in the last 5 years. Them Patriots were the roadblock. I thought you guys got robbed that year the Patroits won their first one.

The following was copied from another website- I felt that it covers the penalty / Conspiracy issues pretty well. This was a retort from a Steeler fan known on that board as "Z from the North" and it was directed at a Seattle fan who had been a little less cordial with his accusations of foul play (pun intended) than parties have been here.

No offense is intended to any Seattle fan on this board- I have great respect for you and your team- but there is a time when you have to put foot down and say Enough-

Z from the North said:
Sorry, but pushing off a defender when you're 5 feet in front of a ref is a bad idea...and though it might have been weak...it WAS offensive pass interference.

Let's see what other calls we can cry about? hmmmmm...

How about Ben's touchdown, where the ball clearly broke the plane. Here's a picture of the ball not breaking the plane.

sbXVtd.jpg

It's funny how a guy who was 15 feet away and on the feild saw it, and how the replay official saw it, but folks watching the game from a thousand miles away viewing the play on unofficial camera angles can determine what happened better than someone who was there. It's also funny how people think that they couldn't of moved the ball with a QB sneak on the next play literally from here<........................>to here, if Seattle would've got the spot that they wanted. Now you can STFU and we can move on...

Now maybe you can cry about the 3 holding penalties, where Haggans was clearly mugged, or when Farrior almost got his head ripped off. All were legitimate, and were the standard stuff the O-line gets busted for when trying to buy the QB extra time. Out of 49 pass plays the Seahawks ran, 3 holds isn't a bad ratio....they were their mistakes, not the ref's.

Let's see...they had 7 penalties and we covered 4 of them, so that leaves a false start by Alexander, and 2 holds on punt/kick returns that had no bearing on the outcome of the game.

Maybe I should whine about whether Hasselbeck was touched long before he went down making his fumble a real fumble...or the Seahawk receiver that caught a pass and took 3 steps before he fumbled it and the refs calling it an incomplete pass.
But....I won't whine. Why? because unlike Seahawk fans, I'm used to my team being in the playoffs.
I could see crying if a particular controversial call actually decided the game without question...like if the Seahawks were flagged on a game-winning drive in the last minutes and lost by 1, by 3, or even had an opportunity for 7 to tie and send it to overtime....BUT, your team needed more than 7, more than 10, MORE than 11 to even think about winning!

Now you can put on your flannel shirt, and go hang out with all of your non-football knowledgeable buddies over a double latte at your local Starbucks.
See you in another 30 years.

Enough.

Philip

ERICKGS3 said:
I'm happy for Hines Ward. He is one of the good guys in the league. When people are crying about money, he actually came back and played. Now will he get his money? I don't follow the steelers so I wouldn't know if they did finally sign him to a long term deal or not. I do know that he was holding out at training camp. If they didn't and now they won the big dance, do they pay him or let him go cause they did already win. Bettis too, good for him. He is a class act. I was just saying, it could have been a really good game if it hadn't been for those bad "judgement" calls.

You get what you pay for. NFL officials are the lowest paid in professional sports - I doubt there was anyone on the field making less then the referees, including the uncle of the neighbor of guy who leased satellite uplinks to the visiting sportscasters. I do NOT have the numbers for the individuals, but I doubt there was a striped shirt on the field who makes in a year what Holmgren will get fined for his "playing the striped shirts" comment.

mindretch said:
You get what you pay for. NFL officials are the lowest paid in professional sports - I doubt there was anyone on the field making less then the referees, including the uncle of the neighbor of guy who leased satellite uplinks to the visiting sportscasters. I do NOT have the numbers for the individuals, but I doubt there was a striped shirt on the field who makes in a year what Holmgren will get fined for his "playing the striped shirts" comment.

NFL Refs are part time employees- most of them have day jobs in addition to their officiating capacity.

depending on seniority they make between 25 and 70k per season to call the games.

The calls are about a legit as they could be, I understand that Seahawks fans are dissappointed, but there isn't a controversy here- otherwise we would have the NFL apologizing to Seattle like they apologized to the Steelers after the bad calls in Indy.

This just isn't the case.

a world of doubt...

From certain socio-environmental influences constantly being encountered in daily life, society has become more-or-less a sensationalist-hungry mob. It seems absolutely nothing can occur and take place nowadays w/o a conspiracy theory, subterfuge, chicanery, machinations, or some degree of manipulation. Inherent belief in any system seems to have been shattered.

This is applicable to any new event, occurrence, media coverage of a happening, entertainment, and so forth... :frown:

From Rothlisberger on the tonight show...

[Also to rub salt in the wound of Seattle players and fans, he admits that his rushing TD didn’t really get in. He told Cowher that he didn’t think he quite made it. However they were going for it on 4th down anyway.]

Whatever, bunch of BS anyhow. And guess what, there will be an apology and/or an investigation...just wait.

From a sportswrite on NFL.com:

"On the flip side, the holding penalty against Sean Locklear, nullifying what would have been a Seahawks' first-and-goal on the Pittsburgh 1 in the fourth quarter, seemed a bad call. On almost every Pittsburgh offensive play, a Steelers blocker grabbed as briefly as Locklear grabbed on the down in question; if it was illegal for one team, it should have been illegal for both teams. Owing to the dubious penalty, instead of first-and-goal, Seattle ended up throwing an interception on third-and-long. That interception undid the Seahawks, as they staged a 13-play, 81-yard drive that ended in no points, and undid the Super Bowl itself, converting what might have been a fabulous ending into a lackluster fourth quarter. Seattle faithful also have a legitimate complaint that the fourth-quarter 15-yard penalty on Hasselbeck for "low block" was inexplicable. The rulebook states that during a turnover, neither team may block below the waist. But Hasselbeck wasn't blocking -- he was making the tackle. Check the official Game Book, at 10:54 of the fourth quarter. The league's own Game Book credits Hasselbeck with the tackle on a play where the penalty could be valid only if Hasselbeck was not making a tackle!"

DrVolkl said:
From a sportswrite on NFL.com:

"On the flip side, the holding penalty against Sean Locklear, nullifying what would have been a Seahawks' first-and-goal on the Pittsburgh 1 in the fourth quarter, seemed a bad call. On almost every Pittsburgh offensive play, a Steelers blocker grabbed as briefly as Locklear grabbed on the down in question; if it was illegal for one team, it should have been illegal for both teams. Owing to the dubious penalty, instead of first-and-goal, Seattle ended up throwing an interception on third-and-long. That interception undid the Seahawks, as they staged a 13-play, 81-yard drive that ended in no points, and undid the Super Bowl itself, converting what might have been a fabulous ending into a lackluster fourth quarter. Seattle faithful also have a legitimate complaint that the fourth-quarter 15-yard penalty on Hasselbeck for "low block" was inexplicable. The rulebook states that during a turnover, neither team may block below the waist. But Hasselbeck wasn't blocking -- he was making the tackle. Check the official Game Book, at 10:54 of the fourth quarter. The league's own Game Book credits Hasselbeck with the tackle on a play where the penalty could be valid only if Hasselbeck was not making a tackle!"

Oh- a sportswriter thinks the officials were wrong too? Now that you put it that way I guess the Steelers should just go ahead and turn the trophy over to Seattle, along with their rings.
I guess that settles it then doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Seattle didn't win. They didn't come within 11 points of winning.

If they hadn't got called for holding the Seahawks might have got a TD, they could have got a TD- or maybe the interception was fate anyway, and the next pass would have gotten run back for a Steelers TD.

Two things-

1st. Locklear got called on the foul- even your sports writer acknowledges that he was holding (even if ever so briefly) on that play- he also insinuates Steelers were holding in the same manner but provides no evidence, and the fact remains that penalties were not called. As a result, Seattle took another shot on 3rd down, and they failed to convert- in fact Hasselbeck was intercepted on that attempt- was he not?
What official blew that throw? Who was at fault?

2nd. We don't live in the land of "coulda, woulda, shoulda".

I know it sucks, I'm sorry.

the debate is over, and so is the Super Bowl- move on.

See you next season.

Last edited:
H-carWizKid said:
NFL Refs are part time employees- most of them have day jobs in addition to their officiating capacity.

depending on seniority they make between 25 and 70k per season to call the games.

The calls are about a legit as they could be, I understand that Seahawks fans are dissappointed, but there isn't a controversy here- otherwise we would have the NFL apologizing to Seattle like they apologized to the Steelers after the bad calls in Indy.

This just isn't the case.

Day Jobs! What world do you live in?
This one:
"I hereby agree to participate in all regularly scheduled football games of the Pittsburg [sic] Athletic Club for the full season of 1893. As an active player I agree to accept a salary of $50 per contest and also acknowledge that I will play for no other club during PAC games. "

Or this one:
SUPERBOWL XL TICKETS LOWER LEVEL 40yd-2 Seats Together
Winning bid: US $11,036.00

It is an invitation to all kinds of additional disasters for the Superbowl compensation of the entire officiating team to be about equal to the fair market value of two good seats!

mindretch said:
Day Jobs! What world do you live in?
This one:
"I hereby agree to participate in all regularly scheduled football games of the Pittsburg [sic] Athletic Club for the full season of 1893. As an active player I agree to accept a salary of $50 per contest and also acknowledge that I will play for no other club during PAC games. "

Or this one:
SUPERBOWL XL TICKETS LOWER LEVEL 40yd-2 Seats Together
Winning bid: US $11,036.00

It is an invitation to all kinds of additional disasters for the Superbowl compensation of the entire officiating team to be about equal to the fair market value of two good seats!

Nope- I live in this one- the REAL one.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0829/1245597.html

Quotes to Note-

Start with referee Ed Hochuli, the president of the union. He's a lawyer, as are umpire Jeff Rice and field judge Steve Zimmer.

Gerry Austin, one of the NFL's top referees, is the president of a leadership development group; umpire Ed Coukart and side judge Rick Patterson are bankers; line judge Jeff Bergman is CEO of a medical services provider; side judge John Parry is a corporate pilot; referee Ron Winter, line judge Daryll Lewis, and umpire Ron Botchan are college professors; referee Terry McCauley is a computer scientist; line judge Walter Anderson and field judge David Warden are dentists; line judge Duke Carroll is president of an insurance agency; referee Bob McElwee owns a construction company; referee Mike Carey owns a skiing accessories company

WAIT! Those guys have DAY JOBS?- I think that says they have DAY JOBS!

They don't only wear zebra stripes to work? HOLY SHIT!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0827/1244639.html

This is information from the pay dispute with NFL refs

Quotes to note-

Monday, August 27
Updated: August 29, 8:51 PM ET

The NFL is offering an official entering his fifth season $62,103 in 2001, compared to the $42,295 he would have made last year as a fourth-year official for regular-season and preseason games plus various meetings and clinics. In 2003, he would earn $84,470.

Those numbers are for a fifth season- senior official.

The price of a ticket auction does not in any way indicate the salaries paid to officials- but nice try.
Hey do you want to argue over what they paid the concessions people now, or just except that your team lost the game.

It still won't alter the result.

It truly is sad to see what poor losers y'all turned out to be

I must say Cinncinati, Indianapolis, and Denver had a lot more class.

Last edited:
H-carWizKid said:
It truly is sad to see what poor losers y'all turned out to be

I must say Cinncinati, Indianapolis, and Denver had a lot more class.

even Stealer fans are saying that the Refs sucked...every sports fourm across the Net has people from all over the US saying that they saw Alexander get strangled from behind right in front of the Refs and nothing happend...:rolleyes:

zahntech said:
even Stealer fans are saying that the Refs sucked...every sports fourm across the Net has people from all over the US saying that they saw Alexander get strangled from behind right in front of the Refs and nothing happend...:rolleyes:

From the NFL.com rules section:

"Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass."

This play was the very DEFINITION of offensive pass interference, folks.

He not only pushes off, he literally pushes Hope backwards. My friends, that is textbook offensive pass interference.

sbxl_interference.gif

From the NFL- Today- said:
The NFL defended the officiating in the Super Bowl on Tuesday, two days after the Steelers beat the Seahawks 21-10 in the NFL title game. The league said Tuesday that no mistakes were made by the game officials

Replays on the offensive interference call showed that Jackson's arms made contact with Pittsburgh's Chris Hope and that they separated afterward. Under the rules, pass interference took place ...

The only thing the NFL is going to do post game is fine your coach for his comments.

I honestly hope you folks will finally get "it"

Seattle lost.

There are two ways to behave as a loser- and you folks are really demonstrating that you lose sorely with a gusto that is by far unparalleled among the fans in the league.

I guess you folks will continue to whine about this into perpetuity- so here is my hat into your ring-

You best be glad the Steelers didn't bring their "A" game.
This wasn't the team that took out Cincy, Indy, and Denver- the Steelers you faced were soft. Our playoff team "woulda" demolished the Seahawks without question, or controversey. As it stands, they were off, so Seattle didn't suffer too much embarrassment.
Imagine how bad it "coulda" been.

No amount of bitching and whining will alter the the fact that your football team, and your coaches couldn't beat the Steelers even when they were playing the worst football they played in the post season..

Seriously- it "shoulda" been a slaughter.

As it stands it was defeat. I know it is bitter- but have some dignity.

Last edited:
Your video of one single play is very nice..A play that I didn't know was even in question?...the fact is that both teams had events and behavior that was flag worthy ..only one team was prevented from scoring due to non stop penalty's while the other team was pretty much left to do whatever they pleased...oh well maybe next year Seattle will be allowed to win.

zahntech said:

that wasn't a horsecollar, he got him by the shoulders, not the back of the neck

to insinuate that the referees weren't impartial or the NFL cared who won is childish and idiotic. bad calls happen. they happened to us through the playoffs, they're unfortunate, but part of the game.

if the seahawks fans don't like it, root for the mariners.

there were a couple bad calls... a couple. not as many as you guys seem to think there are. a superbowl caliber team would have been able to beat the steelers on that day, even with the calls. the patriots, as much as i hate them, would have beat us, the colts would have too.. seattle didnt.

better luck next year.

zahntech said:
Your video of one single play is very nice..A play that I didn't know was even in question?...the fact is that both teams had events and behavior that was flag worthy ..only one team was prevented from scoring due to non stop penalty's while the other team was pretty much left to do whatever they pleased...oh well maybe next year Seattle will be allowed to win.

7 penalty calls in 49 attempts is hardly non-stop

That vid is of the offensive pass interference call that John@Microsoft called into question - and it clearly demonstrates the penalty in question that cost Seattle a touchdown.

Did you watch the game?

This is what happens when all the people who don't know jack about the game watch- They sit around like 5 year olds and ask questions about the rules, and why this or that happened- or how something doesn't seem "fair" because their narrow perception of the sport as a whole won't allow them to grasp the reasoning behind the regulations.

Nowadays those folks don't just stand around the watercooler and sound dumb- now they can go on the internet and sound dumb too. What does it prove? That a lot of people watch the Superbowl? That a lot of internet saavy Seattle fans don't know jack about football?- Hey I understand, after all you folks are new to the post season, but guess what- this isn't kickball in the schoolyard- there are no "do-overs" in Professional Football.

So a bunch of folks don't understand the rules. The thing is- the players know damn well what they can and can't do.

If your team didn't want penalty calls they should have played a clean game of football, and not commited fouls directly in front of the officials.

Seattle had some favorable decisions that are highly questionable- Hasselbeck's "incomplete pass"- that WAS a fumble- or how about that reception that was dropped 3 steps later but still called "incomplete"?
Hell- if your team could have figured out how to score those might have been game breakers...

Don't care to discuss those?

The NFL has reviewed the calls, and everything checks out. People who know football looked- they saw the same game the officials did.

Sorry you can't wrap your mind around that.

No team is ever "allowed" to win. Champions overcome adversity in all forms- Champions don't allow their backs to be broken over an interception, or stand around and cry about a call they feel is questionable- Champions go out on the field and acheive.

You don't have champions in Seattle- that is why they lost. For some reason they, and their fans seem to want to dwell upon it...

OK- enjoy.

My fellow Steeler fans and I will enjoy the victory.

Last edited:
"Some are Balls and some are Strikes, but they ain't Nothin' 'til I call 'em"

Guys, guys...the Superbowl was over 2 days ago.

The Steelers themselves triumphed over the single worst call in playoff history, 3 weeks ago in Indianapolis.

Steelers won it.

Seahawks have to be the only team in history to lose with Yards, 1st Downs, Time, and Turnovers on their side.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said "The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the dentists." Meanwhile Joe Montana admitted that his sons are alien spawn and he was off doing some "serious alien sh*t you don't want to even know about"

Also, the NFL announced it will be initiating a trial program of using internet celebreties as referees.
http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/videos/dancing.wmv An unidentified league spokesman was quoted "Not only do these guys not know referees get payed, they would have no idea what to do with the check!"

Back